JL Diesel, AdBlue/DEF, and the Apocalypse

After reading the title concern of "SHTF" and DEF, I have to wonder, why would you be concerned about emissions if S has hit the F? :thinking: DEF is all added post combustion and does not change the attributes of the motor all. Since most trucks equipped with a DEF system or more specifically a Selective Catalytic Reduction system enter a "limp mode" when no DEF is in the tank, to prepare for a SHTF moment purchase a simple tuner that bypasses this system. The best part is, you dont have to use the tuner until you need it (aka when SHTF), so you are able to maintain all your factory settings until you don't need them.

The reality is, a diesel engine in a wrangler would be the perfect SHTF choice for you. :twocents: As the potential for 28+ MPG you would be able to significantly out drive any gas counterpart with the same volume of fuel. As far as having a "muli-fuel" "Deuce-and-a-half", they are a cute idea. The reality is, almost all of the original multi fuel engines were designed to run best on a diesel or diesel like fuel and it is HIGHLY discouraged to run gas like fuels, and if you do run gas it MUST be mixed with HEAVILY with motor oil or other heavy petroleum based oil (which the engine would run better on without gas). Not only that, the trucks themselves are OLD, slow, heavy, noisy, and parts are now all "Old Stock" which makes parts availability specific to only to those who hoard them.

I have owned a M813X, M931A2, M925A2, and currently own a M1078 LMTV (all straight from the government, the first 3 powered by Cummins, and the last with a CAT). Of all the trucks, the most modern (M1078) is the easiest and most fun to drive. It has also been the easiest to find parts for.

As far as the JL is concerned, I would love to see the 3.6 diesel offered complimented with the 8 speed, especially in the JL truck. Though diesel may not be for everyone, I enjoy the smell and the comforting rattle of that is specific to a diesel. It tickles me pink. Low end torque, great fuel mileage (aka a day on the trail without moving the fuel gauge), and over landing/offloading in countries where diesel is more common are considerations I made that would favor a diesel. For most though, the extra cost may not be worth it (especially those amongst us who are happy leaving their Jeep stock ;) :D

As far as the smell goes, if your diesel jeep is stock with DEF system in place, others on the trail might not even know it is a diesel as the SCR reduces emissions that are usually associated with the diesel smell. :brows:

I was just pointing out that in a true scenario Diesel won't be available and you will need something that can run on used motor oil if need be. If you can still get fuel from the Pumps you should be able to get DEF. As I live in a non emissions state I would just pull the systems and tune as soon as the warranty is gone. I agree that the old deuces are more a toy than anything else.

kpig

To the OP, I currently own a 15 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel and I love it because it gets 29 mpg combined. If you live in a state that doesn't have emissions checks, you can do an off road tune and delete the DPS/def, SCR, and EGR.

If you are looking for a bug out vehicle when the SHTF, this ain't it....stock. All the emissions crap would have to be deleted. Also, you would have to get an aftermarket oil cooler as the factory coolers have proven unreliable causing catastrophic engine failures when oil gets into the cooling system.

I got rid of my 03 f250 with 7.3 and regret it terribly. If you live in a state with no emissions, go for it, but be prepared to spend a bunch on mods to get it that way. If you want something ready to roll from the factory, this ain't it.

Hope it helps.

puravida

To the OP, I currently own a 15 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel and I love it because it gets 29 mpg combined. If you live in a state that doesn't have emissions checks, you can do an off road tune and delete the DPS/def, SCR, and EGR.

If you are looking for a bug out vehicle when the SHTF, this ain't it....stock. All the emissions crap would have to be deleted. Also, you would have to get an aftermarket oil cooler as the factory coolers have proven unreliable causing catastrophic engine failures when oil gets into the cooling system.

I got rid of my 03 f250 with 7.3 and regret it terribly. If you live in a state with no emissions, go for it, but be prepared to spend a bunch on mods to get it that way. If you want something ready to roll from the factory, this ain't it.

Hope it helps.

2016-2017 GC w/ eco diesels are rumored to be getting 30+mpg highway

Top Bottom