JL Diesel, AdBlue/DEF, and the Apocalypse

JamesWyatt

The problems you speak of are from a different manufacturer and irrelevant to Chrysler products and their diesel engines.

If that day ever comes do you think fuel will be available? You should look in to horses.

Google "grand cherokee def problems". Again, I don't know anything about it, but the first result is a 14 page thread.

I've got a 2015 Duramax Chevy Silverado, the DEF does suck but you only have to add DEF every 5,000 miles so the dealer just does it when I get the oil changed. I bet Chrysler does the same thing with their diesel pickups and they'll probably do it with the Wrangler.

If you wanted to go to the aftermarket route there will be diesel tuners that will be able to flash the computer to run with a straight pipe (emissions removed) if you wanted to go that route, but in a lot of states you wouldn't pass emissions but here in Florida we can get away with it.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
The other issue is turbo lag. This is why you cannot get a Ram Powerwagon in a diesel. You have no power until the turbo spools. Once it does you have shit tons of power. This would make crawling a diesel jeep quite the interesting experience.

I read the Power Wagon engineers specifically said it was the heavy weight of the diesel engine itself that keeps it out of the running (the lighter diesel engines not being an option for such a big truck).

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/news/a8016/ram-power-wagon-3-diesel-options/

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Power Wagon simply a 3/4 ton with a winch, etc.

Why would the Cummins not work? There's how many 3/4 ton dodges out there with Cummins in them.

I feel like the winch taking up the space where the intercooler would be is more logical answer as to why but I still say BS on chryslers/mopars part for doing that if that's the case. I feel like a Cummins powered Power Wagon would've sold quite well.

I'm talking more SHTF situations in which fuel is really the only need. All the other vehicle fluids will well outlast the availability of fuel except for DEF.

If your concerned about SHTF situations I would forget any vehicle that has a computer. I'd look at something like a 12 valve 6BT cummins or a 4BT cummins if your wanting a smaller rig. Or a Duece and a half with the good motor that runs off of any fuel (don't remember which engine or years) but the one that runs off of diesel, gas, jet fuel, etc. Also in today's time I would also make sure it's a standard. That will limit your chances of it getting stolen from you as there are a lot of people who can't drive a stick. However, in an actual SHTF situation some of these same people that I am referring too who can't drive sticks, probably can't do much else to survive either so they probably won't. Lol.

JamesWyatt

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Power Wagon simply a 3/4 ton with a winch, etc.

Why would the Cummins not work? There's how many 3/4 ton dodges out there with Cummins in them.

I feel like the winch taking up the space where the intercooler would be is more logical answer as to why but I still say BS on chryslers/mopars part for doing that if that's the case. I feel like a Cummins powered Power Wagon would've sold quite well.

The article said it was for both reasons. Sounds like they're saying a 3/4 ton with a Cummins is too heavy for rock crawling, etc. (not that it's already too big to fit on a lot of trails, but still).

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
The article said it was for both reasons. Sounds like they're saying a 3/4 ton with a Cummins is too heavy for rock crawling, etc. (not that it's already too big to fit on a lot of trails, but still).

It would definitely be heavy, too heavy though? That could be argued per say. There are plenty of full size diesel rock crawlers out there, if that's what your into. I think they are neat but don't know that I would want one for a full time wheeler. Tow rig definitely.

I would love to build a crew cab rig like what Offroad Design built but run a 12 valve Cummins, NV5600, and a 203/205 doubler or a magnum box with a 205. It would primarily be a tow rig but I could still wheel it some if wanted/needed. It would also be used as an offroad camper rig if I wanted something bigger than the Jk. For now I got the burban, need to work on it though.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
I'm talking more SHTF situations in which fuel is really the only need. All the other vehicle fluids will well outlast the availability of fuel except for DEF.

The problems you speak of are from a different manufacturer and irrelevant to Chrysler products and their diesel engines.

If that day ever comes do you think fuel will be available? You should look in to horses.

Seriously.

I'm all about being prepared but the line has to be drawn somewhere.

I have seen some "SHTF" situations when I was deployed for hurricane catastrophe events. One of the FIRST things to go is fuel. People hoard it and really it will only last for about 2 days, then it is mostly all gone. People want to store it somewhere and they will last, what, 6-12 months, then what?

I love the stupid "SHTF" discussions. They are 10 times worse on the firearm forums, in which people talk about what rifle is best, which caliber, etc. Really, the vehicle will not be needed in any situation people associate with "SHTF".

I would be more concerned about how much water me and my family have, but that is just me.

Dale72

Hooked
Really you don"t wont to let the def get below a 1/4 tank it will stop up the screen that is in it over time and it has to be taken to the dealer to get cleaned out

Bacon

Ah. So simple. Thanks.

Now that i know wtf ur talking about, OP, in that case you're going to run out of diesel fuel long before def unless you've been ignoring that DEF warning light, I think you're waaay overthinking it.

JamesWyatt

Ah. So simple. Thanks.

Now that i know wtf ur talking about, OP, in that case you're going to run out of diesel fuel long before def unless you've been ignoring that DEF warning light, I think you're waaay overthinking it.

Oh, I'm waaaay overthinking it. Let us people stuck in cubicles all day have our SHTF fantasies. Funny, but at my last job a group of us would joke about how great a zombie apocalypse would be because we wouldn't have to come in to work, we'd get lots of fresh air, and get to shoot and hunt all day :p

WJCO

Meme King
Oh, I'm waaaay overthinking it. Let us people stuck in cubicles all day have our SHTF fantasies. Funny, but at my last job a group of us would joke about how great a zombie apocalypse would be because we wouldn't have to come in to work, we'd get lots of fresh air, and get to shoot and hunt all day :p

Tell you what...Send me 200k and I'll build you a badass SHTF Jeep. Western Union only and don't worry that the address is in Africa.

