Alpine X109-WRA

BigPrince

It will definitely be quite a while. They haven't even hit ebay or the major online stores yet.

The x009-wra has been in major stores for a year. I don't see this dropping in price much due to the unique use. The universal edition has dropped significantly but not the wrangler specific restyle kit. I'd expect the new version to be around 3k also.

Twise

Good friend of mine owns an Al and Eds. I think the price will come down and so does he. They have a ton invested in these restyle units. It has to be a success for them or they are screwed. I agree this is not a must have, but for me it's a want. As for theft or rain, buy insurance and keep a plastic bag under your seat. Doh.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Good friend of mine owns an Al and Eds. I think the price will come down and so does he. They have a ton invested in these restyle units. It has to be a success for them or they are screwed. I agree this is not a must have, but for me it's a want. As for theft or rain, buy insurance and keep a plastic bag under your seat. Doh.

The days of a $3000 headunit are LONG LONG LONG gone. Manufacturers are losing their shirts thanks to ipads and iphones that can control the space shuttle, let alone some lights. OEM navigation used to be thousands of dollars (it still is for some models, but that's going away)...now you can get navigation for $400-$800 in OEM vehicles, and even that will start dropping and become standard equipment. They will sell 4 units to starwood and the rest will rot on shelves until they get sold for the $1100-1500 that they are actually worth.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I would love to have this, but thats just way too much money. The switch function is definitely a good idea however. Still dumb jeep never had pre-wired switches for us to use.

Currently I am on the hunt for another ILX-007 like I got open box for my other car to put into the jeep. Then again that just runs off an iphone anyway so its almost just like a larger screen and at that point, why not just run an ipad instead.

kingtj

Yes and no ....

I just pulled the trigger on upgrading my Rubicon Unlimited to a new X109 (and purchased the module with it to control accessories, but haven't had that installed yet). I got the whole package, including the Sirius/XM satellite radio module and installation of everything but the accessory module for just under $3,400 (tax included).

Yes, this is a LOT of $'s for a head-unit, and by far the most I ever spent on one. But there's a lot to consider about this one. The fact that it includes a whole new center console panel, so it looks like an original factory installation, is a big benefit. To get an install that looks this "clean" with any other stereo, you'd be stuck paying a shop quite a bit of money in labor to fabricate something custom for you.

This whole trend of doing everything in your vehicle with your smartphone kind of stinks, IMO. It's really just a cheap hack at the end of the day. My phone gets used plenty enough as it is, without it having to serve double-duty as the core of my vehicle's sound system every time I drive someplace. I haven't seen any of these navigation stereos that actually CHARGE the phone or tablet while it's attached to their USB port either. (Why they don't is a good question ... but they just don't tend to design them to provide enough power on the port for that.) So on a long trip, I eventually have to disconnect my phone from my stereo anyway or else the battery runs down.

I like the idea of my stereo supporting the OPTION to stream Bluetooth audio from various applications and it certainly needs to allow hands-free calling. But I expect my car's head unit to be totally "self sufficient" otherwise.

And so far, the cheaper navigation systems I've seen for cars have some trade-offs. You usually get a smaller screen (or one that's not even anti-glare in a few cases). And GPS functionality varies, too. One thing I'll say about this X109-WRA is the GPS is really full featured. When I crossed a state line, it immediately popped up a box asking if I wanted any additional info for the new state I was in. If I tapped "Yes', I got a summary of the state's speed limit laws for different types of roads. When I took a detour off the highway while it was routing me home, instead of going crazy announcing "Off route! Recalculating!" -- it prompted, asking me to confirm if I was taking a detour for gasoline or food. If I picked one of those options, it offered the closest ones it knew about off that exit. And after going to one, it picked right back up with my original route.

Oh, and even the SiriusXM support beats what I had in my factory 730n radio. I get an additional 20 or so channels that only newer receivers can pick up. So more for my subscription dollar on that end too.

So is this whole thing worth the $3000+ price tag? Well, you and I both know it doesn't cost NEARLY as much to build this stuff as what they sell it for. But you're paying to help offset all the R&D money they invested in bringing the design to market too. If nobody is willing to pay for something custom and this nice, then we'll never get anything custom and this nice. I hope I can get back at least a little bit of what I spent by reselling my 730n on eBay, and reselling the separate EQ/sound processor I used to have in my Jeep to try to make the 730n's poor sound quality more bearable.

The days of a $3000 headunit are LONG LONG LONG gone. Manufacturers are losing their shirts thanks to ipads and iphones that can control the space shuttle, let alone some lights. OEM navigation used to be thousands of dollars (it still is for some models, but that's going away)...now you can get navigation for $400-$800 in OEM vehicles, and even that will start dropping and become standard equipment. They will sell 4 units to starwood and the rest will rot on shelves until they get sold for the $1100-1500 that they are actually worth.

WJCO

Meme King
I just pulled the trigger on upgrading my Rubicon Unlimited to a new X109 (and purchased the module with it to control accessories, but haven't had that installed yet). I got the whole package, including the Sirius/XM satellite radio module and installation of everything but the accessory module for just under $3,400 (tax included).

