Jeep JL Wrangler Radius Arms - ARTICULINK??

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
I was thinking the same thing, even with high flex arms it's not as good as a 5 link but could potentially eliminate the death wobble issues all 5 link jeep of the past have had.

I'll give you that 5 links are more susceptible to death wobble than radius arms but death wobble is caused by loose or worn out components not suspension design.

Ausjeep113

I'll give you that 5 links are more susceptible to death wobble than radius arms but death wobble is caused by loose or worn out components not suspension design.

Yes all vehicles can get death wobble but it's much more common in 5 links just because of the design.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Yes all vehicles can get death wobble but it's much more common in 5 links just because of the design.

I disagree, it's more common because a lot of people either don't maintain their suspension or don't torque the bolts correctly. It's more susceptible because there is a greater range of movement in the arms.

There is no situation where radius arms are a better front suspension than a properly installed 5 link.

Ausjeep113

I'm not saying radius arms are better mate. In no ways are they better. They are just less susceptible to getting death wobble that's all I'm saying. Really if they are running radius arms on the JL wrangler it's a step backwards as you and I both know from how land cruisers and patrols are and even land rovers.
Properly installed and maintained 5 link front ends are always going to be the best combination between on road drive ability and off road domination.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not saying radius arms are better mate. In no ways are they better. They are just less susceptible to getting death wobble that's all I'm saying.

I don't know, I'd have to disagree with you on this too. Death wobble is something you see on solid axles. If it's not an issue with the track bar, it's typically a problem associated with the ball joints - neither have anything to do with 4-links or radius arms. Over the years, I have seen death wobble occur on all kinds of Jeeps and all kinds of suspension setups but of course, that's just me.

Ausjeep113

I don't know, I'd have to disagree with you on this too. Death wobble is something you see on solid axles. If it's not an issue with the track bar, it's typically a problem associated with the ball joints - neither have anything to do with 4-links or radius arms. Over the years, I have seen death wobble occur on all kinds of Jeeps and all kinds of suspension setups but of course, that's just me.

I'm not saying they don't get it either Eddie but just not as often. Like when some mentions death wobble, everyone's first thought is a jeep. I know at the end of the day it comes down mainly to poor maintenance and any vehicle can get it but most often than not it's a jeep with a 5 link front end.
I do see where you are coming from though. :)

Also has anyone seen The fast lane rumour video on the new JL? It just came up on YouTube. Apparently they have some spy shots of the JL chassis with a jk body on it and it's appears to still be running the 5 link and no radius arms. So good news [emoji106]🏻

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not saying they don't get it either Eddie but just not as often. Like when some mentions death wobble, everyone's first thought is a jeep. I know at the end of the day it comes down mainly to poor maintenance and any vehicle can get it but most often than not it's a jeep with a 5 link front end.
I do see where you are coming from though. :)

Also has anyone seen The fast lane rumour video on the new JL? It just came up on YouTube. Apparently they have some spy shots of the JL chassis with a jk body on it and it's appears to still be running the 5 link and no radius arms. So good news [emoji106]

LOL!! I just got done watching it.

That being said, I looked at the photo they took carefully and if you look, you'll see that the lower control arm axle brackets are swept back and look a lot like what you see on the Articulink setup.

articulink-2a.jpg

If I could guess, the Articulink will be something that is only offered on Rubicon models just like the electronic sway bar disconnect is on the current JK.

JeepFan

Hooked
LOL!! I just got done watching it.

That being said, I looked at the photo they took carefully and if you look, you'll see that the lower control arm axle brackets are swept back and look a lot like what you see on the Articulink setup.

View attachment 204061

If I could guess, the Articulink will be something that is only offered on Rubicon models just like the electronic sway bar disconnect is on the current JK.

Holy Crap! Am I seeing things or, Is that oil line hose clamped to the exhaust pipe? Nice!! :crazyeyes:

onetraveller

I wonder if it's actually the opposite. If the 5 link gives better articulation, but has a higher potential for death wobble, then I'd leave the 5 link on the Rubicon and put the radius arms on the Sport and Sahara models. Jeep sells a lot more Sports and Saharas then Rubicons, and this would keep the hard core off roaders happy while Jeep gets to try out the radius arm suspension in a mass production state. If it holds up and the buyers don't squawk to loudly, then they could discontinue the 5 link after the first model year or two. Kind of like the Dana 35 on the 2007 JKs.

I was also looking at one of the older spy photos of the rear axle on a diesel test mule. It looked a lot like the 9.5 inch axle under the Ram EcoDiesel. That would be an easy sourcing move for Jeep and it's already proven to stand up to the diesel torque in a heavy vehicle.

Mike

dladd35

Articulink/5-link

The radius arms of an articulink system still require 2 mounting points on the axle side each. Wouldn't it be fairly simple for aftermarket suspension manufacturers to produce a 5-link kit to replace the articulink system with upper/lower control arms and frame side brackets?

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Holy Crap! Am I seeing things or, Is that oil line hose clamped to the exhaust pipe? Nice!! :crazyeyes:

I'd say it looks more like a exhaust pressure sensor pipe like you see on DPFs but being a development mule it could be anything. They're normally covered in all sorts of unusual sensors.

NV375

The radius arms of an articulink system still require 2 mounting points on the axle side each. Wouldn't it be fairly simple for aftermarket suspension manufacturers to produce a 5-link kit to replace the articulink system with upper/lower control arms and frame side brackets?

I was thinking a long arm setup since it would likely provide new frame side brackets. Only time will tell if the clearance is there for the upper arms. I envision JLs with a DTD and PRs.

ScoobyCarolanNC

Wow. So basically everything is on the table. I'm just waiting for the release so I can get a final version JK on dealer clearance.

desertrunner

so how does the radius arm set up provide more vertical travel than the 4 control arm set up? i get the articulation thing but im trying to wrap my head around more vertical travel happens. my guess is it has something to do with the upper control arms limiting travel??? :thinking:

croge17

I personally dont like way radius arm style suspensions work. A properly set up 3,4,5 link suspension keeps the axle in a straighter plane and lets the axle rotate as it travels to compensate for different length control arms wher a radius arm setup will move the axle forward under compression and rearward under extension.

Top Bottom