Evo bolt on coilover install

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Look pretty sweet! Man, I would totally install one of these kits. I remember reading one of Eddie's comments that you learn more about your Jeep if you work on it yourself. I was intimidated at first just installing my coils and shocks. Very happy with results and ready for the next stage. Thanks Eddie!

Got any more pics Atch?

NAUJK

Just read through this whole thread.. and now all I want is some Evo Bolt ons and a garage to install them in :grayno: but alas I wont be able to afford them for quite some time! So I guess ill live vicariously through all of you! :crazyeyes:

Nevesjk06

Can't wait to order up this kit. Sounds like I have plenty of experience down here in SoCal when the time comes. Ill have to give them a call about total price. Thanks for info guys! Install seems pretty straightforward.

Atch

Atch...those Kings look awesome! I'm sure the ride is even better:thumb:

Thx man, I really liked the ride of my old kit but these coilovers take the bigger bumps on road a lot better. I haven't had a chance to flex it out offroad yet!

JArnold

What do you mean, do you have pictures?

Not at the moment. I just finished up the install last weekend and I expected them to be a little noisy but not this bad.

The springs seem to be not seating correctly causing them to slant but I don't see a reason as to why? Is there a cut out in the slider (blue collar)?

Also another question, I noticed that in this pic there are washers installed on the outside of the spacers . Is this correct? ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1396585025.942603.jpg

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
Make sure you adjust the two silver timing rings are about a half inch above the slider. That should quiet them down.

Last edited:

JArnold

Make sure you adjust the two silver rings about a half inch from the upper spring. That should quiet them down.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1396601429.717009.jpg

Here's how they are currently. You can't see the bending from this angle but you can see the silver collars. I haven't adjusted them yet. So bring them down to just .5" above the bottom of the spring? That doesn't seem like it would allow your top spring to do much?

dchew

Caught the Bug
...That doesn't seem like it would allow your top spring to do much?
Yeah but look at your bump stops. This system is designed to have miles of droop but not much up travel. There are only a few inches of up travel including squashing the bump stop, and it will settle even more after several months. So you want to transfer the load into the secondary spring within the first inch of up travel. When you drive over multiple bumps, the Jeep will "float" a bit higher since it won't settle back down after the first bump before you hit the second bump. So in actual off-road use you will get more use out of the top spring than it appears.

Dave

JArnold

Yeah but look at your bump stops. This system is designed to have miles of droop but not much up travel. There are only a few inches of up travel including squashing the bump stop, and it will settle even more after several months. So you want to transfer the load into the secondary spring within the first inch of up travel. When you drive over multiple bumps, the Jeep will "float" a bit higher since it won't settle back down after the first bump before you hit the second bump. So in actual off-road use you will get more use out of the top spring than it appears.

Dave

Gotcha. I understand , but have never seen anyone else running it this way. I'll def give it a shot.

Any idea as to why my springs would be seating crooked? I believe that's causing most of the noise. I'm going to get it off the ground and try to make some adjustments tmrw but thus far I can't see a reason as to why the coil would be bending the way that it is.

dchew

Caught the Bug
There are two theories. One is the King plastic spacer is not up to the job. I use the aftermarket AGM sliders and don't have a problem with noise and the springs sit straight. But those are expensive and many (most?) say not necessary. I never ran with the King slider so I can't say.

The second is they will break in and go back straight. What makes them cocked is the spring-aluminum interface at the top and bottom, and the two slider-spring interfaces in the middle. If just one of those spring end faces is not completely flat (or if the plastic spacer isn't molded just right) it will send the spring off on an angle. That interface really "should" wear flat with use.

The AGM slider is longer, so it forces the springs to stay straight.

Dave

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
I see you have them mounted in the normal shock mounts on axle. The kit comes with plates to push out the lower mount. They would be sitting less crooked then. Any reason you aren't running them?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using WAYALIFE mobile app

JArnold

I see you have them mounted in the normal shock mounts on axle. The kit comes with plates to push out the lower mount. They would be sitting less crooked then. Any reason you aren't running them?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using WAYALIFE mobile app

Nope, I'm using the mounts. That were supplied with the kit that kick them out more.

Top Bottom