Quick disconnect for firestik

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
My experience (with the Quick Disconnect that is) has been pretty bad. I had read that they come apart after a while. My situation was that I could not get a good ground out of the thing, and such, my SWR was very high. I also understood that the quick disconnect will accumulate water and then eventually rust. The old ones used to be really good, but the new ones are not made as well (read Chinese) and failed after a short while.

I simply unscrew my Firestik II from the mount when I want to park it inside. It is easy and I get a much better transmission with a SWR of almost 1.1!!

As for the wife, super happy with her.

If your swr is high then you obviously haven't tuned it correctly. Ive been running quick disconnects for years with no issues at all. As long as you tune your setup correctly and with the disconnect in place, there should be no issues at all.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
If your swr is high then you obviously haven't tuned it correctly. Ive been running quick disconnects for years with no issues at all. As long as you tune your setup correctly and with the disconnect in place, there should be no issues at all.

Weird, I think maybe a lesson is in order. Please review this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standing_wave_ratio

Now with an SWR or VSWR of 1.1, you can barely get better than that. With the quick disconnect, I was, at best, able to get 2.3 to 2.5 with an SWR meter. And yes, this is with proper tuning techniques, whereby I would test the SWR at Channel 1, 20 and 40. Much like this procedure: http://www.rightchannelradios.com/blogs/installation-guides/18330687-cb-antenna-tuning-instructions

So please please explain to me again about proper tuning? Maybe I am doing it wrong?

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I use a quick disconnect and am right around 1.1 up the chain of channels. So far, I haven't had any issues with it and I didn't have issues with one my other Jeep either. That said, I can't give any long-term reviews because I only had it on my other Jeep for a little over a year and only on this Jeep for a few months.

thardy

Banned
I assumed they were but im 6'5" and the new house'sdoor is just above my head by id guess 6". Lame..

You would think most garage openings are all the same, but nope. Standard single opening is 8' W by 7' H and a double is 16' W by 7' H. But then on some of the pricier homes, I've seen doubles at 18' W and 8' H.

That's what I do...I have a small loop wrapped on the end of a Firestick, & I clip it with a bungee cord w/carabiners on both ends so I can get into my garage...

Just install a spring and bend antenna down whenever needed
View attachment 208280
I have one of these but since its my daily, I dont wanna have to mess with it multiple times a day. I may just take the antenna off and leave it off till i go wheeling

Jegar

I have one of these but since its my daily, I dont wanna have to mess with it multiple times a day. I may just take the antenna off and leave it off till i go wheeling

That's what I do -- I don't like watching the movement at highway speeds! I have the spring, as well as the disconnect, cowl-mounted with a thick L reinforcement bracket inside. I have no issues with tuning or grounding -- I assume the bracket provides a much better mounting surface than just the regular mounting bracket. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1466053463.413827.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1466053480.765087.jpg

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Weird, I think maybe a lesson is in order. Please review this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standing_wave_ratio

Now with an SWR or VSWR of 1.1, you can barely get better than that. With the quick disconnect, I was, at best, able to get 2.3 to 2.5 with an SWR meter. And yes, this is with proper tuning techniques, whereby I would test the SWR at Channel 1, 20 and 40. Much like this procedure: http://www.rightchannelradios.com/blogs/installation-guides/18330687-cb-antenna-tuning-instructions

So please please explain to me again about proper tuning? Maybe I am doing it wrong?

I get 1.2 with a quick disconnect. FYI, so it can be done.

bthomas

Yup. I've had a Firestik quick disconnect for about 4 years now, no problems with it at all. I do keep a thin coat of dielectric grease on the post, not sure if it does anything but make me feel warm and fuzzy though. I'm in the Phoenix area, so no rust to speak of. And my SWR is also at 1.2 on 1 & 40, and only slightly higher in the middle if I remember right.

Top Bottom