Cargo area tire carrier build

ESSAYONS12B

Nice work! Great idea. Any concerns with the tub sheet metal deforming/bending over time with the weight of the tire?

Initially I was worried about this as well. I have no worries about sheet metal deformation now it's very sturdy the weight is almost centered on the 15" tube because the top of the tire extends only a couple inches less from the centerline as the bottom. Also when installed in a hard top it also disperses the weight even further protecting the sheet metal.

The Kraken

First of all great work on the carrier! I've thought about doing this but it would take away the cargo area I utilize. I currently have a Poison Spyder body mounted tire carrier and it rattles due to my brother in law and I tightening the lower driver side bolts too tight. I guess since you keep the spare inside you run a low tire pressure like 6-8lbs?

The Kraken

I am curious... why would you assume or suggest that?

Well it's a guess and a question. I ask that because of heat inside of a vehicle possibly making a tire expand. I've have left volleyballs, basketballs and footballs in a trunk of a car before and living in Texas especially South Texas temperatures climb very high in a vehicle and it has made those above mentioned expand and warp. So I just thought that it could possibly happen to a tire if it overheats.

R

RockyMtnAnvil

Well it's a guess and a question. I ask that because of heat inside of a vehicle possibly making a tire expand. I've have left volleyballs, basketballs and footballs in a trunk of a car before and living in Texas especially South Texas temperatures climb very high in a vehicle and it has made those above mentioned expand and warp. So I just thought that it could possibly happen to a tire if it overheats.

I have my spare in the tub, but haven't noticed any issues. Of course we dont get the heat you do! I thought it might be a safety issue, (exploding tires, etc.) which is why I asked.

The Kraken

I have my spare in the tub, but haven't noticed any issues. Of course we dont get the heat you do! I thought it might be a safety issue, (exploding tires, etc.) which is why I asked.

It's cool, I just thought that the tire could expand or warp or potentially pop inside. But I guess depending on the climate and weather it possibly could. I like the idea of the tire inside.

ESSAYONS12B

First of all great work on the carrier! I've thought about doing this but it would take away the cargo area I utilize. I currently have a Poison Spyder body mounted tire carrier and it rattles due to my brother in law and I tightening the lower driver side bolts too tight. I guess since you keep the spare inside you run a low tire pressure like 6-8lbs?

I keep it at 30 lbs to reduce flex in the tire since it's basically a friction based mount. Have not had any issues with heat expansion. My tires are rated for 50 psi max I believe it would take unreal temps to raise the pressure to the point of failure. Tire pressures increase about 1 psi per 10 degrees of temp increase. So it would take a 200 degree temp increase just to reach max recommended inflation. Tire failure due to pressure alone would be in the 250+ psi area. Equaling a 2,200 degree temp increase obviously it would have structural failure do to heat long before then but you get the point. The internal temp of your jeep in any climate could not cause tire failure due to over pressure unless it's over inflated to begin with.

Last edited:

The Kraken

I keep it at 30 lbs to reduce flex in the tire since it's basically a friction based mount. Have not had any issues with heat expansion. My tires are rated for 50 psi max I believe it would take unreal temps to raise the pressure to the point of failure. Tire pressures increase about 1 psi per 10 degrees of temp increase. So it would take a 200 degree temp increase just to reach max recommended inflation. Tire failure due to pressure alone would be in the 250+ psi area. Equaling a 2,200 degree temp increase obviously it would have structural failure do to heat long before then but you get the point. The internal temp of your jeep in any climate could not cause tire failure due to over pressure unless it's over inflated to begin with.

Great thanks! I appreciate the info and the explanation. I've got my tires set at 30 lbs as well. Thanks again and the carrier looks great!

ESSAYONS12B

that's awesome now you can add a tire carrier on the back so you can have 2 SPARES :evil snicker: HAHA looks good though !

Lol hadn't even thought of that. True but I just wanted it off the back to increase departure angle and save the stock tailgate hinges from failure. Thanks btw.

Top Bottom