Evo bolt on coilover install

dchew

Caught the Bug
Dave, do you happen to also have a pdf for the front in color as well?

Here you go Chris:

http://www.davechewphotography.com/temp_images/EVO-1106_front_bolt_on_coilover.pdf

EVO doesn't post the instructions on their website, and I get the impression that is because much of their design is wrapped up in the install. They may view the install instructions as some of their IP although it doesn't say that. Also they promote installation by a trained professional. Probably so they don't get a lot of "bitching and moaning" as stated on page 1. :yup:

I will check with Andrew to see if he is ok with these being up. If not I will take them down. Anyone can PM me if they need it, but I will limit it to people who have already purchased a kit from EVO and are either waiting on the kit or need cleaner photos (the print version doesn't show the photos very well).

Dave

dchew

Caught the Bug
You are probably a lot higher in the rear because you did not use the Rock Stars which may have put you up higher in the rear.

Yup that's the trade off with the high clearance kit. It's not a lot; probably an inch difference.

Dave

Napalm90

Question I see the rear comes with track bar bracket. I already have the RK bracked welded on, would the bolt on kit still work with that and the stretch?

Sent via carrier pigeon

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Question I see the rear comes with track bar bracket. I already have the RK bracked welded on, would the bolt on kit still work with that and the stretch?

Sent via carrier pigeon

You might have some rubbing of the rear sway bar, possible contact at the trackbar and coilovers. I know of at least one guy running this set up but I don't recall what he had to change if anything .

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Yup that's the trade off with the high clearance kit. It's not a lot; probably an inch difference.

Dave

It has nothing to do with the high clearance or being a trade off. It's either the coilovers are adjusted high, your light in the back. A simple swap of the coils would do the trick.

Evo didn't build a name by building high jeeps.

dchew

Caught the Bug
It has nothing to do with the high clearance or being a trade off. It's either the coilovers are adjusted high, your light in the back. A simple swap of the coils would do the trick.

Evo didn't build a name by building high jeeps.

Before this goes in the weeds, I never said I had a high Jeep. I did say the rear was higher than I liked given how I set mine up at the time. I guess I should have realized people would key into my comments about the rear height; I should have updated it before uploading the link. Parked next to a stock Rubicon there is only a 4" difference in roof height, and that includes going from 32" to 37" tires. So my Jeep is actually really low. :yup:

Of course my Jeep now weighs 5600 pounds with my 220lb fat ass in it compared to a svelte stock Rubicon, so that is part of the minimal difference in height. I wrote those notes soon after the build, and have tweaked the setup since then. I cut a small amount out of the rear bump stop extensions (one needs to be careful about doing this to avoid bottoming out the shocks - measure five times, cut once). The one thing I still need to do is take some air out of the bump stops. As I've written in other posts, EVO points out those King bump stops come with 150 psi. It should be reduced to 80-100 for a lighter vehicle like a Jeep.

But in regards to your comment about it having nothing to do with the high clearance brackets, actually it does have something to do with that. Just get out a pencil and paper and draw it out. The top of the shock is fixed in the same place on the Jeep. The shocks are the same size (nothing to do with the coils, I'm talking about the shock length). With the HC mount in the rear, the bottom of the shock is a little higher. I don't know what the difference really is between the HC and rock stars, but let's just say for this exercise it is 1".

So now you have a choice. Same shock length, same top mounting point, 1" higher bottom mount on the axle housing with the HC kit. You can 1) Set the Jeep at the same ride height. That will give you 1" less up travel, and 1" more droop. Or you can 2) Crank in 1" more lift to give you the same up travel and droop as the Rock Stars. With the King bump stops in the rear, and with too much pressure in them like I still have, option #1 is a bit rough which is why I originally had the rear higher in my notes linked above. Swapping the coils won't change the geometry at all; with the std coils I can already set the rear so it is riding on the bump stops if I want.

Dave

dchew

Caught the Bug
Can someone tell me if the rear bolt on kit is supposed to come with bump stops?

No. you can use the stock bump stops. There are bump stop extensions that get bolted onto the rear axle housing.

Dave

Edit: Sorry didn't see all the other posts. What piginajeep is referring to as bump stops I'm calling bump stop extensions. so yes, they should have been included. The look like a short section of square tube with two holes on one side, and they mount angled forward.

Last edited:

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
You must use the bump stops that are included in the kit. If you don't use them you will bottom out the coil over shock.

Oscar35

Don't know if you can see it, but it's there. Lol So yes, the kit should come with the bumps.

Attachments

• 1397579046791.jpg
    1397579046791.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 677

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Don't know if you can see it, but it's there. Lol So yes, the kit should come with the bumps.

Correct bumps included with the kit. Uses the factory foam in place. When fully stuffed the axle stops just before the shock bottoms out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom