Anyone running the Cooper stt pro's ?

swampdog

Well at 75% wear your prob down around 4/32's tread life so you should be looking to replace them soonish anyway.

He is saying 75% remaining, or 25% wear. Regardless, I wouldn't be too concerned about those little scoops, they seemed gimmicky to me anyways.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
He is saying 75% remaining, or 25% wear. Regardless, I wouldn't be too concerned about those little scoops, they seemed gimmicky to me anyways.

Yup my mistake. That's what I get for trying to answer some questions before my coffee lol

Ddays

Hooked
Yup good point ^

Stupidly, I forgot to measure starting tread depth when I first mounted these up. I intended to measure tread wear at every oil change. Oh well...

So after 10k miles I still find these tires really quiet for such an aggressive tread pattern. I still haven't balanced them and the ride is still very good. At anything under 70 there is no vibration. At 75 you start to feel some but it really depends on the road. Over 75 and :eek:. This is both from the ride and the stopping distances required, which are freight train-like.

If you have never done so, do yourself a favor and get out on an interstate and do a panic stop (with no one around obviously!) and I guarantee you, you will scare the shit out of yourself how long the distance is. My following distances have increased because of this. Dynatyrac brake kit is on the horizon.
Edit - I'm referring to guys with 35" & up tires here

Also, Costco balances tires for $28 a set and an extra $5 for the spare. Just for the hell of it I'm going to have it done (the guy I asked just groaned when I pointed out the tires I wanted balanced) to see if it makes a difference. For $33 it can't hurt.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Yup good point ^

Stupidly, I forgot to measure starting tread depth when I first mounted these up. I intended to measure tread wear at every oil change. Oh well...

So after 10k miles I still find these tires really quiet for such an aggressive tread pattern. I still haven't balanced them and the ride is still very good. At anything under 70 there is no vibration. At 75 you start to feel some but it really depends on the road. Over 75 and :eek:. This is both from the ride and the stopping distances required, which are freight train-like.

If you have never done so, do yourself a favor and get out on an interstate and do a panic stop (with no one around obviously!) and I guarantee you, you will scare the shit out of yourself how long the distance is. My following distances have increased because of this. Dynatyrac brake kit is on the horizon.
Edit - I'm referring to guys with 35" & up tires here

Also, Costco balances tires for $28 a set and an extra $5 for the spare. Just for the hell of it I'm going to have it done (the guy I asked just groaned when I pointed out the tires I wanted balanced) to see if it makes a difference. For $33 it can't hurt.

For $38 it sounds like it's a static balance. I would highly suggest you look for a shop that has a road force balancer. WAAAYYYYY more accurate but a bit costly. It's honestly worth it tho

Ddays

Hooked
For $38 it sounds like it's a static balance. I would highly suggest you look for a shop that has a road force balancer. WAAAYYYYY more accurate but a bit costly. It's honestly worth it tho

Yeah, its not a road force but they do fill the tires with nitrogen baby! Gotta be worth a couple mpg's ;)

I looked a little for someone that does road force balancing over here but couldn't find anyone. I may try a truck mechanic & see if they'll do it. If I cant find anyone I'll go with the Costco balance. Cant hurt and I've spent $33 on dumber shit that that!

Ddays

Hooked
The tread blocks with the scoops and dimples are going to lose their right angle when they get worn down. In a sense the mud scoop is a bowl, but if you cut a bowl in half the bowl no longer holds anything, so the scoop effectively loses what it was designed to do, scoop.

Are you referring to these little 'scoops'? If so I really don't think these are doing a whole lot that wearing down would affect their performance much, if at all.

WIN_20160718_214123.jpg

Makes 'em look sexier! :brows:

WJCO

Meme King
The scoops and dimples that he's referring to are these. Again, I myself am not worried about it.

IMG_20160719_070840_892.jpg

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
In all fairness my mud grapplers have these same scoops. Almost 25k miles later and they are still there
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1468939079.098516.jpg .

SunDevils259

Yeah, when they get to the point that those scoops on the side lugs are worn down to nothing its time for new skids anyways...

Swampdog, yes 75% remaining, but let's say 50% to avoid confusion. I agree with you I think they are a gimmick. Was just curious what everyone thought, because I do like them and trying to decided between them and Toyo MT's.

Added some descriptions on WJCO's picture for each of the green areas on the attachment below. It's not the scallops I'm talking about, all MT's seem to have those on the outsides of alternating blocks (lugs). It's mainly the Mud Scoops on the inside of some of the blocks, don't think the Dimples will do much. Below is also a description on Cooper's website of how the Mud Scoops work.

"The asymmetrical scallops on alternating lugs direct mud into the mud scoops to allow the tire to pull through muddy terrains with ease."

So, once the Mud Scoop is no longer a scoop because of the scoop is half gone, it's no longer effective. Those tread blocks no longer have a biting right angle and instead have half a scoop.

View attachment 213690

Last edited:
Top Bottom