Dogs in Moab

Jtvegas

Took my dogs last year and La Quinta was very dog friendly. We took our dogs on the trails with us and they stayed in the jeep. We let them walk around when we stopped on breaks. Nobody was there like dog police and nobody really cared. If they are well behaved you can also leave them in the hotel.

Last edited:

Dopey84

Registering a non service dog as a service dog.

A service dog can be a multitude of things not just for disabled people.. They are also there for stress and anxiety... So registering your dog as a service dog for whatever reason is your choice.. But than again my dogs are Family not just a pet. So mine are also registered.

Crystaliner

Doesn't know shit about wheeling
Registering a non service dog as a service dog.

Seems to me if the guy needs his dog with him he is some sort of service dog in one way or another. I think Overlander JK was simply stating there is more than one way to skin a cat.

What Dopey said above

jhires

We took our dogs to Moab and on the trails with us. They stayed in the Jeeps with us and we let them out when we stopped. We didn't ask anyone if it was ok, and nobody protested. We did clean up after them, just like you are supposed to clean up after yourself or use wag bags while you are out on the slick rock. That is not saying it was legal, nor am I saying that someone would not complain during a busy time there.

We do take our dogs a lot of places we aren't supposed to. On the other hand our dogs are well trained. They heel when told, stay put when told, don't run free unless we tell them it's ok, they always return when called, and are rarely more than 50 feet away even when they are free to roam. Certainly can't say that about a lot of dogs.

If you try to follow all the rules all the time your dog will never leave home, the hotel, leave your Jeep, or be off leash.
Best answer is to use your judgement and be prepared to pay a fine or be talked to about the rules if you chose to break them.
emma_amber_pucker_pass_small.jpg

GraniteCrystal

We took our dogs to Moab and on the trails with us. They stayed in the Jeeps with us and we let them out when we stopped. We didn't ask anyone if it was ok, and nobody protested. We did clean up after them, just like you are supposed to clean up after yourself or use wag bags while you are out on the slick rock. That is not saying it was legal, nor am I saying that someone would not complain during a busy time there.

We do take our dogs a lot of places we aren't supposed to. On the other hand our dogs are well trained. They heel when told, stay put when told, don't run free unless we tell them it's ok, they always return when called, and are rarely more than 50 feet away even when they are free to roam. Certainly can't say that about a lot of dogs.

If you try to follow all the rules all the time your dog will never leave home, the hotel, leave your Jeep, or be off leash.
Best answer is to use your judgement and be prepared to pay a fine or be talked to about the rules if you chose to break them.
View attachment 193990

Thanks for this. Our Golden is similar and we frequently break the rules because we trust him. We'll probably take a similar approach when we go now that I know it's possible.

Moochie

Dogs are not allowed in some areas because just their presence can cause problems with the natural habitat of the wildlife that lives there. It doesn't matter how well they are trained.

Labricon

Caught the Bug
I admit to being new to off-roading in a jeep....lots of experience with atv.....and in particular none in desert areas so I am unfamiliar with the ecology, so the following is meant to gain insight and keep me from creating problems when I make my way south to enjoy some trails. Do you have some specific info on how a dog's presence has a greater impact than a convoy of off-road vehicles?

Moochie

I admit to being new to off-roading in a jeep....lots of experience with atv.....and in particular none in desert areas so I am unfamiliar with the ecology, so the following is meant to gain insight and keep me from creating problems when I make my way south to enjoy some trails. Do you have some specific info on how a dog's presence has a greater impact than a convoy of off-road vehicles?

The scent of dogs can scare away the animals that live there.
For example - Big Horn Sheep will stay away from a water source if they detect the smell of dogs.
We have an area in Anza Borrego Desert State Park, Ca that is closed to all vehicle traffic during the summer months because the sheep won't come down to their main source of water.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
For example - Big Horn Sheep will stay away from a water source if they detect the smell of dogs.
We have an area in Anza Borrego Desert State Park, Ca that is closed to all vehicle traffic during the summer months because the sheep won't come down to their main source of water.

No to mention some of the dirt, your not even suppose to walk on. It's a living organism. I can't remember what it's called.

Anyways, I love my dogs. Moab is not the place for them. Even Eddie leaves Tessa at home. She's smarter than most adults on the trail.

