How Bad is This?

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Agree ^^^^^^^ This is going to be costly mistake. To fix your housing you would have to find a shop with a huge press and make special tooling to reform the end round again, weld the gouges and possibly the seal surface and re-machine. $1,000(s). Time to start looking for that donor!

bigbootysuperduty

The seal rides on the id correct. Your saying the id is round. I would polish the od till the backing plate goes on, file the face flat, and assemble it. Let it ride.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
I would take a small file and slowly knock down the burs from the chisel marks you have there. Leave it at that. I was a machinist for a while and did a lot of repair work on bearing and sleeve surfaces and to be honest, I don't think you have a lot to work with there. Not to mention it would cost more to fix it that route than it would be to just find a donor housing and start over.

Thanks. This is exactly what I did today and I was able to remove much of the ugly mangled edges with a file. I found a used Rubi axle shaft cheap enough to buy and try out since the shaft I pulled out has toasted bearing and seal. I'll put some sealant on the end of it and we'll see how it goes. In the meantime I'll keep an eye out for a slightly used rear axle that I can swap my internals into if this doesn't work out. I'm still puzzled by the bearing's condition when I pulled it out and how that collar ring moved on the shaft the way it did.

Last edited:

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Thanks. This is exactly what I did today and I was able to remove much of the ugly mangled edges with a file. I found a used Rubi axle shaft cheap enough to buy and try out. I'll put some sealant on the end of it and we'll see how it goes. In the meantime I'll keep an eye out for a slightly used rear axle that I can swap my internals into if this doesn't work out. I'm still puzzled by the bearing's condition when I pulled it out and how that collar ring moved on the shaft the way it did.

Good luck man
I hope it works

Exodus 4x4

Thanks. This is exactly what I did today and I was able to remove much of the ugly mangled edges with a file. I found a used Rubi axle shaft cheap enough to buy and try out. I'll put some sealant on the end of it and we'll see how it goes. In the meantime I'll keep an eye out for a slightly used rear axle that I can swap my internals into if this doesn't work out. I'm still puzzled by the bearing's condition when I pulled it out and how that collar ring moved on the shaft the way it did.

Is yours a rubicon? If not, that axle shaft won't work. Different lengths than regular D44 rears.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Is yours a rubicon? If not, that axle shaft won't work. Different lengths than regular D44 rears.

Thanks. Yes I know there is a difference and yes the axle is off a rubicon. I started with an X and swapped in a Rubi t-case, Rubi rear axle and Rubi swaybar among other crap

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Good luck man
I hope it works

Thanks. Owning a jeep is a learning experience for me. Even though its frustrating at times, I still like learning new things and doing the work is part of the fun. I want a report on the trail I was supposed to run with you today.

Top Bottom