Any Good/Bad Experience with cone style aftermarket filters Offroad

WJCO

Meme King
Before anyone jumps to conclusions, lol, yes I would rather have a stock air intake system on my Jeep. Unfortunately due to a washer bottle re-locate (so tires don't hit it on WJs), I have an open (cold air) style setup. The filter I have is getting dirty and time to replace (it currently has a cheap filter, unknown brand name). I was thinking about just putting a K&N on, however, I've never used a K&N on a Jeep for an off-road application. I've had good experience with K&N filters as far as performance applications though, just don't know about off-road.

Looking for some feedback from you guys if any of you have run open/cone style filters off-road. I already searched the forum, and the only thread I found was more for drop-in filters, not open/cone styles. Appreciate the feedback. Here's a pic of what I have going on, I'm not worried about water intrusion as the filter is plenty high enough.

jeep (22).jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If your only option is to run a CAI style cone, I might recommend you use one of the new dry filters that don't require oiling. I would also recommend using a pre-filter sock to help keep out more crap and to help repel water. I've been using this setup on Moby and it seems to do well enough.

WJCO

Meme King
The only thing i would say since it is open, is to try and find one that doesn't require oil.

If your only option is to run a CAI style cone, I might recommend you use one of the new dry filters that don't require oiling. I would also recommend using a pre-filter sock to help keep out more crap and to help repel water. I've been using this setup on Moby and it seems to do well enough.

Good words. What are some brands that would allow me to custom select the size? Being that I made the intake tube out of ABS, I have to make sure the filter will be the right size. And I am definitely going to use the filter sock for sure.

Evil

I have a stock replacement K&N and always had K&N's and no issues. On anything open I would run a outerwear over the filter too. Check those things out.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
What is the benefit of these? What has been the results of using them? I have read more horsepower for one.

utiadam

LOSER
I was getting dust past my stock intake system and it was building up on my throttle body. Since i had read about it on here with the oil consumption issues after cold air intakes i did a lot of research. I ended up going with the volant intake with the Donaldson filter and a prefilter. I blow it out a day or so after each trail and inspect the tube and throttle body. So far I've been very happy. I have not seen any dust in the tube past the filter.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1462935633.356003.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1462935668.890942.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1462935714.765087.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1462935946.782682.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
I have heard those K&N's are not up to their hype. I have never ran an aftermarket though.

I've been using the K&N's in 2 rigs...I've got no complaints...

I have a stock replacement K&N and always had K&N's and no issues. On anything open I would run a outerwear over the filter too. Check those things out.

I've had lots of K&Ns over the years with no issues, however, those were not off-road vehicles. Glad to hear you guys have had good luck with them for Jeeps.

What is the benefit of these? What has been the results of using them? I have read more horsepower for one.

The pre-filter/sock? It minimizes dirt buildup on the filter itself and makes it harder for water to soak the filter. I used one on my WRX and cleaned the filter way less often because of it.

I was getting dust past my stock intake system and it was building up on my throttle body. Since i had read about it on here with the oil consumption issues after cold air intakes i did a lot of research. I ended up going with the volant intake with the Donaldson filter and a prefilter. I blow it out a day or so after each trail and inspect the tube and throttle body. So far I've been very happy. I have not seen any dust in the tube past the filter.

I looked at Donaldson today actually. Filter technology looks great. The hard part is that I only want a filter, not an entire system. Donaldson didn't seem to have anything close that fits what I need. So far I'm leaning toward K&N because the website is so user-friendly with sizing, along with my past experience of on-road vehicles.

jeeeep

Hooked
I've been running an AFE Pro Dry with a pre-filter for the last 3 years, much better than oil filter especially in dusty conditions like Moab summers.

I used to run oil filters and they work fine for DD but I suck at remembering to clean them. With the dry filter I pull it out and vacuum it easily while at the car wash.

When I'm in Moab or areas I know will be really dusty, I carry a spare. The pre-filter works seems to work well at controlling the amount of dust that gets trapped but I pop in the spare when the trip is over and give the pre-filter and filter a good cleaning once home. :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
3.6 with cone style cold air intake Filter and it works perfectly

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sure, it works and I have been forced to use them but I would never recommend them on purpose. They let in way too much dust and know way too many people who've run into oil consumption problems because of it. A few ended up needing a new motor because of it and in the case of ttfhell, he had a dealer installed Mopar CAI and they wouldn't cover it. Just some food for thought.

Huntpab1

Sure, it works and I have been forced to use them but I would never recommend them on purpose. They let in way too much dust and know way too many people who've run into oil consumption problems because of it. A few ended up needing a new motor because of it and in the case of ttfhell, he had a dealer installed Mopar CAI and they wouldn't cover it. Just some food for thought.

Not sure about the history behind mine because mine was in when I bought it!

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom