1942 willys project

DannyD

Today I cleaned out the back of the jeep to see if there was anything cool in there and I was amazed at the amount of things in that little jeep!! ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1471035739.250313.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1471035754.497448.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1471035775.750665.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1471035806.316670.jpg
That green thing is a parachute and I also found a full set of tire chains. Other than that there wasn't really anything too spectacular. Also because I can't sit still when I'm around the damn thing I dug out the hardtop just to see what it would look like. It's crazy heavy and in pretty rough shape but it still looked pretty cool!! ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1471035999.937129.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1471036018.682598.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1471036027.847313.jpg
Oh yeah also found the shovel in the back so I had to throw that on lol

DannyD

So Iv been driving the willys around for a few weeks and it's been a blast but recently I was away from it for about a week and just started it for the first time after that and I'm having trouble getting it to run in first gear. It idols fine but as soon as soon as I put any strain on the motor it dies. I'm totally lost because it will run in reverse just fine but I can't drive in first anyone have any insight? It's been driving me nuts.

DannyD

I am pretty limited in space so I can't really get it going enough to get too far out of 1st I have gone in second just fine but I really don't have the room to try haha for reference I have about an acre of open land before I end up in the water or am running through trees and no access to any roads (until ice) if I start in second I have the same issue it just dies with any strain if I really work the clutch I can keep it running but somethings not right.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
I was meaning can you start in 2nd or 3rd as that would isolate it too just first gear. Does it move forward at all or are you just slipping the clutch? If not it's either something loose in the transmission, transfer, axle or brakes that's jamming when rotated forward.

DannyD

Thanks for your help 2nd gunman I really appreciate it. As for starting it in 2nd or 3rd it does the same thing. It doesn't seem like a transmission issue as I jacked it up and it ran fine in gear. If I slip the clutch I can drive it but it runs like crap and as soon as it's our it stalls

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
That's really strange. I'd be inclined to say fuel or spark based on that and how long it's been sitting but it doesn't make sense that it drives fine in reverse.

DannyD

This is just me thinking but maybe it has something to do with the gearing being lower in reverse so it's not as much strain on the motor? Because when I do run it in reverse I do notice it is a bit rough. I'm now thinking it could be a carb thing, either too much air or gas because if I choke it a bit it runs better I'm confused as hell lol. Unfortunately I had to leave the jeep and may not get back to it for awhile[emoji17] again THANK YOU for you input it has been very helpful[emoji106]🏻

2Cross

Caught the Bug
This is just me thinking but maybe it has something to do with the gearing being lower in reverse so it's not as much strain on the motor? Because when I do run it in reverse I do notice it is a bit rough. I'm now thinking it could be a carb thing, either too much air or gas because if I choke it a bit it runs better I'm confused as hell lol. Unfortunately I had to leave the jeep and may not get back to it for awhile[emoji17] again THANK YOU for you input it has been very helpful[emoji106]🏻

Sounds like a carb or fuel issue to me. I've owned my 49 CJ3a for 25 years and it's either the fuel or spark.
Might have plugged the fuel filter or need a new fuel pump. I'd recommend adding electronic ignition as that will help a TON.
There was an article in the most recent JP magazine about how to install the flamethrower ignition for reference.

DannyD

Sounds like a carb or fuel issue to me. I've owned my 49 CJ3a for 25 years and it's either the fuel or spark.
Might have plugged the fuel filter or need a new fuel pump. I'd recommend adding electronic ignition as that will help a TON.
There was an article in the most recent JP magazine about how to install the flamethrower ignition for reference.

Thanks I just replaced the fuel pump so that's good but a plugged filter never occurred to me a electronic ignition is definitely on the list. Thanks again now I can't wait to get back to work on it!!

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Thanks I just replaced the fuel pump so that's good but a plugged filter never occurred to me a electronic ignition is definitely on the list. Thanks again now I can't wait to get back to work on it!!

They are fun but frustrating at times. I've had new fuel pumps go bad on me so check to make sure it is working. Good luck ! ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1472436358.517768.jpg
This is mine when I bought it 25 years ago

2Cross

Caught the Bug
The ignition article was pages 84-88 in November 2016 JP magazine. They put a Pertronix ignition in theirs. I put one on my CJ7 a few months back and it is soooo much better now.

DannyD

They are fun but frustrating at times. I've had new fuel pumps go bad on me so check to make sure it is working. Good luck ! View attachment 220240
This is mine when I bought it 25 years ago

Awsome jeep!! I long for the day when I can get it on the road and cruise in 3rd gear even though it's probably a couple years away haha I just learned that I will be away all winter so it will be landlocked for at least another year but that's life I guess. I still think about it all the time.

Top Bottom