Close

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: FrankenWillys

Quote Originally Posted by notnalc68 View Post
    Looking great
    Thank you!

Sweet bump stop extensions. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1469034124.824469.jpg

Finally got a chance to get the '51 out. I've maybe drove it 3 miles after I bought it so it was going to be a new experience driving it 20 miles to the trails. The jeep drives great on the road. Tons of power and acceleration from the 4.3L and 4 barrel carb. No problems cruising at 60 or racing up hills. I got stuck in traffic and that got pretty rough. The clutch is extremely stiff and the engine started to get hot. It didn't help the idle was way too high. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1470582187.023928.jpg
    The speedo is a little off. I was doing over 50 at this point.
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1470582228.192200.jpg

We finally got to the trails and I met up with a few friends. So driving it on the trails was a completely different experience. The jeep bounced everywhere and it just want to go fast. I couldn't really get it to go slow enough. I tried to get the carb dialed in but it died several times. It's been sitting for a few years so it probably needs gone through. Also I suspension had zero flex. The drive was more challenging but also fun. The aftermarket seats sit so high that you have to lean down to look out the windshield. I may have hit my head multiple times on the roll bar. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1470582639.858313.jpgImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1470582654.214334.jpgImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1470582676.593529.jpg
    Here's a shot of the group. I think I won the award for the least amount of flex and the most flex. My wife brought the JK. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1470582778.553754.jpgImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1470582806.358864.jpg

So at the end of the day, I had an idea of how I want to move forward on this build. I need to fix the seats. I may have to move the gas tank since the seat is stilling on top of the tank and I won't be able to drop it any lower. I'm thinking of swapping in an automatic to make it more manageable. Rebuild the carb or covert to EFI. I'm not sure what I want to do with the suspension yet. I want to get rid of the chrome wheels and get some originals or just a simple steel wheel. More fun times ahead.

One of my favorite vehicles! That will be a fun build for sure.

Awesome
    Looking forward to more progress
    Willys / 1949 CJ3A
    Autumn Yellow
    2.2 Ecotec to th350
    HEMI / 2011 JKUR
    Sahara Tan
    UNNAMED / 2012 JKR
    Ruby Red

Quote Originally Posted by 2Cross View Post
    Awesome
    Looking forward to more progress
    So am I! I've been so busy the lately that I haven't had anytime to look at it.

I've been underway for the last two months so I haven't been able to make any progress on this until now. I cleaned up the inside of the tub and hit it with some Rustoleum Bed Liner. Nothing fancy but it works. It has a sandpaper finish. IMG_3398.jpgIMG_3401.jpg
    The next problem to be addressed was the seats. They sat too high and I found myself looking at the windshield frame. I tried to redesign the mounts but realized I couldn't go any lower unless I relocated the fuel tank. I finally gave in and bought some new bucket seats which work perfect. They sit much lower and I moved them back for more leg room. Now I'm chasing an electrical gremlin. I'll save that for tomorrow. IMG_3700.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app