Detroit locker in front axle

AZMikeD

If a Detroit locker was installed in a front axle, does it remain unlocked when in 2wd?

Had this debate with some buddies the other night and none of us were completely sure.

Thanks

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
If a Detroit locker was installed in a front axle, does it remain unlocked when in 2wd?

Had this debate with some buddies the other night and none of us were completely sure.

Thanks

I don't know about any of the new ones, but about 15 years ago I had an International Scout locked in the front with a Detroit. It stayed locked in 2WD. It would clank and make noise during sharp turns and cause the tires to chirp because it was forcing them to keep the same speed/rotation, even during normal turning. Navigating a parking lot was an uncomfortable event too. Again, not sure if they have changed something, hopefully someone who has had one will chime in.

p38

Caught the Bug
I have Detroits front and rear. I think there is more to your question. Engaging front wheel drive - at least for my rig - I have a Atlas xfer case, requires both the xfer case to select either hi or low for front and the front hubs to locked. My understanding - without the hubs being locked, the front axles would not turn so the locker wouldn't sense any slip. Hubs unlocked - the front wheels turn freely. I'm sure there are others on this forum with more technical knowledge who add to/correct this info.

AZMikeD

I have Detroits front and rear. I think there is more to your question. Engaging front wheel drive - at least for my rig - I have a Atlas xfer case, requires both the xfer case to select either hi or low for front and the front hubs to locked. My understanding - without the hubs being locked, the front axles would not turn so the locker wouldn't sense any slip. Hubs unlocked - the front wheels turn freely. I'm sure there are others on this forum with more technical knowledge who add to/correct this info.

That's a good point. I didn't consider some off-road vehicles have locking hubs. More specifically, we were discussing our Jeeps which do not have locking hubs so the driveshafts/diffs/axles spin with the wheels when in 2WD.

Thanks!

AZMikeD

I don't know about any of the new ones, but about 15 years ago I had an International Scout locked in the front with a Detroit. It stayed locked in 2WD. It would clank and make noise during sharp turns and cause the tires to chirp because it was forcing them to keep the same speed/rotation, even during normal turning. Navigating a parking lot was an uncomfortable event too. Again, not sure if they have changed something, hopefully someone who has had one will chime in.

Interesting. I know improvements have been made with the Detroit lockers throughout the years but I don't know if that would affect this functionality. I hope someone else can chime in.

Thanks!

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Without torque applied the locker will clank/ ratchet. That is what they are designed to do. Running down the road straight(ish) it won't be noticeable. Harder turns is where it ratchets to allow the outside wheel to turn faster. If it was locked you would be dragging, squealing tired and it would be very difficult to steer.

AZMikeD

Without torque applied the locker will clank/ ratchet. That is what they are designed to do. Running down the road straight(ish) it won't be noticeable. Harder turns is where it ratchets to allow the outside wheel to turn faster. If it was locked you would be dragging, squealing tired and it would be very difficult to steer.

Thank you sir!

Top Bottom