led tailight help

98tjsherry

So im thinking about replacing my stock tailights with round led lights with the black grommet. I dont know much about led lights and was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction here. I keep hearing stuff about anti flicker harnesses and other stuff that isnt needed with stock lighting. Just wondering what all is needed before i do it. Thanks

WJCO

Meme King
So im thinking about replacing my stock tailights with round led lights with the black grommet. I dont know much about led lights and was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction here. I keep hearing stuff about anti flicker harnesses and other stuff that isnt needed with stock lighting. Just wondering what all is needed before i do it. Thanks

LEDs are diodes and only allow current one way. Since they are an electronic part rather than an incandescent bulb, the normal circuit resistance can cause them to act erratically sometimes and flicker. So, do your research on whatever lights you will be adding. Most good quality LED companies will either use a well-built LED assy that already has the proper resistors in them or will come with an anti-flicker harness. I would find the lights you want, then research the hell out them and see what others have experienced. You pay for what you get if you go with real cheap ones usually.

The biggest difference between bulbs and LEDs is that an LED is an electronic part where a bulb is an incandescent filament.

Evil

Your going to want something like this. PSC makes a splice in kit and may sell just the harness alone. The lights can be had at any truck stop. EVO sells this kit with harness and Truck Lite LED's for less then I found just the lights for so that was a killer deal, all will work on the TJ as well. Add in all that electrical nerd stuff WJ just said and you'll be alright:thumb:
IMG_3155.jpg

Sgt_USMC

What brand of oval LED lights would yall recommend? I have the goal of upgrading all of my exterior lights to LED at some point.

geberhard

Douchebag
Check out the hybrid Maxxima LED's really cool design and it has the backup light as part of it as well. I had bought a set for my JK bit did not work on my corner guards, but are perfect on a TJ:

Maxima_Hybrid_Light_Front_Dimensions_M85415R__86165.1419874897.1280.1280.jpg

geberhard

Douchebag
They are about $30 a pop. Like Evil posted above, I added the gold color load resistors on my JK and they work flawlessly, about $4 for a pair on ebay.

Top Bottom