Portable welder?

Pyro1415

To power a good welder like the one the op wants you need a great generator possibly a welding specific generator. They pull some steady amps and will kill normal generators even some medium size housing ones can't handle them. I know because we blew 7 generators in a year at work before my boss spent the big bucks. That being said I'd carry some rods and cables for on the trail. Maybe a small generator and a crack box from homedepot or harbor freight.

Oh and if you'd like to learn I'd recommend finding a trait school near you paying the 500 to 1500 to learn how to properly weld.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Is it possible to rig up something to run off the alternator and put in a very high amp alternator?

Yes. What you would be wanting is a Premier Power Welder with an alternator kit. I haven't seen one done on a JK but I'd be willing to bet they have something for it.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I would just buy a Lincoln 140 for home and learn on that. You won't be welding trusses to cast housing but you can do a lot of other stuff. When you learn and feel you need something for the trail then buy one but I wouldn't want to use a portable welder daily in my garage.

JeepJeep75

http://www.premierpowerwelder.com/
I've been looking at these wondering how if at all it would work in the JK. Since these JKs have such finicky electrical systems I'm not sure how well this setup would work. If a CB can make the all the dash lights go nuts, what would this welder do to the jeep?

Jk909

Miller dominates the market when it comes to welders. Every truck in my fleet runs them. Lincolns technology is years behind Miller. You may not notice if you are just trying to melt shit but when you start messing with sensitive little parts you sure will

WJCO

Meme King
Just found this thread. Here's what I just did this year. Ready Welder with dual batteries. I've used it to build the battery tray, weld on a set of sliders, and fix a latch on a construction trailer. It welds .500 steel. Lovin it so far, 100% portable. RW says you can weld for about 45 minutes before needing to recharge.

IMG_20160929_233816_522.jpg

0928161606.jpg

Kaylinator

During EJS this year, we ran into this. View attachment 199929

They didn't have even a complete set of tools, let alone know how they would make it off the trail. I pulled out some steel that I carry, some tools and at least carry some rod and a pair of jumper cables. We got busy and another guy brought up a wire feed welder in a box. He had made it from a HF welder. It ran off dual batteries and worked AWESOME!!! View attachment 199930

They were at least able to put it back together and get off the trail. Going to get one of those for the trail.
Woah! Jumper cables and rod! That works? Never heard of that. Great idea.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Just found this thread. Here's what I just did this year. Ready Welder with dual batteries. I've used it to build the battery tray, weld on a set of sliders, and fix a latch on a construction trailer. It welds .500 steel. Lovin it so far, 100% portable. RW says you can weld for about 45 minutes before needing to recharge.

View attachment 230289

View attachment 230290

Kinda reviving an old thread, but wondering how this set up has been working out for you. Also, did you look at the Broco Goweld system? Looks pretty nice too.

aTX427

Wow dude. Those are better looking welds than I get on 208v/50a service at home. I would be terrified to strike that arc for the first time. Stones man. Glad you are it out safe.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Kinda reviving an old thread, but wondering how this set up has been working out for you. Also, did you look at the Broco Goweld system? Looks pretty nice too.

Loving it. I haven't used it on the trail as of now, but I've used it a handful of times in areas where I don't have to use the home welder or deal with extension cords. It really welds hot though. .125 steel requires moving very fast. I tried using only one battery (which manufacturer doesn't recommend), and it pops/snaps. I just watched videos on that goweld system. I hadn't seen it before but it looks similar.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Have you tried it on 3/16? I read some literature about it, and noted the lack of voltage control. Otherwise looks like a nice system for the trail.

The Goweld may or may not have voltage control; the stuff i have read is ambiguous about that. Maybe I'll have to call them directly and ask.

Thanks.

WJCO

Meme King
I've used it on .250 and .5 steel. It works great on stuff like that. It does have a spring inside the gun that you can move to change the heat. I've never messed with it. I really just bought this for emergencies on the trail. I figure any weld that penetrates will help get me or someone else home.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Same thought: something for Trail repairs. I have a Lincoln in the garage for home use.

Is yours the "cold start" (CS) model?

Top Bottom