On board Air challenge! (Just for fun)

Dubaibentzen

Who's in for a fun challenge?

The challenge is to see the times it takes to air down all 4 tires - ready for Offroad.
And also to inflate all 4 tires again - ready for Street use.

Off course it won't be very scientific. Yes people can cheat and and yes people can post fake times - I know. And then there's all the different tire sizes. But it's just a fun challenge and might be useful info for those about to chose an on board air system.

So let's see your results:
- Air down time
- Air up time
- Tire size
- System used

Rules of the game.
Any preparation is legal. Any tyre deflation/inflation device is legal. Any brand is legal. All hoses can be set up ready to go and what else you need to start airing up and down. Air down time starts with deflation of the first tire and finishes when the valve is closed on tire no 4. Air up time is from Offroad pressure on all 4 tires, ready to inflate to street pressure on tire 1 and finishes when tire 4 is full again. Packing everything away afterwards is not included in the time.

If you choose to accept this mission, this message will self destruct in 10 seconds...

.... :)
Let's go!!!

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
I'm down. But probably can't do it for a week. I have to test my new compressor anyway with my new tires. Great thread. I think people will have fun doing this. Also, if they don't cheat, it will provide useful info for people who want to know what compressors and tire sizes work together to achieve certain results.

Evil

What about setting a specific PSI to air down to? Some guys run 37's at 15LBS and some run 35's at 20LBS. Just a thought. Same with airing up, make it like 30LBS????

Dubaibentzen

What about setting a specific PSI to air down to? Some guys run 37's at 15LBS and some run 35's at 20LBS. Just a thought. Same with airing up, make it like 30LBS????

Also a good idea, but like I said it won't be very scientific.

It's just to have an idea of how much time you spend airing down and up. Then those with same tire size or psi preference can still compare individually. I think people should air up and down to what they are actually using on trail and street.

I'll start with my timings and post them today. This is gonna be fun!

Dubaibentzen

Done! Phew... Nice little morning exercise-lol-

- Air down time: 2 min 28 sec. (From 30 psi to 10 psi)
- Air up time: 2 min 25 sec. (From 10 psi to 30 psi)
- Tire size: 37x12.5x17
- System used: Powertank PT10 CO2, Quick disconnects, Monsterchuck inflation handle, Monster Valves.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1465274975.834721.jpg
This is what I used. I prepared all the hoses before airing up.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1465275027.125418.jpg
Street PSI.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1465275054.495372.jpg
Offroad PSI.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1465275077.331099.jpg
Monster Valves version 2.

So let's see the results from all over Wayalife.

I could have gained a few extra seconds had I removed the valve caps before starting. Vasted a few precious seconds fiddling with those. Noted to next time :)

WJCO

Meme King
Challenge Accepted, but you smoked me in time. I run my road pressure at 30 and my trail pressure at 20.

My new method (new this week) still far exceeds my previous method of loosening each valve stem with a core removal tool and then periodically checking pressures with a manual gauge. And previously, using a cheapy Slime compressor (which took me about 30 minutes to air up all 4).

Current method: Today's results for all 4. Note that I went about as fast as I would on the trail, casually. I did not remove valve caps ahead of time, I removed them as I went to each tire:

- Air down time: 10:55
- Air up time: 7:39
- Tire size: 295/70R17
- System used: Ebay Brass deflators. Twin ARB compressor with gauge for inflating.

DSC03701.JPG

Deflators:

DSC03699.JPG

Inflator:

DSC03697.JPG

DSC03702.JPG

More than for the competition, I did this to provide an accurate account of time it will take me on the trail for air up/air down. And it also gave me a chance to become familiar with my new compressor prior to going out on the trail. Cool thread idea! :thumb:

Top Bottom