Ignition Timing Problem

General Jelly

Hi Guys

I seem to have a problem with my 1997 TJ , 4.0lt,the problem is when you pull off and accelerate there is no power,once above 2000 rpm she starts to take off,My mate put his scan tool onto it ant the timing advance is sitting at 17 degrees when on idle,and when you rev her it goes to between 37 and 44 degrees,we tested his wrangler which is the same as mine and on idle his sits at 4 degress and when you rev to 2000 it climbs to 21 degrees........tried to adjust timing,but it can not be adjusted.....

Please help.....

Cheers
Sheldon

Scrambler

Sheldon I had basically an identical scenario with my TJ and started throwing parts at it thinking it had something to do with timing. About $700 later with no change in the problem, I tested the fuel pump to find out it was bad. Replaced it and haven't had a problem since. I can't help with the timing issue, but just for shits and gigs, see how much pressure you are getting from your fuel pump.

General Jelly

Sheldon I had basically an identical scenario with my TJ and started throwing parts at it thinking it had something to do with timing. About $700 later with no change in the problem, I tested the fuel pump to find out it was bad. Replaced it and haven't had a problem since. I can't help with the timing issue, but just for shits and gigs, see how much pressure you are getting from your fuel pump.

Hi Scrambler

I changed the timing chain and gears, it made no difference,what should the fuel pressure be.......am going to put a gauge on it tomorrow.

WJCO

Meme King
Does it drop under load? You can tape the gauge to the windshield and test drive it.

Top Bottom