69 Commando RestoMod Build

The decision to go with the YJ front clip came from a need for more coverage where the front axle was putting the center-line of the wheels.

With a Commando front clip we were going to struggle to make it look right.

The good idea fairy showed up and we happened to have a YJ right next to my Jeep and so the hood and grill went on for a test fit and it lined up perfectly, to our surprise.

A phone call the next day got me a grill and a hood. The hood was in bad shape and had oil canned from a fire so we ordered a new YJ hood. It will be somewhat Commando, but I agree there isn't much left it truly is a "frank-en-Jeep."

Color choices - Jesus that was a laborious process. I thought about blue, red, "hugger orange", a couple shades of green especially the Neon Green that was used on TJ's and LJ's in 2004 and 2005. Then I decided on black with copper accents. Right before we ordered paint however, I was thinking about using Gold Bronze Metallic, which incidentally is the color of my 2011 F150. The other color I liked from that era of Ford Trucks is the Grizzly Brown Metallic - which is what we used. I love this color because it changes depending on the time of day. It can appear Black, but then also looks like a root beer brown.

The powder color for accents was a case of trial and error. We originally went the a Sahara Gold from Tiger Drylac, but ended up with Mystic Copper from Prismatic Powders. I was considering a few other accent colors with much more, "bling - bling" in appearance, and while I'll always wonder what they would have looked like I am happy with how the Mystic Copper has turned out. I just hope we don't get carried away with using the accent color.

I feel like black wheels have their place, but also think black wheels have run their course. Everyone is doing it - and so many have done it, so I had to go and do something different. Black Wheels were making their way into the Jeep world about 1998 and by 2001 when Jeep started building Yellow TJ's the use of black wheels really hit its stride. In my opinion black wheels have had their day; but to each their own.

By in large this "Commando Build" has been something I've been wanting to do since I picked up my first Quadratec Catalog sometime in the mid 90's. Although the 'dream Jeep' of my fantasy's typically involves an Aqualoo tub, a throttle down kustoms frame, and full width tons the rest of the build was much simpler in my head. The evolution of this build also charts the evolution of my relationship and ultimately my friendship with Derek of ATX in Amarillo. We speak typically three to four times a day and build the Jeep together when I can get to town. Our ideas are generally inline with each others, as our are creative mental blocks.

When I came across the Commando it was luck or fate. My buddy Justin Williams had built a Commando in the early 2000's and had bought the my Commando for the hard top that was on it. After stripping it of its hard top it lived an uneventful life in a barn for 6 or 7 years when he told me about it. So on a lark I asked to see it.

So by virtue of having a wad of cash in the front pocket of my jeans when we went to look at it the Commando it became the Jeep I would build. Having gone through this with a C101 - I've got my eyes open for another one. I need a hard top for this one, so I've got my eyes out.

Got the dash in.

Steering wheel - Powder coated.

All that room between the Radiator and the engine made it interesting.

+

Calipers blasted

Poweder

My steering knuckle from Weaver Fabrication - my 60 is from a 2004 S.D.

Just out of curiosity, since you're going to the length of a complete frame off rebuild and not returning it to stock form, why not go with coilovers?

As you can imagine scratch building a Jeep like this is expensive. The original plan was for coilovers, but cost added up and suspension was easier to make work the leaf springs. In an eventual evolution, about a year from now I'll tear it back down - and link it or do something else.

thardy

Banned
As you can imagine scratch building a Jeep like this is expensive. The original plan was for coilovers, but cost added up and suspension was easier to make work the leaf springs. In an eventual evolution, about a year from now I'll tear it back down - and link it or do something else.

I can understand that. I really want to build a Commando myself, and my thought would have been to build a tube chassis instead of having a factory rebuild. That way you set it up for the coilovers and don't run into the header issues, etc. It tends to be cheaper on a build like this to tube chassis it for the setup you want versus having to modify a factory one (especially one you had custom made). Just my $.02.

I can understand that. I really want to build a Commando myself, and my thought would have been to build a tube chassis instead of having a factory rebuild. That way you set it up for the coilovers and don't run into the header issues, etc. It tends to be cheaper on a build like this to tube chassis it for the setup you want versus having to modify a factory one (especially one you had custom made). Just my $.02.

I learned so much during this build - things I would do again and things I would change. Biggest change I would make is engine position. Had we moved the engine forward after electing to use the YJ Grill and Hood instead of the Commando Hood and Grill we could have made that work. I believe it would have given us more room in the engine bay. However, the position of the engine now is pretty sweet, essentially their is little to no weight in-front of the axle, as the accessory loop is behind the axle.

In any event the chassis that I got from TDK (Throttle Down Kustoms) is pure - strong and looks great. The intent for this build is a daily driver.... Stand by for a tube chassis on my TJ or this commando or possibly my CJ7.

thardy

Banned
I learned so much during this build - things I would do again and things I would change. Biggest change I would make is engine position. Had we moved the engine forward after electing to use the YJ Grill and Hood instead of the Commando Hood and Grill we could have made that work. I believe it would have given us more room in the engine bay. However, the position of the engine now is pretty sweet, essentially their is little to no weight in-front of the axle, as the accessory loop is behind the axle.

In any event the chassis that I got from TDK (Throttle Down Kustoms) is pure - strong and looks great. The intent for this build is a daily driver.... Stand by for a tube chassis on my TJ or this commando or possibly my CJ7.

I hear ya! Either way, bad ass build.

Top Bottom