CB radio

spencerd45

Hello everyone,

I picked up an old CB radio for free and was wondering if it worked. I hooked everything up and it seems to be getting power and working However, I can't hear anyone else speaking on any channels. Tried doing a mic check but couldn't get a response.

Bad CB or just nobody on the air?

Located in south Florida

Dale72

Hooked
Could be the speaker is bad get an external speaker if that don't work you may need to find a cb shop

spencerd45

Have been doing a little research and found that I will need a swr meter to truly tune the antenna. Does anyone have one or know where to get one?

TennJK

Have been doing a little research and found that I will need a swr meter to truly tune the antenna. Does anyone have one or know where to get one?

I've had a hard time finding one in stores around me. Radio shack didn't have any. I'm about to order one off of amazon soon.

swampdog

I've had a hard time finding one in stores around me. Radio shack didn't have any. I'm about to order one off of amazon soon.

I went to a local truck stop with a CB shop and had it tuned for 10 bucks. May be worth a call

Ginz

I think my CB just has crappy range, but regardless I've noticed in SoFla, at least down here in Dade, nobody uses CB. quite possible that nobody was on.

Ginz

Nice. Where did you go? My handheld has an adaptor for an external antenna, thinking about adding one.

spencerd45

Went to a place called Lafayette electronics in plantation Florida. Family run business and he knows everything under the sun about CB radios. Planning on getting a firestik and new cables from him in the future

Brute

Hooked

got mine from radio shack, but I'm sure you can find one on line...don't use your cb until you get your antenna tuned...

Uncle Jimmy

Take a ride up too wild wood... And at the 75 chrome shop they have a CB shop.... And IMO he's the best tech on the east coast. Have him do a bench check for you and then go from there.

Top Bottom