SPY SHOTS Underneath a Jeep JL Wrangler!!

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
You might be fond of the original German ZF 8 which is used in FCA cars (and plenty of other great cars for the matter) with the ecodiesel or the V8s. 6 cylinder gas vehicles get the built under license in Mexico version of the ZF 8 which is trash.

Actually they get built under license from ZF in Kokomo, Indiana plant where they have been building FCAs transmissions for a very long time and aren't trash.

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
Actually they get built under license from ZF in Kokomo, Indiana plant where they have been building FCAs transmissions for a very long time and aren't trash.

They may be "final assembled" in Kokomo, but let's be honest, all of the parts are made and are from Mexico under license as the Chrysler redesigned 845RE which uses inferior internal parts for which I know for a fact compared to the original ZF as designated by Chrysler as the 8HP45.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
They may be "final assembled" in Kokomo, but let's be honest, all of the parts are made and are from Mexico under license as the Chrysler redesigned 845RE which uses inferior internal parts for which I know for a fact compared to the original ZF as designated by Chrysler as the 8HP45.

Not sure where you get your "facts" but it is actually the same transmission and parts just manufactured here. ZF also build a plant in the states for the 8hp70 which is used on the diesel and v8. And on BMW and other vehicles build in the USA. German companies see the US as a low cost manufacturer compared to Germany.

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
Not sure where you get your "facts" but it is actually the same transmission and parts just manufactured here. ZF also build a plant in the states for the 8hp70 which is used on the diesel and v8. And on BMW and other vehicles build in the USA. German companies see the US as a low cost manufacturer compared to Germany.

My facts come from seeing pictures from a family member of the inside of a Pentastar 8 speed that failed, was covered under warranty and was told by Chrysler employees that it failed because its a different, inferior part to the V8 and diesel version.

I also buy a number of Ram vehicles for the company I work for and in researching if the new pentastar/8 speed was a viable option, I saw nothing but issue after issue with the combo in brand new vehicles compared to the 0 issues we have had with the hemi/german 8 speed combo.

In regards to your opinion that Germans see the US as a low cost option, my opinion is that US see Mexico as a low cost option. Your work may lead to you have other information / beliefs in regards to this 8 speed subject, but this is my understanding, research, knowledge and beliefs. Maybe "trash" was too harsh of an description in my original post, but "utter rubbish leading to problems versus buying the hemi for $495 more" would be just as accurate to describe my position. I do however hope that these issues with the licensed version of the 8 speed can be dialed out before use in the JL because all in all the ZF 8 is a great transmission.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
My facts come from seeing pictures from a family member of the inside of a Pentastar 8 speed that failed, was covered under warranty and was told by Chrysler employees that it failed because its a different, inferior part to the V8 and diesel version.

I also buy a number of Ram vehicles for the company I work for and in researching if the new pentastar/8 speed was a viable option, I saw nothing but issue after issue with the combo in brand new vehicles compared to the 0 issues we have had with the hemi/german 8 speed combo.

In regards to your opinion that Germans see the US as a low cost option, my opinion is that US see Mexico as a low cost option. Your work may lead to you have other information / beliefs in regards to this 8 speed subject, but this is my understanding, research, knowledge and beliefs. Maybe "trash" was too harsh of an description in my original post, but "utter rubbish leading to problems versus buying the hemi for $495 more" would be just as accurate to describe my position. I do however hope that these issues with the licensed version of the 8 speed can be dialed out before use in the JL because all in all the ZF 8 is a great transmission.

The are different transmissions. The hemi/diesel uses the 8hp70 (700 Nm torque rating). The pentastar uses the 8hp45 or 845RFE (450 Nm torque rating). So yes the parts are different but not different because of "inferior made in mexico". The 845RFE is just the licensed vs of the 8hp45 that ZF makes.

Top Bottom