Help with my home brew bumper?

USMC Wrangler

I'm building my own front bumper and have a couple fab questions. I'm using 1/4" steel and it's already pretty heavy now. I'm wondering what to do on the back/inside? I've made it so when I can afford a winch it will be recessed. Should I "box in" and/or gusset it anywhere in particular? Here are a couple shots of where I stand with it now...

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1463974454.810474.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1463974472.937421.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1463974486.955035.jpg

I'd like to get it wrapped up and ready for paint this week. Thanks in advance!

Ausjeep113

I've helped a few mates build winch bumpers but only done sliders and rear bumpers myself. Maybe someone with some more experience can chime in but Really 1/4" should be heaps strong enough as long as you have it solidly bolted to the frame.
If you just box in the recessed area around where the winch will sit that should be plenty really. That will add so much more strength to the winch cradle and as long as the frame bolts don't let you down I'm sure it will be fine mate.

USMC Wrangler

I am using the EVO front d-ring mounts which bolt through the bumper, into the frame. Yes, that is my plan...to box in the winch mounting. I am leaving all of that to be added when I actually have a winch. I have a winch fund started but it will still be a little while. Thanks for the reassurance!

SilverBack

1/4 inch is more then strong enough as long as you used good steel most manufacturers use 3/16. As for the winch box, I can only say what I had to do with the winch plate I mounted. It connects to the frame inner part of the rails along the sides. This is where the weight bearing transfers from the winch to the jeep. I'm guessing that it isn't the only way to do it safely but maybe you'll want to connect the same way in addition to the 8bolts holding the bumper on. Then again, I may be way off base...

USMC Wrangler

Thanks! The steel came from a local steel/welding shop and it is legit 1/4". I figured on bolting the winch mount to the frame rails but wasn't sure 100%. That's part of the reason I'm holding off on that until I have a winch in hand, to test fit, measure, etc.

Top Bottom