Inflatable (internal) Beadlocks

JoeB-JKURX

Does anyone run the Staun (Coyote) inflatable internal beadlocks with regular wheels? I love my Level 8 Bully Pro wheels from Discount Tires (especially the fact that you can beat the crap out of the rock ring and just replace it when it is too trashed to use anymore - with zero damage to the actual wheel). On the other hand, I really like the idea of beadlocks to run at a low enough pressure to work in some extreme situations. It would seem that something like this internal beadlock would be an ideal solution to this situation. I know the DOT thing is confusing and that a lot of guys run beadlocks on the highway. That said, there is not even an issue with these internal beadlocks as they are really not much more than an inner tube (a very tough one though). The other thing that occurs to me is that outfits like Discount may mount and balance wheels with these installed (probably have to pay extra though). Not that Staun (Coyote) recommends it, but it would seem that you could even take the electronics for the TPMS and velcro (or otherwise attach) it inside the tire (it won't fit at the regular valve stem location but it would seem that you could remove the valve stem from the TPMS electronics and find a place - make a pocket, perhaps where it would fit). What do you think?

Last edited:

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
Dout u will be able to use the TPMS sensor. There will be no way to attach it and Velcro will not work at all.

Last edited:

JoeB-JKURX

Dout u will be able to use the TPMS sensor. There will be no way to attach it and Velcro not work at all.

I'd probably just disable it (the TPMS). I did read somewhere that someone was able to use the TPMS with one or the other of the inflatable beadlocks. Can't seem to find the article but will post copy if I do.

geberhard

Douchebag
Check this out:

As far as Stauns I have run them in different Jeeps in the last decade without any issues when installed correctly. They are pretty stealth and do not interfere with balancing, plus are double beadlocks. If you are planning to run pressure in the single digits and hit a lot of rocks, I would go with true beadlocks instead, as the Stauns will tend to "shaffe" against the tires.

My $.02 cents

Last edited by a moderator:

WJCO

Meme King
Check this out:

As far as Stauns I have run them in different Jeeps in the last decade without any issues when installed correctly. They are pretty stealth and do not interfere with balancing, plus are double beadlocks. If you are planning to run pressure in the single digits and hit a lot of rocks, I would go with true beadlocks instead, as the Stauns will tend to "shaffe" against the tires.

My $.02 cents

Friendly heads up, don't post links to other forums here, against the forum rules. Just copy the info from the forum and post it here. FYI.

JEEPnGEO

Do these really work. I want to get new wheels once my tires wear out. I hate having 16 inch rims. I would love slabs but I may go the cheaper brand.

JoeB-JKURX

Most Tire Shops won't Deal with Beadlocks

Discount won't mount or balance conventional beadlocks. 4WP only sells (as far as their catalog would indicate) Rockmonsters and the Staun/Coyote Inflatable Beadlocks. Both are dual beadlocks (they press against the inside of the tire at the outside and inside rims). I've not checked but they do say that they will install anything they sell so I'd have to say that they would at least handle these two brands (styles).

geberhard

Douchebag
Why not just install them yourselves? It takes about 20-30 minutes per wheel at the most. One of the benefits of having beadlocks is not having to deal with tire shops:D In my opinion, if you have to pay someone to install your beadlocks chances are you should not run beadlocks in the first place. You should also be ready to check and maintain your beadlocks as part of normal maintenance as with use studs or nuts may loosen up overtime.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Why not just install them yourselves? It takes about 20-30 minutes per wheel at the most. One of the benefits of having beadlocks is not having to deal with tire shops:D In my opinion, if you have to pay someone to install your beadlocks chances are you should not run beadlocks in the first place. You should also be ready to check and maintain your beadlocks as part of normal maintenance as with use studs or nuts may loosen up overtime.

I don't know, if you've ever seen what it takes to install an internal bead lock like a Staun, you'd want to have someone do it for you too. They are a crazy pain in the ass to install!

That being said, I'd have to agree, if you're not willing or capable of installing your own standard bead lock, they may not be for you.

geberhard

Douchebag
Eddie, I agree, installing the Stauns was a labor of love hehe :) The first one was harder, fitting, drilling etc. the other ones were much faster.

JoeB-JKURX

Installing Internal Beadlocks on Regular Wheel

I'd certainly agree that even installing tires on regular wheels (not to mention those with internal beadlocks) is something that is made much easier with a tire installing machine. I've done it (years ago) with a lot of soap, large tire irons, and ratchet straps to get the beads on the rims. It appears that installing a tire on a standard (external) beadlock is much easier (and not something that very many tire shops would tackle anyway) - I've not done that yet. My issue with a self installation (unless you are pretty lucky in your selection of a tire and rim) is balancing. If the wheels/tires are not balanced after an install, you (anyone) may be able to get by with a bubble balancer (pretty cheap and not hard to store in a garage). I remember years ago when they had little rigs that actually did a dynamic balance on the car. The wheel being balanced was raised off the ground and a small motor with a traction wheel was put between the ground and the tire. The tire/wheel was spun up and (I can't remember how) there was an indication of where the weights needed to be placed. You may be able to find a shop that will balance your tires/wheels (those that I've checked with - Goodyear, Firestone, Sears, Discount, Big O - will not). Force balancing, if needed, is a whole other question (would likely involve taking the lock ring off at least once to rotate the tire on the rim). If I wanted to enhance my business (and sell more tires), I'd do balancing (including force balancing) of beadlocks on a per hour charge basis.

In any case, the inflatable beadlocks are pretty stealth (and would not be considered any kind of violation any jurisdiction) as they are essentially nothing more than an inner tube. The LEOs in my area don't even give beadlocks a second look (they'd probably get them confused with the fake beadlocks in any case) but, I understand that there are places (mostly back east) where you stand a good chance of being cited if you have beadlocks on for public street use.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie, I agree, installing the Stauns was a labor of love hehe :) The first one was harder, fitting, drilling etc. the other ones were much faster.

LOL!! I suppose if you're into sadomasochism. It's sucks enough to change out tires on a standard set of bead locks.

Top Bottom