What would you do with $5000?

Pursesnatcher

I'm looking at bone stock JK's, with plans to modify. I've been looking at 2014+ Sport S models.

If you had budgeted $5000 to put into a stock Jeep, what would you do to make the most of your money? I'd like to do the typical wheels, tires, lift and the EVO front/rear fasica bumper for sure.

I'm curious to see how some of you would go in and price out a 35in setup. Maybe there are some things I haven't thought of or considered or some things you would have done differently when you first purchased your Jeep! This Jeep will be my DD with hopes of being a weekend trail runner! So, I've been pretty set on finding some M/T - A/T hybrids like the Toyo RT.

Right now here is what I have:
Toyo RT 35x12.5x18
Method Race NV 18x9 -12
3in lift (still looking at brands)
Bilstein 5100
EVO 1/4 front
EVO rear bumper
Superchips FlashCal
-maybe a re-gear?

-C

Last edited:

chipper

Looks good, except I'd go with a 17" wheels. Skip the rims and use some spydertrac spacers and stock rims and put the extra money into a better lift.

dillard09

Looks good, except I'd go with a 17" wheels. Skip the rims and use some spydertrac spacers and stock rims and put the extra money into a better lift.

I agree with chipper. Either go 17s or just skip them and put that money in a better place

madstiles

I was going to say the same I have 18s and no upside except more expensive tires..

madstiles

Flash pak instead of flash cal
C gussets and better ball joints (dealing with that now myself)
If automatic definitely regear
Locker in the rear

Clutch

Caught the Bug
Echo the other responses and 2" lift and cut fenders instead of 3" lift, so you don't have to worry about driveshaft issues. Then a winch, recovery straps, and a cb. Done!

Pursesnatcher

I agree with chipper. Either go 17s or just skip them and put that money in a better place

Hm, didn't think about that! I'll definitely consider

Flash pak instead of flash cal
C gussets and better ball joints (dealing with that now myself)
If automatic definitely regear
Locker in the rear

I've read about the C Gusset situation, I'll have to do a little more research on cost for that.

Also, how long do you think the driveshaft would last for a 3in lift?

-C

madstiles

Hm, didn't think about that! I'll definitely consider

I've read about the C Gusset situation, I'll have to do a little more research on cost for that.

Also, how long do you think the driveshaft would last for a 3in lift?

-C

Gussets are cheap and drive shafts idk I haven't had an issue with stock but I'm at 2.5 on 35s someone else I'm sure has experience with that I'd like to know also I've been considering 3.5

lonewolf

35's and upto 17" wheels (stock wheels are really ugly)
Cheap RC 2.5" lift with shocks and springs (save money for a better lift later, if necessary)
Rock sliders
Front steel bumper
Winch and various recovery gear (shackles, a couple snatch blocks, extra line, rear recovery point, etc)
Tire deflating valves
Air compressor to air up
Quick sway-bar disconnects
Procal

All of the above should run you about $5K or slightly more. This is the minimum I'd go with if I was going to off road it. If you're just going to drive it to the mall, then you only need the tires and a bit of lift to look "cool".

PS. If you can stretch your budget some or it's purely a mall crawler, then I would highly suggest proper HID headlights (with a projector housing).

Last edited:
EVO enforcer 3"
Rancho 9000s
EVO bumper and rear facia
1350 front drive shaft (rear too if 2 door)
Warn Zenon

Like others have said stay away from the 18s they just make everything more expensive. You can do a lot with that 5k. You will also really want a regear you don't have to foot but it will make a world of difference. Take your time and make it your own.

dillard09

Another thing to do first is get the Jeep and get out and have some fun in it. You might change your mind on what you want after you play with it.

Pursesnatcher

EVO enforcer 3"
Rancho 9000s
EVO bumper and rear facia
1350 front drive shaft (rear too if 2 door)
Warn Zenon

Like others have said stay away from the 18s they just make everything more expensive. You can do a lot with that 5k. You will also really want a regear you don't have to foot but it will make a world of difference. Take your time and make it your own.

Great suggestion, I've read good things about the Tom Woods drive shafts. I'll do some more research.

Another thing to do first is get the Jeep and get out and have some fun in it. You might change your mind on what you want after you play with it.

I definitely won't be dropping this much immediately. I'd really like to see stock capabilities, but I've ridden in some buddies setups (stock and lifted) but I definitely plan to make a good eval before I drop any cash.

I've just been looking around at dealerships that have upgraded Jeeps they're trying to sell and I'm so much more attracted to the idea of doing the build on my own. Not only because I'm inspired by the builds I see on WOL but also because it sounds like more fun... I swear, I drove a lifted Rubicon today which was practically brand new and it drove TERRIBLY. I could tell they had used a cheap lift, so I'd rather buy a $28-32k stock Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S and build. With that said, in a way, I do want to buy this thing and have it the way I want. And, in the long run, save my self some money.

Heres the link to the Rubicon, incase you're interested: http://www.chryslerdodgejeepramoffr...-Wrangler+Unlimited-Rubicon-1C4BJWFG8FL537980

-C

Last edited:

dillard09

Yeah those jeeps they sell at the dealerships that are lifted and such are cheap lift with bling for wheels. Not much for the offroad. Building it yourself is a lot more fun.
So what do you envision to be your end jeep? 35s, 37s, lockers, etc. What kind if wheeling do you plan to do?

Pursesnatcher

Yeah those jeeps they sell at the dealerships that are lifted and such are cheap lift with bling for wheels. Not much for the offroad. Building it yourself is a lot more fun.
So what do you envision to be your end jeep? 35s, 37s, lockers, etc. What kind if wheeling do you plan to do?

Currently, I'm looking to run 35's. But, I read a lot on here about how people wish they would have done 37's. So, when the time comes I'll decide how to pull the trigger.

This Jeep will be my daily, so I'll be commuting in it for the most part. On the weekends I'd like to graduate into some trail riding, we also have a group that goes out to land to shoot trap and skeet so I'd take it there too. We usually take a RZR out to the spot, but we've taken Jeeps before. So, no climbing...yet. And, down the road if I got serious enough i'd consider PR axels, lockers ect. For now, I'd just like to have something to get me off the ground ;)

RUBINOT

Caught the Bug
Take my wife on her dream vacation..........then she'll be so happy with me, the skies the limit on parts :)

DKjeep

5k will get you a decent head start but its only scratching the surface. If I added up what I have spent on mine in the last 6 months I would probably cry. I am close to being into it as much as the initial cost of the vehicle. BUT, Rome wasnt built in a day and you gotta start somewhere. Once you start though its a never ending path. I see stock jeeps driving around and sometimes im jealous.

Last edited:
Top Bottom