Tow rigs

bsimon187

How is the sag under load with the coils?

Not much if any. If you look at the pic I posted the truck is sitting pretty level still. Hey are designed for the weight, but I guess over time they will sit a bit lower. Only have 15k on the truck.

FastZach

Not much if any. If you look at the pic I posted the truck is sitting pretty level still. Hey are designed for the weight, but I guess over time they will sit a bit lower. Only have 15k on the truck.

How about when you're towing or have something heavy in the back, more sag than a truck with leafs? I think the coils are a great idea

bsimon187

How about when you're towing or have something heavy in the back, more sag than a truck with leafs? I think the coils are a great idea

I don't think there is more sag, it may even be less sag. I have had the back pretty loaded with no sagging at all. While towing or just driving with nothing in the back, you can't tell a difference. A lot of my friends drive 2500 or 3500's with the leafs and love the way my truck tows vs. theirs because of the coils.

bekel

this is the set up I use might be alittle overloaded in this pic but still made it the 200+ miles to job site pull rig.jpg

3TV

I use an enclosed trailer for towing mine, when it isn't towing other toys.

Prospector%20September%205%202016_zpswtuzbziq.jpg

Better picture of trailer.

33671947635_87dbab7c10_b.jpg

Last edited:

Tumbleweed

Here's mine. I have had 2 ATVs plus my 2 door JK in it. Not fun trying to cram them all in. I bought a deckover flatbed for the next time!
Dually%20amp%20Camper.jpg

IMG_3542.jpg

Loaded with Jeep in the front or the back, didn't make much difference to the tongue weight.
IMG_3486.jpg

Tumbleweed

Thanks.
I only wish that the enclosed trailer was another foot taller. It seems like trailers are just never big enough. Although I did just trade in a 40' 5th wheel race trailer! But I couldn't use it w/ my camper.

metalic

Mounted up a new set of wheels and tires on the tow rig this evening

Attachments

• 20170406_181503.jpg
    20170406_181503.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 310

T_rav

Half ton for life. I use a wore out 97 f-150 with 184k on the clock and a 18ft 3.5 ton big tex. I use weight distribution bars and keep the trailer brakes adjusted up. No problems tuggin it around the mountains of wv.

3/4 and one ton trucks are overkill anymore a new f-150 with the ecoboost 6 cyl can tow around 12k which is plenty to tote a jeep around. Doesn't need def, doesn't need fuel filters every other oil change, hell the oil change wont run you 100 bucks like a diesel. Gas is cheaper than diesel fuel, and a half ton is more comfortable to drive on a daily basis than a 3/4 or one ton.

Im not sayin to buy a janky ol half ton like i have, i run what i can afford. Im just saying dont overlook a half ton if youre in the market for a tow pig.

Sounds like a good way to get a ticket for being over grossed. If you're hauling frequently better get a truck that's legal for the load you're towing and also a hitch to match.

holliewood61

Yeah, we dont worry about tickets. My truck is rated at 7500 lbs, and i use a weight distributing hitch so there isnt really anything unsafe about it. The trailer has brakes and i have a brake controller in the truck. My point was that newer half tons are cheaper to buy, cheaper to maintain, more comfortable, and are plenty capable of towing a jeep to the trails. If one was looking to tow every day a 3/4 or one ton diesel would be the way to go, but for occasional towing a 1/2 ton is easier to live with on a daily basis.

Sent from my LGLS991 using WAYALIFE mobile app

p38

Caught the Bug
I just did the EJS at Moab, towed my 53 M38A1 on an 18' Featherlite open flatbed with my 2016 F250 6.7. Stock tune, only mod is a 50 gal fuel tank. That sure makes a difference - not having to stop for fuel so often. I replaced the stock trailer tires with a size bigger, once we hit NV I ran 70-80 mph with no problems. Stayed in a hotel, but having gear/spares/supplies/etc stored loose in the bed or shuffling in and out of the back seat was a pain. I'm looking at towing with a toy box/toy hauler to have a more organized staging area as well as a spot to get out of the wind/cold for cocktails and cigars. Anyone have any experience with that kind of a setup?

Bootlover101

I just did the EJS at Moab, towed my 53 M38A1 on an 18' Featherlite open flatbed with my 2016 F250 6.7. Stock tune, only mod is a 50 gal fuel tank. That sure makes a difference - not having to stop for fuel so often. I replaced the stock trailer tires with a size bigger, once we hit NV I ran 70-80 mph with no problems. Stayed in a hotel, but having gear/spares/supplies/etc stored loose in the bed or shuffling in and out of the back seat was a pain. I'm looking at towing with a toy box/toy hauler to have a more organized staging area as well as a spot to get out of the wind/cold for cocktails and cigars. Anyone have any experience with that kind of a setup?

IMG_5724.jpg IMG_5731.jpg IMG_5971.jpg

Here's my tow rig

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom