i know they're not Jeeps, but still a good watch.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Seen this and while it's cool, they are being a bit disingenuous with the notion of not hitting ANY pavement. I recognize many of the trails they drove on and I can assure you, in order to get to them, you NEED to drive on pavement.

Brute

Hooked
Seen this and while it's cool, they are being a bit disingenuous with the notion of not hitting ANY pavement. I recognize many of the trails they drove on and I can assure you, in order to get to them, you NEED to drive on pavement.

I agree...that cave house in Moab is on a paved highway...however, if it was possible to drive that far on dirt only, I'd like to do it. I'm not even sure if you could drive on dirt only and go across even 1 state...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I agree...that cave house in Moab is on a paved highway...however, if it was possible to drive that far on dirt only, I'd like to do it. I'm not even sure if you could drive on dirt only and go across even 1 state...

I have been able to cross as much as 3 states without touching pavement but it wasn't like I crossed the entire length of each state. Believe me, I have tried really hard to make my way from Missouri to California all on dirt and it is impossible to do.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
I have been able to cross as much as 3 states without touching pavement but it wasn't like I crossed the entire length of each state. Believe me, I have tried really hard to make my way from Missouri to California all on dirt and it is impossible to do.

Maybe tow a small ramp and jump over the paved roads? You've got a 6.2LS and double throwdown suspension. Besides, true overlanding = towing a trailer. :D

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe tow a small ramp and jump over the paved roads? You've got a 6.2LS and double throwdown suspension. Besides, true overlanding = towing a trailer. :D

:cheesy: That might work fine for the smaller county roads but the fact of the matter is, this nation is crisscrossed with Interstate and State Highways and there's simply no effect way around them. Of course, we also have a ton of waterways, some are major rivers and you'd need to cross significant bridges to get to the other side. And, this is to say nothing about all the private land blocking your path. This isn't too bad in a state like Nevada but east of the Rockies and in most states in general, you'll be hard pressed to gain access to their farm roads without some yahoo coming after you. Trust me, we've made an accidental wrong turn onto one and found that out for ourselves.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
:cheesy: That might work fine for the smaller county roads but the fact of the matter is, this nation is crisscrossed with Interstate and State Highways and there's simply no effect way around them. Of course, we also have a ton of waterways, some are major rivers and you'd need to cross significant bridges to get to the other side. And, this is to say nothing about all the private land blocking your path. This isn't too bad in a state like Nevada but east of the Rockies and in most states in general, you'll be hard pressed to gain access to their farm roads without some yahoo coming after you. Trust me, we've made an accidental wrong turn onto one and found that out for ourselves.

Yeah I have to agree with you there. Personally I don't really care if I have to, God forbid, touch pavement while out exploring the back country. An adventure is an adventure. You just won't have a cool bragging right. Up here in northern AZ there is plenty of open land to go out and explore, and drive what has to be 50 miles or more on all dirt, but eventually I'll have to take a paved road or interstate to continue on. Northern NV would just be awesome. You guys up there are so lucky.

trailraider

we have one road here that follows the foothills north.

I haven't done it all yet ,but it is all forestry road. I have heard there is about 12 hours of the forestry road that I haven't done yet. one day soon. one day.

Top Bottom