First time Jeep owner with a blown engine??

Kyle7R

He's in Sport with a D30. 5.13 is a small pinion in that little housing. Some can make it work offroading, but I would bet that's the exception, not the rule.

So your going replace other stuff that isn't broken but ignore the huge crack in the exhaust manifold?

Sounds like you got it all figured out. Why did you come here and ask for opinions?

Looks like he drove 20 hours, for a high mileage Rubicon because it was "modded" that broke down on him coming home. Now he's spending money he should/could have invested in a better Jeep here locally. :crazyeyes:

DKjeep

I'm holding off on the header purchase since I've sourced a motor locally that has them already on there. I want to try to get to the bottom of this before tossing in the towel and buying another motor (without breaking the bank).

Before purchasing the Jeep, I vaguely remember seeing a chart and 5.13 for 35's were within range.

Do these 3.8L engine's main fuel line have a test port? Or am I looking at having to remove the intake manifold?

Its a perfect ratio for the tire size. Also I had my manifold off recently and I dont remember seeing a port on any portion of the fuel line. I could have missed it though as I wasnt looking for it.

still in school

Looks like he drove 20 hours, for a high mileage Rubicon because it was "modded" that broke down on him coming home. Now he's spending money he should/could have invested in a better Jeep here locally. :crazyeyes:

So Houstonians take better care of their cars and are more honest regarding car service history? I've been screwed worst buying locally. But regardless, what's done is done and I'd rather not waste time being upset but instead utilize that time to figure what I can do moving forward. At the end of the day, it's just a material item.

For the record, OP states his rig is an '07 Rubi

Thanks.

Well, rather then waste my time testing everything, I went ahead and pulled the oil pan. This is what I found. Yep, looks like I need a new motor!

ev0yrl.jpg

2iql9c1.jpg

DKjeep

That really sucks, can you tell where it is coming from exactly? Are you going to find a used one for replacement or rebuild?

still in school

Shouldnt be too hard to find a salvage replacement

It actually isn't found but surprisingly expensive from local salvage yards.

That really sucks, can you tell where it is coming from exactly? Are you going to find a used one for replacement or rebuild?

From the bearings. Looks like spun bearings? It's cheaper to just toss another engine in. Found a guy doing a LS swap so he's selling me his old motor. He's actually going to install for me as well. Might even be a member of this forum. Cool dude.

You should replace the cracked header.

LOL!

Kyle7R

So Houstonians take better care of their cars and are more honest regarding car service history?

That was not my point at all, but more so that in your 20+ hour journey you likely passed 100's of other Jeeps for sale in your price range. Because you had your mind set on one specific vehicle(we have all been guilty off this at some point)

That being said, I hope you got a killer deal on this thing, and you can get it back on the road and enjoy it sooner rather than later :thumb:

still in school

That was not my point at all, but more so that in your 20+ hour journey you likely passed 100's of other Jeeps for sale in your price range. Because you had your mind set on one specific vehicle(we have all been guilty off this at some point)

That being said, I hope you got a killer deal on this thing, and you can get it back on the road and enjoy it sooner rather than later :thumb:

Yes, it was a pretty killer deal. One thing I must admit is that the Jeep community is freakin' awesome. When my car died, the ONLY person that stopped to see if I was ok was a fellow JKU. Even offered to tow me off the road. The person fixing my Jeep also owns 3 JK's himself and is a kickass dude. I'm really diggin' the community. :rock:

Robs_Red_JK

wow that is such a bummer about the engine. I'm sorry if i missed it but did you figure out what might have caused the issue? I have the same Bully dog GT tuner on my 07 and I run it on regular fuel all the time with no trouble or pinging. When I had done my research on it the performance tune is supposed to be fine with regular fuel and the premium tune needs 91 octane. Atleast thats what I had thought but now I think I will go back and check. Good luck getting it back on the road. The Jeep community is really a great one to be involved in!

still in school

wow that is such a bummer about the engine. I'm sorry if i missed it but did you figure out what might have caused the issue? I have the same Bully dog GT tuner on my 07 and I run it on regular fuel all the time with no trouble or pinging. When I had done my research on it the performance tune is supposed to be fine with regular fuel and the premium tune needs 91 octane. Atleast thats what I had thought but now I think I will go back and check. Good luck getting it back on the road. The Jeep community is really a great one to be involved in!

Looks to be from a spun bearing. I'll have to ask my mechanic since it's in his possession now. I'm definitely not going to deal with a tune when I get her back.

Top Bottom