Ouray Colorado trails for Memorial Weekend

Since I'm up in SW Colorado for work and had to put up with winter conditions for the past 7 months (which was tough for a desert rat who is use to 70 degree winters), we decided to get out and start checking out the trails. Let me tell you... this ain't the desert anymore!
We spent the long weekend RV camping in Ouray and did a couple of days exploring the high country around Ridgway and Ouray, so here is a few pic's of the trip.
DSC_0064.jpg
One of many scenic waterfalls around every corner since the warmer weather is around and melting the snow pack
DSC_0076.jpg
Old mine site up Canyon Creek at the start of Yankee Boy Basin at about 11,000 feet elevation
DSC_0084.jpg
They had plowed some to the trail up into Yankee Boy Basin but not all the way, and it started as a sunny morning and by noon it was snowing on us!
DSC_0100.jpg
Imogene Pass road was still snowed in and closed, this is the self road under cut / over hang coming up Canyon Creek that the mining ore trucks still use
DSC_0129.jpg
Went on over to the East side of the 'Million Dollar Highway' and headed up Mineral Creek toward Poughkeepsie Gulch to see how far we could make it...
got about 3 miles in and to the 'narrow' shelf road to round the corner to find.....
DSC_0134.jpg
The road un-dozed yet and the winter rock falls still in place but after walking it found we could make it through with out backing out or trying a 15 point turn-a-round!!!
DSC_0136.jpg
This big one just had enough room to wedge the tires between it and the wall face!
DSC_0141.jpg
More great scenery, falls right down the road edge, this photo taken right out of the driver's seat looking up
DSC_0149.jpg
Old mine site on the trail, the day was getting short and headed back out before dark only about 4 miles in... another attempt in the near future! So more to come!

JeepJeep75

I absolutely love that area!! It looks like you were able to just get a taste of some of the trails too! So jealous!!

uberc4

Awesome pictures! I'll be making the same trip this summer to do some of the trails you went on. :thumb:

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Looks like you had a great time. We will be up there in 2 weeks for our annual Ouray 4th of July camping and off-roading trip. Can't wait.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
I've been on these trails many times IN THE SUMMER! That was cool (literally) going to Yankee Boy in the winter. Love the pics.:thumb::thumb:

Top Bottom