Sway bar links?

Kalums

So I was just wondering, for grins and giggles, for street manners will longer or shorter sway bar links make the turning "sway" tighten/ get stiffer? I'm not looking to do this but I was way too curious.

JK_Bbargers

I'd say shorter links will make it stiffer because it stresses the system a bit more like it's already being flexed.

Hammmerhead

I don't know from an experience point of view, but Im sure someone here does. This is a good question. Since both arms will likely move the same length up and down given both arms are attached to the sway bar, will it make any difference at all with the length? My first guess would be no difference unless the arms are so short its limiting the travel in the suspension.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
The length of the links only affects travel, nothing else unless they are different lengths side to side. You can make minor adjustments to how level your jeep sits side to side by doing this.

In short Swaybars are just a form of torsional spring and the rate is determined by the diameter of the bar and the length of the lever arm where the links apply the torque to the bar. This is why you see some road racing Swaybars have multiple holes drilled in each end to allow adjustment of the spring rate by moving the link attachment point.

geberhard

Douchebag
lol!!! Multiple holes for the win!!!

As far as the question, the length will make a difference for optimal performance. You will want your sway bar parallel to the ground and links at a 90 degree angle for more efficiency when the car is at rest\leveled. Also the longer the bar is, the "softer" it will be from a torsion and deflection perspective. But realistically we are not talking about corner carving speeds on a Jeep, so focusing on a parallel bar to the ground will do the trick keeping the on road riding firm, and without impacting adversely or stressing the heck out of the sway bar components (bushings, link ends, etc).

I am not a big fan of anti-rock type sway bars (had on a few rigs and my last TJ, and recently I have been running my JK without a sway bar; It takes getting used to, but will probably put disconnects on as my wife hates teh feel when she drives the Jeep :)

Top Bottom