Help!!!!! What would cause this?

Mikelang

So while I was out driving yesterday I started to notice a strange clicking noise that sounded like it was coming from the rearend. When I got home from work today I decide to pull the diff cover off and take a look. This is what I found. Carnage. Looks like a few busted teeth and some of the bolts for the locker are loose and one has backed out and is now wedged in there. Any ideas on what would cause this? Think is safe to tighten everything back down and limp to a shop? I'm not sure if I have the knowledge to fix this myself. Thanks in advance for any help. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1467068146.755116.jpg

Frydaddy

Wow, yea thats rough. I would guess the one locker bolt caused the tooth damage. They should tighten back down with an 8mm 12-point socket. if you already drove on it, it probably wont get much worse. The one thats wedged in, wedge it back out and chase the threads if you have a tap and die set.

Edit: Admin: please move this back one level to the regular JK forum.

Last edited:

Gadget

Caught the Bug
My guess is it wasn't installed properly, I wouldn't think driving it like that would be a good idea. Take a lot of pictures for whomever did the install.

cashin

Who did the install? Looks like a failure I had with a terra flex install several years back. Never again!
v

Mikelang

The install was done a year or so ago by Axel Boy. They are a local offroad shop. How hard would this be to repair myself? I'd like to think I'm pretty mechanical but don't want to tare into it and not have the tools or knowledge to complete the job. Would it just require I unbolting and replacing with new parts?

Gadget

Caught the Bug
Looks like you're missing teeth on the ring gear, I'd get someone that knows what they are doing to fix it.

JKbrick

The install was done a year or so ago by Axel Boy. They are a local offroad shop. How hard would this be to repair myself? I'd like to think I'm pretty mechanical but don't want to tare into it and not have the tools or knowledge to complete the job. Would it just require I unbolting and replacing with new parts?

Unless you can set up ring and pinions properly I wouldn't think it's a diy fix. I also don't believe the bolts that backed out are anything the installer would have touched but I could be wrong. Hopefully the shop that did the install can go back against the locker manufacturer. Def take lots of pics

cashin

Don't be surprised when removed that the pinion bearing has spun. Excessive vibration is what causes the bolts to back out.

Mikelang

So I called a few local shops today. Looks like the rebuild will cost anywhere from $1,200-$1,800 with parts and labor. You guys think this sounds about right?

WJCO

Meme King
Depends on the cost of the carrier/locker. Gearset is normally about 300 with master install kit. Labor is about 500 (most shops). So that plus the locker/carrier itself.

DKjeep

What all comes with that price? That seems very steep for a single axle. You could buy all the tools and parts yourself, do the learning, and fix it in your spare time and keep $500 of that in your pocket if you dont have to replace the carrier.

Mikelang

The locker seems to work fine still. I'm hoping that it doesn't need to be replaced. Just a new ring gear and pinion.

Mikelang

I just don't want to try it myself and end up costing me more money in the long run. I'm a huge DIY guy but this one scares me a little. I know I can unbolt everything and get it back together but making sure the pinion depth and backlash is set perfectly is what I'm nervous about.

WJCO

Meme King
I just don't want to try it myself and end up costing me more money in the long run. I'm a huge DIY guy but this one scares me a little. I know I can unbolt everything and get it back together but making sure the pinion depth and backlash is set perfectly is what I'm nervous about.

Requires a press too.

Top Bottom