How to Wheel in the snow

Josh27

Definitely a good compact snow shovel is necessary. Being in Montana, I have encountered quite a few snowy situations and have learned A TON of new tips and tricks over the past few years.

As far as my driving technique goes: The majority of the time I am in 4 low otherwise the engine gets bogged down and I don't have enough wheel spin/power to actually get through some places. I know you mentioned you didn't like how much revving and wheel spin you had to use to get out, but sometimes it is necessary. BUT, I have found that when you are trying to break a trail through snow, momentum is key and if you lose momentum, mashing the gas harder only makes things worse. If you start slowing down just let off the gas before the snow brings you to a dead stop. If you are not moving and the wheels are spinning, more than likely you will dig a hole with your tires you won't be able to get out of very easily. When you do come to a stop, back up and pack the snow in your track and try to get another run at it building up your momentum and start breaking more trail and when it starts slowing down just let off and repeat over and over until you get through.

As far as getting stuck goes, snow sucks to get stuck in. With that being said, always try to go out with at least one other vehicle. I have been in some sticky situations by myself and it is no fun. I do not have lockers and there have been several times I wish I would have had them. But I don't recommend using them until you are pretty much stuck or use your best judgement as to when you will need to use them.

deezus

Definitely a good compact snow shovel is necessary. Being in Montana, I have encountered quite a few snowy situations and have learned A TON of new tips and tricks over the past few years.

As far as my driving technique goes: The majority of the time I am in 4 low otherwise the engine gets bogged down and I don't have enough wheel spin/power to actually get through some places. I know you mentioned you didn't like how much revving and wheel spin you had to use to get out, but sometimes it is necessary. BUT, I have found that when you are trying to break a trail through snow, momentum is key and if you lose momentum, mashing the gas harder only makes things worse. If you start slowing down just let off the gas before the snow brings you to a dead stop. If you are not moving and the wheels are spinning, more than likely you will dig a hole with your tires you won't be able to get out of very easily. When you do come to a stop, back up and pack the snow in your track and try to get another run at it building up your momentum and start breaking more trail and when it starts slowing down just let off and repeat over and over until you get through.

As far as getting stuck goes, snow sucks to get stuck in. With that being said, always try to go out with at least one other vehicle. I have been in some sticky situations by myself and it is no fun. I do not have lockers and there have been several times I wish I would have had them. But I don't recommend using them until you are pretty much stuck or use your best judgement as to when you will need to use them.

Thanks man that was really informative. Does that work on slushy snow to?

Josh27

Thanks man that was really informative. Does that work on slushy snow to?

Yeah, its still the same principal with wet/soft/slushy snow. How much effort is needed to use that technique depends on how much snow, whats under it and how much traction you do have. Obviously if its early season and one of the first snow falls, you can probably still be able to get traction on the dirt underneath but if there is snowpack and ice under the snow, it will be that much tougher to get through it and that is where momentum is needed. Wheeling in the snow has a bit of a finesse to it rather than a shit ton of throttle.

Also, recovery in snow can be a bit tricky too. Use the shovel to try to dig paths for the wheels and try to clear out the snow catching your underside. I do not have a winch, but again, like lockers there have been times I really could have used one. All I have at the moment is a shovel and a couple straps and shackles. When using straps to recover a stuck vehicle, you do have to be careful so you don't get stuck with the strap super tight in between both vehicles then you are screwed. A kinetic rope would be MUCH safer to use than a strap in snow. This being that again, you need your own momentum (if you are not on dry ground) and basically yank the stuck vehicle out (if it is stuck worse than a simple slow tug could help) that way you don't spin your tires while you aren't moving to avoid digging yourself a hole. I often start with a little tug to see if that works and then slowly tug a bit more each try, which is the safest way to go about it. And when I give it a yank, I only use the gas to get the momentum and when the strap goes tight I am off of the gas and when the stuck vehicle starts to move I give it a little gas to try and pull it out. But if your not moving, don't give it more gas.

Brute

Hooked
The ending is the best. :cheesy:

Possibly the best short story I've read in awhile...and it's like writing a song on guitar...the ending is the most important part.

I have zero experience driving in snow in the last 40 years (but I soon will be since keeping a place in Seattle recently)...but a lot driving in all types of sand....and if it's anything similar, airing down is key...as low as possible, with beadlocks, 6-8 psi, without, at least 10...it's all about flotation. Carrying a shovel is important. Momentum is also key...and try doing the wiggle routine on the steering wheel to keep traction...and swampdog is right...in the winter, I keep a sleeping bag in the rig at all times, snow or no snow.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
The moisture content of the snow is also very important to consider. The commercials showing Jeep vehicles driving through bumper deep+ snow are a little misleading about all snow. You can push nearly headlight deep dry, powdery snow, but if it's wet and perfect for snowballs, as soon as the axles are pushing it and it's starting to pack up underneath, it's time to rethink.

deezus

The moisture content of the snow is also very important to consider. The commercials showing Jeep vehicles driving through bumper deep+ snow are a little misleading about all snow. You can push nearly headlight deep dry, powdery snow, but if it's wet and perfect for snowballs, as soon as the axles are pushing it and it's starting to pack up underneath, it's time to rethink.

Thanks and after reading all the comments I've decided snow wheeling isn't for me, I think I would much rather take my chances on rocks plus it's a lot more exciting.

Byte

Some good advice given so far. Remember that tool use sets we humans apart from the cold snow bound animals!

Have a winch in good working order, of course, along with its attendant recovery gear. Always have a standard 30" d-handle spade & d-handle powder shovel (not the small back country skiing shovel either, I mean a full size). A set or two of Max Trax are nice to have but expensive. At least one 4 ton come-along. If you find you like wheeling in the snow, a full set of properly fitted chains is a must. Good for mud too. Be sure to chain up before getting stuck...so much easier this way. Good chains can get rather expensive if you like to change tire sizes/brands often. It goes without saying that the cable types are a no go but I'll say it anyway... :thankyou:

And then there's all the personal clothing and safety equipment. I hear freezing to death doesn't hurt a bit. I don't mean to find out. Hypothermia is no joke and very easy to succumb to when a person overexerts themselves and sweats heavily. So stay hydrated. All common sense stuff to my mind but bears repeating for you southerns that don't know snow from shinola! :bleh:

Oh and have fun!

Desert Crawler

I carry a snow shovel, plenty of blankets/sleeping bag, water, flashlight, and some snacks all winter long. Some good advice has already been suggested. Max trax or something similar can really come in handy when dealing with snow. I haven't bit the bullet and spent that kind of money for plastic boards. As an alternative I have used boards, strips of carpet work great, and even floor mats can be used to gain some traction when in a bind.

Top Bottom