37" tire width... 12.5 or 13.5?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I tend to lean toward the narrower tire. Weighs less and seems to perform better for me across all scenarios

I've run 15.50 wide tires in the past and I would agree they are way too wide but I've personally found that 37x13.50's to be a great size and one that offers a better footprint on the trail. While they may weigh a bit more, most of that weight is due to their higher load range and significantly stronger sidewalls and really, the difference is negligible - maybe 3-4 lbs. more than their 12.50 siblings. I have always found 37x13.50's to perform better across all scenarios except for MPG. More footprint will give you more rolling resistance and I did see a slight decrease.

FallonJeeper

I'm also interested in running 37x12.5 Falken Wildpeake M/Ts on Raceline wheels with 4.5" backspacing. I'm guessing I'll be ok.

jesse3638

Hooked
Thread revival fuck yeah!

Well I'm in the market for tires and wanted to go with the 37x12.5 STT Pros as to limit rubbing. I'm currently running 35x12.5 KM2's on Raceline Monsters 17x9.5, 4.00"BS and have some minor rubbing on on my LCA at full droop and turn. I'm running Full Traction 3" LA lift. My problem is the 37x13.5 are about $80 cheaper per tire. That's a $400 savings. I'm looking for others running something similar to help in my decision. Any help is much appreciated.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

JAGS

Hooked

Well I'm in the market for tires and wanted to go with the 37x12.5 STT Pros as to limit rubbing. I'm currently running 35x12.5 KM2's on Raceline Monsters 17x9.5, 4.00"BS and have some minor rubbing on on my LCA at full droop and turn. I'm running Full Traction 3" LA lift. My problem is the 37x13.5 are about $80 cheaper per tire. That's a $400 savings. I'm looking for others running something similar to help in my decision. Any help is much appreciated.

Here's my opinion...

see you next Tuesday and we can talk about it then, but only if over a few glasses of Pinot Grigio. [emoji6]

dillard09

I'm not sure on your setup but I went from KM2 to the Cooper STT pros and man what a difference! They are huge compared to the KM2s. I get my tires at tire crawler. I think right now you can get 5 37x13.50 with free shipping for under 1700 to the door.
Not sure what discount tire can do.
You will love the Coopers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

desertrunner

Looking on DTD the 13.5 coopers are cheaper than the 12.5 that doesn't make sense to me.

Don't know if the E vs. D load range makes a difference in price or not

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Renzo1200

My Toyos 37x13.5x17 with 4.5 BS and 1.5 spacers will barely rub frame and CA’s. I’m also rubbing both inner fenders.

Now, I’m looking at remote resys but afraid They’ll get destroyed. Any ideas how to mount the resy and clear the tire?? Pic for reference.

IMG_4539.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Old thread... I know...

I’m running 37x13.50 and my tires want to grab most of the ruts in the road. Anyone know if the 12.50 will be a bit better?

Well you’re only talking a half inch on each side of the tire so I doubt it will make enough of a difference to justify based solely on the ruts in the road. Obviously overall track width will change but again, I doubt enough to justify it for just that reason alone.

RockinAZJK

Caught the Bug
Well you’re only talking a half inch on each side of the tire so I doubt it will make enough of a difference to justify based solely on the ruts in the road. Obviously overall track width will change but again, I doubt enough to justify it for just that reason alone.

That’s what I’m kind of thinking. I’ll be getting new tires in the next year or less so that’s when I’ll make the switch. Just hoping somebody will have ran both sizes and can tell if they handle any different. And what their difference is MPG wise as I’ve been traveling a lot more lately

That’s what I’m kind of thinking. I’ll be getting new tires in the next year or less so that’s when I’ll make the switch. Just hoping somebody will have ran both sizes and can tell if they handle any different. And what their difference is MPG wise as I’ve been traveling a lot more lately

I’d hit Eddie up. He recently went from a 13.50 to a 12.50 on their JL. I’m willing to bet that even though it’s only been a couple weeks he’ll have some data for you.

Ddays

Hooked
I’d hit Eddie up. He recently went from a 13.50 to a 12.50 on their JL. I’m willing to bet that even though it’s only been a couple weeks he’ll have some data for you.

But didn't he also have switch to Nittos because those were all that Mel had? Nittos are notorious for a radial pull so comparison might not be applicable...

Top Bottom