Labricon

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the info. I will be sure to check the area websites before taking my dog along for the ride.

Petthefish

As someone who has a service animal my son has Autism and she works great at calming him when he is having issues. It pisses me off to no end to see some idiot in a store with and untrained unruly mutt and when asked to control there dog or why they have them there they say he is a therapy dog. At that point they can't be questioned. As for registering there is no national registry for support animals. There are a ton of companies that sell registration and ID cards and BS but there is no official government registration.

Erockhopper

We take our 2 Boston Terriers to Moab whenever we go, which is at a minimum 4 times a year. We have found several hotels that are pet friendly, we usually stay at the Gonzo Inn. We pay extra, but happily do it.

The State parks don't allow dogs. When we plan on hiking those we leave them behind. I can't think of any Jeep trails that I have not run because they wouldn't allow dogs.

Negro Bill canyon is a great hike to do with dogs, plenty of shade and water.

All the city parks and schools are marked to not allow pets. They turned the old school by the City Market into a dog park. Can't say it's the nicest one we have been to, but it at least gives you a place to go.

Desert Crawler

A service dog can be a multitude of things not just for disabled people.. They are also there for stress and anxiety... So registering your dog as a service dog for whatever reason is your choice.. But than again my dogs are Family not just a pet. So mine are also registered.

Actually you are wrong Sir.

As I mentioned earlier the definition of a therapy dog can be found on the ADA.gov website.

This is the section to be specific: U.S. Department of Justice
Civil Rights Division
Disability Rights Section

Since you obviously don't care enough to check for yourself here is what it says:
DEFINITION OF A SERVICE ANIMAL

Q1. What is a service animal?
A. Under the ADA, a service animal is defined as a dog that has been individually trained to do work or perform tasks for an individual with a DISABILITY.

Q3. Are emotional support, therapy, comfort, or companion animals considered service animals under the ADA?
A. No. These terms are used to describe animals that provide comfort just by being with a person.

A dog can be regarded as a service animal if it is specifically trained to detect that an anxiety attack is about to happen and take a specific action to help avoid the attack or lessen its impact, that would qualify as a service animal. However, if the dog's mere presence provides comfort, that would not be considered a service animal under the ADA.

Just because your registered your dog and gave your money to some fraudulent organization does not make your dog a service animal.

Trail JK

Wow, I never knew that. I'm glad you posted this. Definitely something to consider before hitting the trails. [emoji106]

No to mention some of the dirt, your not even suppose to walk on. It's a living organism. I can't remember what it's called.

Cryptobiotic Soil, this is the crusty brown or black baked dirt around Moab.

Speeddmn

Not going to re-read 4 pages of service animal stuff.

There is a dog park in town on the way to sand flats rec area, shaded and lots of room to let them play. Quite a few hotel/motels are pet friendly. We stayed at the Motel 6, and the pet rooms all had hard wood floors for any messy clean ups. Plenty and most of the café/diners have patio/balcony type seating for those that bring their dogs. We saw plenty of folks on the trails with their pets, and walking around town.

They are your dogs, so you know if they are good in public or not. Our dogs, 2 of which are still under a year old and get pee excited when they meet new people, so until that is cured we don't take them into public much.

Hope this helps you.

Brute

Hooked
From what I read, Moab is a very non-dog-friendly place in terms of its formal policies. They are prohibited from National Park trails and may only be walked on a leash along a road or in a parking lot. In some cases (eg White Rim Trail) you aren't allowed to even have them in the car with you.

We'd love to visit Moab and do the Jeep trails as well as some hiking/camping but what about Fido?

I just came back from Moab EJS...there were a lot of dogs in the rigs on the trails I were on...it didn't seem like a problem. However, when I went to Arches NP, I did see signs saying to keep them on a leash...still, I'd bring them along.

Brute

Hooked
I just came back from Moab EJS...there were a lot of dogs in the rigs on the trails I were on...it didn't seem like a problem. However, when I went to Arches NP, I did see signs saying to keep them on a leash...still, I'd bring them along.

FYI...I stayed at the Big Horn Lodge, which was pet friendly, and there were plenty of dogs there...no problem.

Top Bottom