Power Steering Whine

Sooner_Jeeper

Hey Everyone I have a 2008 JKUX with 35's and 2.5in lift. This is a recent problem, when I'm backing out of a parking spot or have to turn the wheel all the way, there is a whine coming from under the hood. I assume it's the power steering pump, what could it be? Is has 120k on the odometer, I've never touched the power steering pump.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Did you check to make sure you have enough fluid in the reservoir? If it's too low, you could be taking air into the system. Of course, with as many miles as you have on your Jeep, could be that the pump is just old and starting to fail.

TRLJNKY

Eddies on point with check fluids and the pump poss being worn. Quick heads up. Mine whined and I thought for sure it was the pump. Bought one and changed it and it still whined. Believe it or not it was my tensioner pulley. 10 mins and $10 solved my prob. Man I was upset at myself lol

Ddays

Hooked
Hey Everyone I have a 2008 JKUX with 35's and 2.5in lift. This is a recent problem, when I'm backing out of a parking spot or have to turn the wheel all the way, there is a whine coming from under the hood. I assume it's the power steering pump, what could it be? Is has 120k on the odometer, I've never touched the power steering pump.

When you say "Turn the wheel all the way" are you holding the wheel all the way against the steering stops as you're backing out? If you let the wheel back off a little does it stop?
If yes, that could just be the pump straining. Does it whine when you are turning normally? If that's the case, what Eddie said.

jeeeep

Hooked
as mentioned, turning and holding you're steering will cause the pump to whine I would check things in this order, belt tensioner, pump.
Spray a little WD-40 on the back of the idler pump just don't get it on the belt, if the whine goes away there's the problem

Last edited:
Top Bottom