1942 willys project

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Did you install a new distributor or did you just replace the rotor? It's really important that you have it set correctly and it could be that your timing is a bit off.

DannyD

Did you install a new distributor or did you just replace the rotor? It's really important that you have it set correctly and it could be that your timing is a bit off.

Thanks for the quick response Eddie!! I just replaced the rotor that is definitely a possibility what would I need to correct the timing? Like I said before I have no knowledge here so this advice is very appreciated

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well, before we go there. Is it safe to assume you are manually adjusting your choke when starting up the motor?

DannyD

Today I went back and really went over the carb and fuel pump to see if they I could find any issues and it didn't take long to see it is getting NO gas. The bowl is completely dry I took the fuel pump apart and cleaned it but still no gas. I also disconnected all gas lines and blew them out to make sure they weren't clogged. So to my novice eyes this seems like a bad fuel pump.

DannyD

Oh yeah also found this gem while literally diging behind the shed. It's a hard top not sure if its original from the war but the original paint color looks like it was ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1469288518.137601.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1469288550.503799.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1469288597.870375.jpg

DannyD

Iv got some pretty good news..... The jeep is finally running!! I put In a new fuel pump and she's running like a top. Pictures to come hopefully tonight. Now my only problem is my driving ability haha iv driven a few standard jeeps before but wow the 3 speed takes a lot of gas to get going!! I stalled it twice just getting it out of the shed. I have to admit looking back I should have probably started with the fuel pump but hell I don't really care I had a blast working on it and learned a ton. Again I will take pics as soon as I can for you guys and thanks for the input so far

Frydaddy

Its looking great, and original 6 volt too! I started my CJ2A in much worse shape, and frankly... its probably still worse than what you've got now. Keep her lubed and she'll last forever.

Oh, and 55 MPH in top gear, good luck! I hit 52 once, downhill and the engine screaming. It was scary for the both of us!

Edit: Looking back, the hard top ts likely not military. I dont think the military ever did hard tops on the MB or GPW. Hard tops are quite eclectic as there were tons of companies selling different designs for the CJ-2As.

DannyD

Its looking great, and original 6 volt too! I started my CJ2A in much worse shape, and frankly... its probably still worse than what you've got now. Keep her lubed and she'll last forever.

Oh, and 55 MPH in top gear, good luck! I hit 52 once, downhill and the engine screaming. It was scary for the both of us!

Edit: Looking back, the hard top ts likely not military. I dont think the military ever did hard tops on the MB or GPW. Hard tops are quite eclectic as there were tons of companies selling different designs for the CJ-2As.

Thanks!! I may end up changing to 12v eventually the 6 is pretty slow haha. I agree about the hard top but either way I look forward to seeing what it looks like and 55 sounds scary I haven't even got it out of 1st yet!!

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Sweet project you got there! I'm a little jelly and hope to have one of my own someday. Keep up the good work!

DannyD

Sweet project you got there! I'm a little jelly and hope to have one of my own someday. Keep up the good work!

This whole write up was inspired by you on the day I joined thanks for the kind words!! These old things are just plain cool. I look forward to the day when I'm reading through your willys build thread[emoji6] you can learn from all my mistakes haha

sipafz

Caught the Bug
This whole write up was inspired by you on the day I joined thanks for the kind words!! These old things are just plain cool. I look forward to the day when I'm reading through your willys build thread[emoji6] you can learn from all my mistakes haha

Cheers Brother! [emoji482]

Top Bottom