Tires for Tennessee

whytiptoe

So I am looking for some new tires for my DD. I live in Nashville and go to Windrock, need to check out the other places. So I need recommendations, I was looking at the maxxis trepador bias ply, as I WANT THE SIDEWALL. However not sure about this being my car is my DD. Anyone have any good recommendations for a really solid tire. Looking for something in the 35s

thardy

Banned
So I am looking for some new tires for my DD. I live in Nashville and go to Windrock, need to check out the other places. So I need recommendations, I was looking at the maxxis trepador bias ply, as I WANT THE SIDEWALL. However not sure about this being my car is my DD. Anyone have any good recommendations for a really solid tire. Looking for something in the 35s

For a DD, you will HATE the Bias Treps. I would look at the Cooper STT Pros, Nitto Trail Grapplers, Toyo Open Country MT, or if you wanted to go with Maxxis, the Trepador Radials.

whytiptoe

For a DD, you will HATE the Bias Treps. I would look at the Cooper STT Pros, Nitto Trail Grapplers, Toyo Open Country MT, or if you wanted to go with Maxxis, the Trepador Radials.

I have not researched the coopers yet, the nittos look ok, and I'll research the Toyo as well. I really only what the bias because of bad ass sidewall!!!!

Napalm

I agree with everything thardy said, and would also like add a recommendation of the BFG KO2 AT. It is an AT tire so you get good on road manners, but there is an aggressive sidewall and they perform well off road.

whytiptoe

So what about the Nitto mud grappler. I read somewhere they are a little to tough for the light wranglers and give a horrible ride?

Sullivan

I had 35" Goodyear MTR's and they were very loud and hard to balance. I now have 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers and couldn't be happier. I don't routinely drive it daily but my wife will take it for a few weeks and she has no complaints. I also used these at Windrock and they performed great. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1465870825.667463.jpg

Last edited:

Eezybreezy08

I have not researched the coopers yet, the nittos look ok, and I'll research the Toyo as well. I really only what the bias because of bad ass sidewall!!!!

I ran bias ss tsl and boggers for a dd when I was young without a family. Maybe it gets hotter in Memphis than Nashville, and the reason why I'm saying that, is because I was having to buy a new set of tires every year from street wear. Yes they were awesome in the mud, but they sucked on the road. Now I know you are thinking that's because they are super swampers, but they were still bias. So now I run a set of nittos on one jeep and gy mtr w/k on the other, and they've lasted a lot longer

swampdog

So what's people's opinion on goodyear wrangler MT/R?

It seems like most of the dudes from RockYour4x4 who spend a ton of time at windrock run the MT/R, but I have never been a big fan of the way they look. Also, I have read few reviews of them here that were pretty poor. I'd pass for the Toyo MT, Nitto TG, or Cooper STT Pro.

TennJK

I live in Tennessee and I run the BFGoodrich KO2's and they are great. Not a mud tire. But handle great on and off road. I do notice a difference in the performance off road compared to other MT's. I'm going to go a different route next set probably for that reason. I'm thinking the STT Pro's or the Toyo MT, depending on which is quieter on the road. And the Goodyear MTR's apparently have weak and thin sidewalls, but thats just what I read.

holliewood61

Swampers do seem to work best around here. I do most pf my wheelin in wv, and at at least 75% of the rigs i see on the trail are running either the sx, tsl, or irok. I personally run irok's. A thought would be to run what you have on the street and get a set of agressive tires and some plain jane steel wheels to swap out for when you go off road. Its kind of a pain in the ass to swap out to go wheelin, but asphalt eats up rough treads.

Gravedigger11

So what about the Nitto mud grappler. I read somewhere they are a little to tough for the light wranglers and give a horrible ride?

There is a few guys I know who run the nitto TRAIL graps and love them. They wear well and do well Offroad and on the street. Mud graps are loud. My boss had them on his truck and I could hear him coming down the street

whytiptoe

There is a few guys I know who run the nitto TRAIL graps and love them. They wear well and do well Offroad and on the street. Mud graps are loud. My boss had them on his truck and I could hear him coming down the street

Well that sounds great then, always wanted to be announced before I showed up, kinda like royalty. Lol.

Top Bottom