Offroad EVO Tire carrier INSTALL????

BLCK4X4

Has anyone installed their own Offroad Evolution
Rear Tire carrier with Corner/Stock tail light delete...

Are there Any write ups or tips:)

going to attempt it this weekend, and I really don't wanna screw it up[emoji23][emoji109]🏼

Anything Will help guys.

Evil

The corners are easier then the rock skins. Get you a ratchet strap that will go around the corners and through the back doors. Line up 1 side at a time, mark and all that and readjust when you start on the other.

Calys003

Be ready to say swear words it's a lot of playing around. I used ratchet straps and ended up bending the rear door latches, than the doors would not shut. I beat them back with a mallet(fine now). Line up the tire carrier so the drivers side is 1/2"-3/4" high w/out the weight off the tire. Once you put the tire on it will sag. I like this set up put mine rattles & squeaks. I'm working on solutions to fix this...I'm thinking rubber bushings on the drivers side. Good luck.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Ratchet straps on the skins to get them tight before drilling. I used a jig and used two jacks to hold the carrier in place while installing. Pics somewhere on my build thread. :crazyeyes:

Jake Wilson

Yea the corners are easy. Like they said use ratchet straps. As for the tire carrier. Get two or three people to help and have beer on hand. That shit will make you curse! Like cal said, make sure it sits about half an inch above the bracket when sitting without the tire. To do this adjust the lower passenger arm outwards. This will preload the tire carrier. It's a pain in the ass so be prepared for it. Took me about 3 1/2 hours just to get the tire carrier to sit right. That's not including lining up the brackets, drilling the holes, installing the brackets.

Flat Top

The bottom brackets were the biggest PITA for me. The bottom bolt holes just happen to hit smake on the middle of the of the pinch seam for the corners. I had the hardest time bending the pinch seams to where I could get a nuts even started on the bolts.

Calys003

The bottom brackets were the biggest PITA for me. The bottom bolt holes just happen to hit smake on the middle of the of the pinch seam for the corners. I had the hardest time bending the pinch seams to where I could get a nuts even started on the bolts.

Same here but I ended up pulling the corners off and making the hole for the new tail light bigger as I bought longer grade 8 bolts so I could get the nut started.

Ddays

Hooked
Ratchet straps on the skins to get them tight before drilling. I used a jig and used two jacks to hold the carrier in place while installing. Pics somewhere on my build thread. :crazyeyes:

^^ This. Make sure you check out MTGs build thread to see how he made that jig out of 2x4's. I did the same thing and it made the job doable with only one person. That winch idea looks good too but the jig was super stable. Hinrich has a neat tip on how to mount the hinges as well. That's somewhere on my build thread. Wish I had seen that as well...

Regardless how you do it make sure you have some sort of alcohol on hand!

Edit: At the bottom of page 7 of my build thread Hinrich explains how he did his hinge mounts and it makes a lot of sense.

Last edited:

Jeep dad

nutcert tool best 70 dollars you can spend
http://www.amazon.com/Astro-1442-Th...8&qid=1461910478&sr=8-1&keywords=nutsert+tool
when you cut the tail light pratice on the metal you just cut out .center punch for when you start drilling body and couple of the drill bits for the tire carrier
tire carrier is a pain hoist helps or ratch straps in celling . level to make sure its level with bumper if thats the route you go. i installed level and you have to pick up some to line it up when closing no big deal one hand 5 pound of pressure. test fit before you paint .

BLCK4X4

nutcert tool best 70 dollars you can spend
http://www.amazon.com/Astro-1442-Th...8&qid=1461910478&sr=8-1&keywords=nutsert+tool
when you cut the tail light pratice on the metal you just cut out .center punch for when you start drilling body and couple of the drill bits for the tire carrier
tire carrier is a pain hoist helps or ratch straps in celling . level to make sure its level with bumper if thats the route you go. i installed level and you have to pick up some to line it up when closing no big deal one hand 5 pound of pressure. test fit before you paint .

Okay just placed the order :) anything else man?

Jeep dad

A step drill bit makes a cleaner cut on the sheetmetal hole will be round ever time home depo or lowes . that what I used . take your time some say its easy and for some it is . I have been working with tools all my life so was easy to me . but this is not for the faint at heart when you cut or drill its for good and the only going back is new sheet metal .

highoctane

Caught the Bug
As mentioned def go with the step bit. If you are not careful, a standard but can tear the thin metal that the jk body is made of, rendering that hole potentially useless.

BLCK4X4

A step drill bit makes a cleaner cut on the sheetmetal hole will be round ever time home depo or lowes . that what I used . take your time some say its easy and for some it is . I have been working with tools all my life so was easy to me . but this is not for the faint at heart when you cut or drill its for good and the only going back is new sheet metal .

As mentioned def go with the step bit. If you are not careful, a standard but can tear the thin metal that the jk body is made of, rendering that hole potentially useless.

I've herd that when you put the weight of the tire on, it sags it. Is this true? If so how can I prevent it?

Which side should I start with first?...exct..

Jeep dad

Not sure on the sag Im sure they is a way even seen it on fourm somewhere. the only place to start with the tire carrier is driver they is one hole in conner gaurds that it lines up with around fuel cap .I think if you done the passange side higher would take out some if not all the sag But then looking at brackets may be higher on one side just dont know enough to say for sure I have only done my sons hes happy im happy no big deal a little lift and its their . I leveled our with bumper and it has about 1 1/2 inch sag when open .You can give EVO tech line a call sure they could tell more about sag .

BLCK4X4

I can't find your build thread man??

Top Bottom