What is the minimum under armor I should have

RUBEERCON

I have diff covers, high tuck hp-2 flowmaster and smittybuilt trans/oil skid. I wheel on river trails that roll big rocks under the belly and so far I have avoided damage.

The smittybuilt skid is super heavy, bolts up well with a few minor mods (washers/ bracket adjust )and is only 200 bucks. It may be the cheapest armor and possibly stronger than others due to the thickness, the con is that it weighs a ton! Anyone running it?

Desert Crawler

So does anyone do anything to beef up their frame side lower control arm mounts? I've began going over big enough obstacles that mine are starting to take a beating.

jknikos

Sure wish I had gotten some sooner... at least for my 3.8L manual.
View attachment 219545

Lucky, at least you don't have to worry about the oil pan anymore!
I'll be putting one in this week, along with a new oil pan since the EVO skid wont fit over mine it's pancaked so bad.

I hit the rear control arm bracket too, but it still functions fine for now... might have to look into control arm skids too.

I bet you add 1 less quart of oil now!!! :D

Aztecdiver

Sure wish I had gotten some sooner... at least for my 3.8L manual.
View attachment 219545

Lucky, at least you don't have to worry about the oil pan anymore!
I'll be putting one in this week, along with a new oil pan since the EVO skid wont fit over mine it's pancaked so bad.

I hit the rear control arm bracket too, but it still functions fine for now... might have to look into control arm skids too.

Ouch
.....looks like you lucked out and didnt puncture it. You couldve blown the motor. Is it fixed now?

Stotch

Caught the Bug
I bet you add 1 less quart of oil now!!! :D

It reads about a half a quart higher now :)

Ouch
.....looks like you lucked out and didnt puncture it. You couldve blown the motor. Is it fixed now?

I know. I checked it every time I got out for weeks. About to put in the new one (below).

Edit: This is what my lower control arm bracket looks like now after hitting it without a skid:
lca.jpg

Attachments

• 1472213569392.jpg
    1472213569392.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:

RMC2

Caught the Bug
I have a 13 auto. I added the evo oil and tranny skids. When I saw how exposed the tranny cooler line was i didnt hesitate ordering the skids.

I beat up about everything underneath at Windrock, except for the oil and tranny skids. However, I would have been nervous as all getout with all of the rocks i bounced off of at windrock without them.

I may need a new front frame side lower control arm mount after a hard hit. I cant get it all straightened. And might get a new tranny cross member because it is tweaked too.

Randy Tadevich

I was being cheap and never got one on my 14. Wanted to spend on other things. But this weekend had my passenger front tire up on a rock, the rock rolled and i ended up on my oil pan. It was dented and nearly punched through. Long story short, my girlfriend said she will go halves with me to get it covered. The fear of dumping the oil and having to be towed from the middle of no where was a realization for her. haha. Win win I guess for being cheap.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
Some things scare me offroad, and breakage due to poor decisions made by me is high on my list. I know to try and put my tires on the bigger rocks, but it doesnt always work out that way. I dont trailer my jeep, so I try to make smart decisions.

Peace of mind underneath my jeep can lead to bigger rocks though. :thumb:

Ok, worry me, not scare me.

Last edited:

Randy Tadevich

Damn got lucky. Any pics of how it looks.
Its hard to see but the divet on the left and center are thin walled. You can feel the hole with your finger.

Attachments

• 1473380816290.jpg
    1473380816290.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 73
Top Bottom