New Rear Lighting Idea

Frydaddy

Looks like i might have to do a build page soon. I've made a few changes recently. And the wiring is getting intense.
pdf.jpg

I've since moved it to the center, cutting out the 3rd brake light stalk (it was cracked anyways) and put in my own 3rd brake light LED strip on the platform. It also has turn signals and running lights all on the same strip (Amazon search Motorcycle Brake Light Strip)

IMG_20161229_152024317_HDR.jpg

I've also built a different kind of roof light for the front as well. Avoiding the light bars, I put up some light pods in the front corners as well.
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?38389-A-different-windshield-light-mount

Edit: updated drawing

Last edited:

GraniteCrystal

Looks like i might have to do a build page soon. I've made a few changes recently. And the wiring is getting intense.
View attachment 237155

I've since moved it to the center, cutting out the 3rd brake light stalk (it was cracked anyways) and put in my own 3rd brake light LED strip on the platform. It also has turn signals and running lights all on the same strip (Amazon search Motorcycle Brake Light Strip)

View attachment 237154

I've also built a different kind of roof light for the front as well. Avoiding the light bars, I put up some light pods in the front corners as well.
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?38389-A-different-windshield-light-mount

Edit: updated drawing
Yep, time for a build thread

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
Build thread: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=32769

Fires JK

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! I'll have to make a proper introductory Wave soon and give a little background. Everyone likes origin stories right?

8pound, I like your setup there, what kind of LEDs are those? They look much more functional than mine. How is that antenna position treating you? My EE background is screaming, seeing a grounded post right beside the radiating element.

I want to make a few taps into the jeep fuse box and use some of the unused slots, I will have to post up if the Bussmann connectors will fit the the empty spots in the jeep connectors.

This weekend we are going top down and doorless to the top of the Harquahala Mountain. If any Phoenicians are interested, Its out west towards Salome, and climbs about 3500 feet on a ten mile trail. Its a steep but easy trail, just difficult enough to weed out the SUVs and crossovers.
Not necessarily true the last time I went up they had graded the road and the first time there were geo trackers on the trail. Great views, Highest point in SW Arizona. To add a little fun there is a turn off just below the summit that will take you to the old well that was used to supply water to the observation station at the top.

Frydaddy

Not necessarily true the last time I went up they had graded the road and the first time there were geo trackers on the trail. Great views, Highest point in SW Arizona. To add a little fun there is a turn off just below the summit that will take you to the old well that was used to supply water to the observation station at the top.

It's a neat trip, I've been up there three times since that post. I haven't been to the well or the two mines down in the valley yet. Geocaching is a lot of fun especially with a Jeep!

geocaching.com The website is good for logging your finds, and downloading geocaches to a GPS, but avoid the phone app. It gets pretty indignant with requiring premium memberships.

leapdog1

Switches

From my days in a Cherokee, I enjoyed having lights that shined out, around, and back, instead of umpteen-thousand lights shining only forward. With my new rig, it was clear there are no high mount locations, here is my plan for the rear. The front lights might require a more invasive approach.

This platform can extend up to the roof line for better antenna propagation, and puts the lights up high to see better. When collapsed, it lowers everything for entering parking garages and still allows for a clear line of sight out of the rear window. My future plans will put the brake light inside the spare wheel, and this post in the very center.
View attachment 202619

The Platform is 3" by 6", and is offset to the rear to mount the NMO connector for the antenna in the center. The posts are 2 foot even, with holes at 1" and 16" (and 20" just because.) for the quick disconnect pin. Note: I didn't have the proper quick disconnect pin yet, a big screw will have to do.
View attachment 202620

Welded tabs for existing bolts, bent and recessed to clear the aluminum edges.
View attachment 202625

My Sport edition doesn't have all the fancy stuff, so i decided to make use of those delete panels. Cheap Amazon switches beware, the dang things were assembled wrong, down would turn it ON.
View attachment 202622

When wiring the switches, the tabs need cut off for clearance, and the wires need to clear the circuit board, that means lower than the locating pins.
View attachment 202623

Never run full power through cheap switches. Here, I have a Bussmann fuse/relay panel, giving signal power to the switches, and higher gauge wire to the actual lights. The lights use a diode to also trigger on when backing up, and the ham radio kicks on with the key or when I hit the switch. There are preparations for puddle lights that turn on with the interior lights or a dedicated switch as well.
View attachment 202621

I will not be doing the typical 4 foot front light bar, but instead these same lights at 45 degrees out on the top window frame. Trail clearance will be a top priority and it will require holes in the shiny new Jeep, so I may wait a little on this.
I'm a first time poster, Let me know what you think, I welcome all comments and suggestions.

The rocker switches you put in place of the blanks, where did you find those?

Top Bottom