You need something like an old Deuce and a a half with one of the multi fuel engines that will eat anything. otherwise you will run out of fuel before DEF

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
It's a non issue. My dad has a GC diesel. It doesn't smell, it doesn't have issues idling for hours (my dad has trouble hearing after he was hospitalized a few years back, and one time, he accidentally pulled into the driveway and left the jeep running....overnight,) nor is the DEF fluid an issue. For normal driving (he does a NYC commute with stop and go) he gets around 10000 miles to a 10 gallon tank of DEF. I order more on amazon prime and it takes a few minutes to fill, or he gets it topped off at a dealer during the scheduled oil changes. So far, his 2014 has 45k on the clock and it had zero issues. We did have them address a recall on an axle issue, although we didn't have any problems, we figured we should let them fix whatever issue MAY arise. The torque is amazing, MPG on average are close to 30 (closer to 40 on open highways), etc. You can feel a tad of restrictiveness and "lag" which could be easily removed with a chip/programmer, and you could probably get another 50ft/lbs with a good exhaust. Clean turbo diesels are the future.

JamesWyatt

It's a non issue. My dad has a GC diesel. It doesn't smell, it doesn't have issues idling for hours (my dad has trouble hearing after he was hospitalized a few years back, and one time, he accidentally pulled into the driveway and left the jeep running....overnight,) nor is the DEF fluid an issue. For normal driving (he does a NYC commute with stop and go) he gets around 10000 miles to a 10 gallon tank of DEF. I order more on amazon prime and it takes a few minutes to fill, or he gets it topped off at a dealer during the scheduled oil changes. So far, his 2014 has 45k on the clock and it had zero issues. We did have them address a recall on an axle issue, although we didn't have any problems, we figured we should let them fix whatever issue MAY arise. The torque is amazing, MPG on average are close to 30 (closer to 40 on open highways), etc. You can feel a tad of restrictiveness and "lag" which could be easily removed with a chip/programmer, and you could probably get another 50ft/lbs with a good exhaust. Clean turbo diesels are the future.

Good to hear. I do hope they keep the lag to a minimum, especially in 4L at lower RPMs. Surely they will tune it specific to the Wrangler's capabilities. I know with the later model Touareg TDIs, the lag was more at low RPM and then it kicked in to launch you forward. Word was the older models had much less lag but didn't pull as hard at higher RPMs, which I think would be a better setup for the Wrangler.

frenchjk

Caught the Bug
I don't know about the US market but out here in Europe we have the 2.8 diesel with a DPF and the v6 with the same thing. NO extra fluid needed as there is an afterburn sequence programed to run when the before and after DPF sensors send out a "delta>0" signal. However the thing does need to run on open roads ever so often to burn the soot out. If the procedure is not followed then the SHTF.....and can be mucho $$$$$$! (Cases of common rail failures, turbo failures etc have been reported)

The diesel IS good for crawling as the turbo is quick to spool up (variable geometry) and the torque is great. Driving a Turbo diesel JK is different from the gas version but once you get the hang of it it is cool to use torque instead of high RPM's to get over stuff. (Then it's even more fun if you throw in a stick instead of the auto).

What we'll get for the JL is still a mystery but I wouldn't be surprised to see the same technology instead of the friggin' additives etc........i'm stickin' to the JK for now thank you.

Diesel_Ranger

After reading the title concern of "SHTF" and DEF, I have to wonder, why would you be concerned about emissions if S has hit the F? :thinking: DEF is all added post combustion and does not change the attributes of the motor all. Since most trucks equipped with a DEF system or more specifically a Selective Catalytic Reduction system enter a "limp mode" when no DEF is in the tank, to prepare for a SHTF moment purchase a simple tuner that bypasses this system. The best part is, you dont have to use the tuner until you need it (aka when SHTF), so you are able to maintain all your factory settings until you don't need them.

The reality is, a diesel engine in a wrangler would be the perfect SHTF choice for you. :twocents: As the potential for 28+ MPG you would be able to significantly out drive any gas counterpart with the same volume of fuel. As far as having a "muli-fuel" "Deuce-and-a-half", they are a cute idea. The reality is, almost all of the original multi fuel engines were designed to run best on a diesel or diesel like fuel and it is HIGHLY discouraged to run gas like fuels, and if you do run gas it MUST be mixed with HEAVILY with motor oil or other heavy petroleum based oil (which the engine would run better on without gas). Not only that, the trucks themselves are OLD, slow, heavy, noisy, and parts are now all "Old Stock" which makes parts availability specific to only to those who hoard them.

I have owned a M813X, M931A2, M925A2, and currently own a M1078 LMTV (all straight from the government, the first 3 powered by Cummins, and the last with a CAT). Of all the trucks, the most modern (M1078) is the easiest and most fun to drive. It has also been the easiest to find parts for.

As far as the JL is concerned, I would love to see the 3.6 diesel offered complimented with the 8 speed, especially in the JL truck. Though diesel may not be for everyone, I enjoy the smell and the comforting rattle of that is specific to a diesel. It tickles me pink. Low end torque, great fuel mileage (aka a day on the trail without moving the fuel gauge), and over landing/offloading in countries where diesel is more common are considerations I made that would favor a diesel. For most though, the extra cost may not be worth it (especially those amongst us who are happy leaving their Jeep stock ;) :D

As far as the smell goes, if your diesel jeep is stock with DEF system in place, others on the trail might not even know it is a diesel as the SCR reduces emissions that are usually associated with the diesel smell. :brows:

Top Bottom