Cargo/Roof Racks

tonytony9

Hey forums,

I am looking at purchasing a roof rack for my jku and wanted to hear any recommendations on brands or types. There seems to be a plethora of different ones to choose from that vastly vary in price. I definitely do not want to be spending $1,000 on a rack and I am not opposed to buying used.

I decided to take my truck out to school with me in order to go on weekend outdoor trips. I will be taking multiple 900 miles drive just out to school, so I need a rack that will be able to hold maybe a suitcase, hockey bags, skis or snowboards. Does not have to be all at one time, but you get the point. Although, I would like to be able to add attachments to the rack for things such as a shovel/axe, hi-lift, or even a light bar.

Any suggestions would be great and I would love to see some pictures. I want something that will make my truck look a little more aggressive. Definitely not opposed to one that mounts to a hardtop as I think I will be using my hard top only at school.

g00se04

I bought a rhino rack for my jku, which limits me to running the hardtop whenever I need the roof rack. I liked the low height of the rhino rack along with the fact that you can just pull the rack off by itself but still have the mounting system in place which helps when driving around the city for parking decks.

GraniteCrystal

Be sure to look at weight ratings, tie down points, and wind noise. Nothing is more lame than a rack that can't support it, can't hold it, or makes a ton of noise on the highway.

tonytony9

I have my eye on the new Maximus 3 Roof Rack. You can use it with your hard top on or off. But it is about a grand... that's why only my eye is on it until I can afford it. :icon_crazy: I do have a Roof Top Tent so that is why I'm looking at this rack versus something else.

https://maximus-3.com/home/maximus-3-roof-rack-short-platform

I like this one a lot, like you mentioned though it is expensive for really not that much. I would probably be dropping around $900 on it without even getting the cross bars or having a way to secure most of my equipment. Also, I would love to be able to attach a shovel or lift onto it.

TRLJNKY

Lol I dont even notice the wind noise on mine but I roll with my windows down and radio up most the time anyway. Im happy with mine. Serves my purpose but others may disagree with my choice. I run the Smittybuilt. Works great for my RTT and Kayaks. I went in expecting a lil bit of noise though.

BPA

I recently picked up a Frontrunner Outfitters Slimline II Half-Rack and added one more slat to make it just a little longer. They're pretty solid and windnoise is surprisingly minimal provided you install the wind deflector. They also have tons of accessories, kayak mounts, awnings, RTT's, fuel can mounts, etc.

geberhard

Douchebag
Gobi obvioulsy rocks, very low profile but a lot more $$ even used. Have you looked into the Kargo master Safari racks? They are very well made (I had on my TJ) and they support a lot of weight. On the budget side Road Armor and Barricade are in the $500 range new, so worth looking into that. Are you looking more for functionality and capacity or looks only? What are you planning to carry?

IgotaWoody39

Gobi obvioulsy rocks, very low profile but a lot more $$ even used. Have you looked into the Kargo master Safari racks? They are very well made (I had on my TJ) and they support a lot of weight. On the budget side Road Armor and Barricade are in the $500 range new, so worth looking into that. Are you looking more for functionality and capacity or looks only? What are you planning to carry?
I've got an LOD sliding roof rack i want to unload....it doesnt have the floor option, but does have the pull arm and the frt deflector,,,,,

Top Bottom