Close

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: FrankenWillys

Looks good. Looks like a fun project.

I hate electrical gremlins. Hard to find. Good luck.

I like the seats. I still have the stock ones in my Willys for that reason you mentioned about being too high. I have seen people relocate the fuel tank but you have two poor options. Lose clearance under your seat or lose cargo space.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Willys / 1949 CJ3A
    Autumn Yellow
    2.2 Ecotec to th350
    HEMI / 2011 JKUR
    Sahara Tan
    UNNAMED / 2012 JKR
    Ruby Red

Quote Originally Posted by 2Cross View Post
    I hate electrical gremlins. Hard to find. Good luck.

I like the seats. I still have the stock ones in my Willys for that reason you mentioned about being too high. I have seen people relocate the fuel tank but you have two poor options. Lose clearance under your seat or lose cargo space.

I fought with the Bestop seats that were in there for a long time but couldn't come up with a good solution. I was moving towards putting originals back in but I couldn't find any used and new ones were so expensive. These ones only put me back $150. For the electrical, I think it's in the ignition switch which is a GM column. I ran it today and It died while I was adjusting the idle. After that it wouldn't start and it sounded like it didn't have any spark. I'll figure it out.

That sounds like an ignition problem for sure.

Willys / 1949 CJ3A
    Autumn Yellow
    2.2 Ecotec to th350
    HEMI / 2011 JKUR
    Sahara Tan
    UNNAMED / 2012 JKR
    Ruby Red

The ignition switch is very loose and if you barely touch the key, the engine cuts off.

Got the '55 wagon running today. Once it started, it idled perfectly. My brother and I started making a list of things to do to make it ready for the big trip this spring. It needs the brakes gone through, tires and we need to address the steering. It likes to wander on the road which may be due to the Scout axle up front. Apparently they have zero degrees of caster angle which can make a vehicle wander. I need to get it to my garage to dig deeper. IMG_3745.jpgIMG_3748.jpg

Update on the CJ-3A. It wouldn't start and had no spark. Started looking around and found the alternator wire to the battery fried. It runs through a ammeter first. Also found some other questionable wires.IMG_3705.jpg I pulled the alternator to have it tested and it passed with flying colors. After that the jeep still refused to start and kept blowing a fuse. The ignition switch in the GM column was sketchy at best so I bought a new one. That fixed my short but still no spark. I had power to my coil but nothing from the distributor. From there I inspected the cap/rotor and verified continuity through all my wires. I replaced the coil and still no luck. The Willys has an aftermarket Mallory ignition with coil, control box and distributor. They are no longer in business so parts are harder to come by.

This is where I decided to upgrade to HEI. Everything is integrated into the distributor and it's a one wire hook up. IMG_3843.jpg It's has a much bigger cap and trimming the firewall was required to drop it in the block. The cap is so big that it won't work with my Holley double pumper carburetor. This meant I had to go with a Edelbrock setup to get the clearance required. Found a 600 CFM on CL for $50. IMG_3845.jpgIMG_3849.jpg A 4 BBL carb it too big I feel and a two barrel would be better. But it ran pretty well on the 540CFM Holley so it will be alright for now. I'll have to wait until next week to hook everything up.

Wow. Lots of work. Custom swaps always have surprises. Looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    Wow. Lots of work. Custom swaps always have surprises. Looks good.
    Thanks. What makes it difficult is that I wasn't the one that did it. That means I have to figure out what the previous owner did or figure out what they were thinking. But problem solving is still fun.

HEI conversion is complete. Willys runs again. Just need to get a real choke cable and replace the one I currently have (zip tie). I'll probably rebuild the carb. IMG_3925.jpg