VIDEO : First Jeeps on Lion's Back Since 2004

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As many of you know, Lion's Back in Moab, Utah has been closed since 2004. For the 50th Easter Jeep Safari, the first and only 2-door JK Wrangler, 4-door JK Wrangler Unlimited and a WK Grand Cherokee made history by getting a rare chance to take it on. Check it out...

BamBamDeer

That gets my blood pumping. We are planning our Family Vacation to Moab this year. Everyone is excited.

RolandJKU

I thought it closed due land development back then. They were going to build some hotel or apartments near by and didn't want it accessible anymore.

Nick Zambo

A few years ago when I was there mountain biking we drove by and stop. It was fenced off and had signs stating private property keep out. There was a full size unit wedged between the lions back and the lesser exposed side. I wanted to go in and see it but didn't want to get into trouble and giving I am from Canada I didn't want to get into trouble.

RolandJKU

To those who have done both, how did it compare to the entrance of Hell's revenge? I did that and it was intense too, I imagine not as intense as lion's

C_short15

A guy from California sold it to a guy from Utah. The guy from Utah wanted to develop condos in front of it. Still nothing has been developed it. This also closed an optional obstacle on hells called "dump bump". But can you imagine living In a condo at the base of lions back? Maybe the developer will allow the condo owners to do the trail? Lol keep your hopes up. [emoji23][emoji106]

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
That was a cool video! I heard the story as to why they closed it but man I'd still love to take on the obstacle!

Sudz

on a more somber note:

19 years ago today (May 2, 1997) two young adults died, Jason Lindsey and his friend Wayne Cummings. Reportedly they drove off the edge while turning around on top. I recall reading the story, but can't find any online articles.
I do have some photos I took at the spot they were found. These photos were taken in June 2012. RIP guys.

Jason Keith Lindsey - http://www.deseretnews.com/article/559038/Death--Jason-Keith-Lindsey.html

Wayne J. Cummings Jr. - http://www.deseretnews.com/article/559043/Death--Wayne-J-Cummings-Jr.html

100_2373.jpg

100_2374_zps3wm2ue66.jpg

100_2377_zpsfa4jgbol.jpg

parked along the backside of lion's back

100_2372.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom