Wj options

Pyro1415

Alright guys, usually I'll scour the forum for hours and do the work myself but this is for a friend lol.
04 wj 2wd
I know who buys a 2wd jeep?

Anyways he wants to run 33s what is a good option that can handle the highway well. Don't think he cares about flexing since well it's 2wd.

Can someone lay out some options on making a 3" lift work?

Finally he isn't made of money so good compromise between cheap and effective. He will be running aftermarket front and rear bumpers plus a winch. Mostly does trail camping.

WJCO

Meme King
Alright guys, usually I'll scour the forum for hours and do the work myself but this is for a friend lol.
04 wj 2wd

Anyways he wants to run 33s what is a good option that can handle the highway well. Don't think he cares about flexing since well it's 2wd.

Finally he isn't made of money so good compromise between cheap and effective. He will be running aftermarket front and rear bumpers plus a winch. Mostly does trail camping.

Check out Ty Mitchell's. He just did a 3 inch with 33s. Looks good but he has some rubbing even after trimming. He just ordered an IRO 3inch kit but hasn't installed it yet. I did a 4 inch Zone lift with JK 32s and still had to trim. The zone 4 kit isn't the greatest but it's the best bang for the buck. I'm pretty happy with my ride. On a 2wd though, I'm not sure what kits exist or not.

Pyro1415

Check out Ty Mitchell's. He just did a 3 inch with 33s. Looks good but he has some rubbing even after trimming. He just ordered an IRO 3inch kit but hasn't installed it yet. I did a 4 inch Zone lift with JK 32s and still had to trim. The zone 4 kit isn't the greatest but it's the best bang for the buck. I'm pretty happy with my ride. On a 2wd though, I'm not sure what kits exist or not.

The 4wd kits still work. How's the drive at 75?

WJCO

Meme King
The 4wd kits still work. How's the drive at 75?

75 is fine with the kit. I have some light bump steer here and there in town but my DL and TB are parallel so I've ignored it. The Zone track bar has some of the hardest bushings on the market too which is great to avoid DW. A lot of WJ owners get DW after lifting. Mine had it due to a seized/rusted track bar bolt that wasn't fully torquing. Truthfully if he is set on 33s, a 4 inch kit will be a better option. I'm planning on doing 33s soon.

Pyro1415

75 is fine with the kit. I have some light bump steer here and there in town but my DL and TB are parallel so I've ignored it. The Zone track bar has some of the hardest bushings on the market too which is great to avoid DW. A lot of WJ owners get DW after lifting. Mine had it due to a seized/rusted track bar bolt that wasn't fully torquing. Truthfully if he is set on 33s, a 4 inch kit will be a better option. I'm planning on doing 33s soon.

I was recommending a 3" lift with 1 or 2" body.

Is the rear driveshaft an issue with 4" suspension?

WJCO

Meme King
04 wj 2wd

Also with bumpers and 33s, his MPG will go to shit. He could re-gear but not sure what options there are. I assume he has a D35 in the rear which I don't know much about.

EDIT: He may have an aluminum 44 in the rear.

Last edited:

Pyro1415

No body lift. Unibody, no frame. Zone kit comes with a tcase drop to address rear drive line angle. Some argue that it makes the front worse, but in your friend's case, won't matter. 2wd.

Also with bumpers and 33s, his MPG will go to shit. He could re-gear but not sure what options there are. I assume he has a D35 in the rear which I don't know much about.

Yeah just need to see if the drop kit works with 2wd tcase or even if a 2wd has one. Might just be shaft out of transmission.
I told him to regear and lock it if he plans to keep it a while. Locking might get him more places than standard 4wd.

Haha after everyone said the new Cherokee isn't a real jeep for being unibody...

Thanks for all your help man. Love this forum.

WJCO

Meme King
Yeah just need to see if the drop kit works with 2wd tcase or even if a 2wd has one. Might just be shaft out of transmission.
I told him to regear and lock it if he plans to keep it a while. Locking might get him more places than standard 4wd.

Haha after everyone said the new Cherokee isn't a real jeep for being unibody...

Thanks for all your help man. Love this forum.

NP. Just realized on the tcase drop........yeah may not apply in your friend's case. Lol. Im still stuck on jeeps being 4wd, what was I thinking? I assume he'll have some kind of cross member.

Pyro1415

NP. Just realized on the tcase drop........yeah may not apply in your friend's case. Lol. Im still stuck on jeeps being 4wd, what was I thinking? I assume he'll have some kind of cross member.

Should. Yeah I almost bought a 2wd jku thinking all wranglers had to be 4wd. His first wj he bought thinking it was 4wd(had stickers) I get in, we go to an easy wheeling location, and I tell him okay 4 low for this hill. He replies with something along the lines of how do I do that, so I look down and there's no t case lever or an electric shift knob. It's like well damn lol.

WJCO

Meme King
Should. Yeah I almost bought a 2wd jku thinking all wranglers had to be 4wd. His first wj he bought thinking it was 4wd(had stickers) I get in, we go to an easy wheeling location, and I tell him okay 4 low for this hill. He replies with something along the lines of how do I do that, so I look down and there's no t case lever or an electric shift knob. It's like well damn lol.

Lol. Ouch.

geberhard

Douchebag
I was LOLing on the body lift stuff and reminded me of this :)

scissor%20jeep_zpsc88a2f08.jpg

On my old WJ I was able to stuff 32's with a 2" coil spacer and some light trimming in some spots. If this will be a mall cruiser, he can probably run them without any trimming on the body.

WJCO had great input on some ideas. I would not lift a WJ over 2" if the rig will not be used off-road and you will deal with driveline angles etc, specially since he is on a budget. 2" coil spacers for the win :)

Pyro1415

On my old WJ I was able to stuff 32's with a 2" coil spacer and some light trimming in some spots. If this will be a mall cruiser, he can probably run them without any trimming on the body.

WJCO had great input on some ideas. I would not lift a WJ over 2" if the rig will not be used off-road and you will deal with driveline angles etc, specially since he is on a budget. 2" coil spacers for the win :)

That's awesome lol.
So maybe some cheap Rubi takeoff tires and 2" spacers. I mean he will go "off-road" but nothing remotely serious.

WJCO

Meme King

But he wants to run 33s. I feel he'll probably have some trimming to do.

geberhard

Douchebag
That is pretty much what I run. About $100 in spacers, stock shocks in the rear, front I changed, and I had first Old MTR's (a lightly over 31") and no rubbing. later 32's had some minor rubbing at turn.

Top Bottom