Yes, this is a LOT of $'s for a head-unit, and by far the most I ever spent on one. But there's a lot to consider about this one. The fact that it includes a whole new center console panel, so it looks like an original factory installation, is a big benefit. To get an install that looks this "clean" with any other stereo, you'd be stuck paying a shop quite a bit of money in labor to fabricate something custom for you.

This whole trend of doing everything in your vehicle with your smartphone kind of stinks, IMO. It's really just a cheap hack at the end of the day. My phone gets used plenty enough as it is, without it having to serve double-duty as the core of my vehicle's sound system every time I drive someplace. I haven't seen any of these navigation stereos that actually CHARGE the phone or tablet while it's attached to their USB port either. (Why they don't is a good question ... but they just don't tend to design them to provide enough power on the port for that.) So on a long trip, I eventually have to disconnect my phone from my stereo anyway or else the battery runs down.

I like the idea of my stereo supporting the OPTION to stream Bluetooth audio from various applications and it certainly needs to allow hands-free calling. But I expect my car's head unit to be totally "self sufficient" otherwise.

And so far, the cheaper navigation systems I've seen for cars have some trade-offs. You usually get a smaller screen (or one that's not even anti-glare in a few cases). And GPS functionality varies, too. One thing I'll say about this X109-WRA is the GPS is really full featured. When I crossed a state line, it immediately popped up a box asking if I wanted any additional info for the new state I was in. If I tapped "Yes', I got a summary of the state's speed limit laws for different types of roads. When I took a detour off the highway while it was routing me home, instead of going crazy announcing "Off route! Recalculating!" -- it prompted, asking me to confirm if I was taking a detour for gasoline or food. If I picked one of those options, it offered the closest ones it knew about off that exit. And after going to one, it picked right back up with my original route.

Oh, and even the SiriusXM support beats what I had in my factory 730n radio. I get an additional 20 or so channels that only newer receivers can pick up. So more for my subscription dollar on that end too.

So is this whole thing worth the $3000+ price tag? Well, you and I both know it doesn't cost NEARLY as much to build this stuff as what they sell it for. But you're paying to help offset all the R&D money they invested in bringing the design to market too. If nobody is willing to pay for something custom and this nice, then we'll never get anything custom and this nice. I hope I can get back at least a little bit of what I spent by reselling my 730n on eBay, and reselling the separate EQ/sound processor I used to have in my Jeep to try to make the 730n's poor sound quality more bearable.

Welcome to WAL.

Brute

Hooked
I was considering this unit for the JK6...but opted for the previous unit for one main reason...I didn't want to scroll through different page menus while on the trail...

I've just had the Alpine X100-WRA with front & rear multi-view camera system, Alpine KCX-C250MC Multi-Camera Controller & Alpine KAC-001 External Accessory Control Module installed...along with a 400 watt amp, and replaced all the oem speakers & added a subwoofer (it's hard to hear the stereo with the freedom panels off & the soft uppers on the half door removed over the Hellcat)...

We have instead dedicated compressor, f & r lockers and light bar onto an Switch-Pros SP8100 switch panel...I like the ease & feel of rocker switches for these functions...

I'm heading to Seattle on Sunday...I'll post up some pics of the install

billybobjku

I've been taking a hard look at the 109. Right now I've got a Pioneer 8100 which has both Apple car play and Android Auto. In my case I use android auto so the pioneer uses google voice recognition for dialing and nav. That works great but that's where it ends. You are correct about the phone being limited. In my case using Google maps via android auto there are always issues especially in the city. The nav in the phone drops a lot, it gets confused sends me the wrong way, I've done the google off line map thing as well but it's still not great, they've been promising Waze forever for android auto but it never shows up. So it's very frustrating. What's holding me back from either the 009 or the 109 besides the cost, is it looks like the nav doesn't work by voice. Is that the case? I've also read the boot up time in the 009 is slow, I think that may be fixed in the 109, but without voice recognition for the nav you're probably looking at a brake bypass and I haven't seen much on that being available for the 109.

RSQCON

Sorry to revive a moderately old thread but thought I would add to it. I am ordering a Rubicon Jeep with the base radio with the intention of replacing it with one of the Alpine options. Alpine currently offers 3 restyle head units the I109, X009 and X109 and they are priced in that order. I initially thought about going with the I109 unit as I really like CarPlay but this unit has a few major downfalls. It does not have Bluetooth (which just seems crazy this day in age), no XM and lacks other source inputs. Now the second offering, the X009, I currently have in my Ram truck and I like it a lot. One thing that I really like about these units that most people don't know is you can access something like 70 settings in the vehicle via the Maestro module. So why is this important and how does it apply to me? My vehicle is a Ram truck and I use it to tow a 5th wheel. When towing I can change the radio display to choose 6 different gauges so I'll display oil pressure, trans temp, EGT, etc. The Bluetooth on it allows one phone to be connected to the phone side and another phone to be able to control the music side. Navigation on it is also pretty nice although I'd say a good majority of people just use their phones these days. Now for the X109 I am very interested in the module to be able to control accessories. Alpine says it's a completely new unit from the X009 so I'm sure it's better just not sure I want everything to be routed through my radio. Would love to hear from the other members that have taken the plunge.

bharkin

Where did you get it from??

Top Bottom