I need shocks

5000's and 9000's are both old school hydro shocks. The only difference in the 9000 is that you can adjust the valving on it to change the characteristic of the dampening. 7000's are a modern style monotube shocks which, among other things means it has a high pressure nitrogen gas charge separated by a free floating piston. This will help provide faster road response help prevent cavitation/shock fade. The single wall design will also help to dissipate heat. Overall, the 7000's may feel a bit firmer than a 9000 that can be set on a soft setting but for how I like to drive, the 7000's work great overall and without having to change any settings.
Perfect response. Thanks Eddie. I gotta say, the adjustabilty is nice but theyre hard to adjust , and really, once i got them set, i never change them anyway. Next time, i may look into the 7ks, or maybe even Kings.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Perfect response. Thanks Eddie. I gotta say, the adjustabilty is nice but theyre hard to adjust , and really, once i got them set, i never change them anyway. Next time, i may look into the 7ks, or maybe even Kings.

That's funny. Back when I was still running 9000's, I adjusted mine all the time - one way for pavement driving and another for off-roading. It was a real pain but it worked well and I had seriously considered installing an in-cab controller. I personally like the 7000's better because they do what I want for most of what I do and without having to adjust them all the time.

That's funny. Back when I was still running 9000's, I adjusted mine all the time - one way for pavement driving and another for off-roading. It was a real pain but it worked well and I had seriously considered installing an in-cab controller. I personally like the 7000's better because they do what I want for most of what I do and without having to adjust them all the time.
Maybe its just me but everytime i mess with them, it feels like the knobs going to break off, so i just leave them alone....which kind of defeats the purpose...lol

benatc1

Hooked
I've had the Rancho 9000XLs for about a month now, I do like the adjust-ability, makes for a nice ride on the road but still giving me what i need off road. I did break off both rear knobs the first day in the rocks but the shock still functioned normal until i could replace them. got a few spares now just in case.

swampdog

I adjust mine the same way, drop them to 1 while I am airing down at the trail head and back up (4F 6R) when airing back up. To me, it's not a big deal since I am out airing down / up and disconnecting the front swaybar anyways.

Dalton gang

Thanks for all the advise guys, ill be going with the 7000 rancho or 5100 bilstien, whats your opinion on used shocks? My budget sucks :)

Dalton gang

Tombull's got some 5100s with about 25000 on them for about half price, but i think new are lifetime warranty. Im liking the half price though haha

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Tombull's got some 5100s with about 25000 on them for about half price, but i think new are lifetime warranty. Im liking the half price though haha

Buying stuff used is always a gamble so you need to weigh up the odds of them having an issue and the money you'd be out if they do.

I'd consider it if they were cheap enough. Have to be under 1/2 price and look brand new for me to risk it.

Top Bottom