Insulation under carpet?

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Forgive my ignorance, but On my 08 JKU there is what I'm assuming is sound or heat insulation applied in beads all over the floor pan under the carpet. It is painted so I assume it is factory installed. Is there any reason I shouldn't remove some of it that is in the way of my third row seat bracket?

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Forgive my ignorance, but On my 08 JKU there is what I'm assuming is sound or heat insulation applied in beads all over the floor pan under the carpet. It is painted so I assume it is factory installed. Is there any reason I shouldn't remove some of it that is in the way of my third row seat bracket?

Which 3rd row seat are you installing? I have seen people remove it to Bedliner the interior with no negative effects. As far as I know it helps with sound deadening and heat insulation. If it's in the cargo area, I wouldn't think it would have any negative effect to remove it.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Which 3rd row seat are you installing? I have seen people remove it to Bedliner the interior with no negative effects. As far as I know it helps with sound deadening and heat insulation. If it's in the cargo area, I wouldn't think it would have any negative effect to remove it.

I ended up getting a deal that was too good to pass up on a seat from a YJ. $30 for seat, brackets, and seat belts. So I am doing that as a temporary until I find a smoking deal on a JK seat. This one is roughly 6" narrower than the room I have but it will serve its purpose for now.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I ended up getting a deal that was too good to pass up on a seat from a YJ. $30 for seat, brackets, and seat belts. So I am doing that as a temporary until I find a smoking deal on a JK seat. This one is roughly 6" narrower than the room I have but it will serve its purpose for now.

Nice, that's definitely a good deal. As mentioned, I have seen that insulation caulking stuff removed entirely before to spray in Bedliner with no negative effects, so I imaging you'll be perfectly fine just removing some of it for the brackets.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
Friend, remove as little as the factory finish as you can. When they apply that material, the frame is bare and free of pesky plastic that melts under heat. Also, it is a clean environment. I've seen your garage, phew!! Any refinish will be second rate and not last as long as the factory application.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Friend, remove as little as the factory finish as you can. When they apply that material, the frame is bare and free of pesky plastic that melts under heat. Also, it is a clean environment. I've seen your garage, phew!! Any refinish will be second rate and not last as long as the factory application.

Being inside the cab, I'm not overly concerned with the durability of the new finish. All I really need to do is remove enough to give me a good even surface for the legs to mount to, and rattle can the bare spots. As far as my garage is concerned... I guess it is a far cry from a proper paint booth [emoji23]

Top Bottom