Does this look right?

JKbrick

Thank you for reaching out to us with your concerns, JKbrick. We apologize for your frustration; I'd be happy to help.

The first assembly you pictured looks to have excessive weights. like a few other members noted, it looks like that tire should have been 180d on the wheel and re-balanced. I'm not sure if this did or did not happen, so you may want to reach out to the store manager about that. How does the vehicle drive? The second assembly looks fine to me. On a side note, from your images it appears some the original wheel weights were possibly thrown off when the vehicle was in use. You wouldn't space out the weights like pictured in the first image.

As for the mounting pad surface, they were not sanded. However it appears they were buffed using a wire wheel brush. This is something we do to rid the mounting surface of debris, rust and/or corrosion. When the hub surface is buffed as well, it becomes a preventative measure against joint settling.

Thank you, I went back today and talked to them and told him I wasn't sure about what I was seeing. He spun them before doing anything and they were both out of balance. Then he removed all the weight and spun again. The one with all the weight called for over 5 on each side! He did something to the machine and it asked him if he wanted to leave dynamic mode or something like that. He pushed the k2 button I think and spun it and it called for 1 oz
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1467934227.054235.jpg
The other one called for less on both sides but more in the middle
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1467934282.686947.jpg
I'm thinking the first one will be on the back axle or my spare. I'll try the other 3 tomorrow and see what happens, I already paid to have them balanced

Edit: he said no when I asked him to move the tire on the wheel

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Based on the position of the weights (in the middle of rim) he must of changed the machine to single plane. With your steering shimmy issue, I'm not sure that I'd be happy with that.

As for rotating the tire on the rim, I'm sure that they would be happy to do it if you're willing to pay for re-mounting. That's never included in the scope of balancing.

Last edited:

JKbrick

Based on the position of the weights (in the middle of rim), he changed the machine to single plane? Based on your issue, I'm not sure that I'd be happy with that.

I'm not sure either, the worst part of all of this is I didn't even think I had a problem I just wanted to have them balanced to make sure I didn't, and now I think I will. With only 13,200 miles on them I didn't really want to replace them yet. Sucks

rinkishjk

Wheel and tire combos sometimes require more effort to balance than others. It's a question of if the tech or person wants to take all that time per wheel. And a tires balance will differ if the tire bead is broken and it's rotated.

JKbrick

Wheel and tire combos sometimes require more effort to balance than others. It's a question of if the tech or person wants to take all that time per wheel. And a tires balance will differ if the tire bead is broken and it's rotated.

Well I guess I'll pay them to break them down and start over

sipafz

Caught the Bug
I'm not sure either, the worst part of all of this is I didn't even think I had a problem I just wanted to have them balanced to make sure I didn't, and now I think I will. With only 13,200 miles on them I didn't really want to replace them yet. Sucks

Since tires are expensive and if you're convinced that your tires are good, ask D.T. to work with you on it. Ask and pay for them to remove the worst tire from the rim, check out the inside of the tire for damage, check the run-out and roundness of the rim, re-mount and rebalance if everything checks out. I would ask them to dynamic balance, dual plane like they did the first time. If needed pay a bit more to rotate the tire on the rim a second time. If that works, repeat 4 more times. It will cost some more money, cheaper than buying all new tires.

JKbrick

Since tires are expensive and if you're convinced that your tires are good, ask D.T. to work with you on it. Ask and pay for them to remove the worst tire from the rim, check out the inside of the tire for damage, check the run-out and roundness of the rim, re-mount and rebalance if everything checks out. I would ask them to dynamic balance, dual plane like they did the first time. If needed pay a bit more to rotate the tire on the rim a second time. If that works, repeat 4 more times. It will cost some more money, cheaper than buying all new tires.

Sounds good, thank you for the advice, I appreciate it

Top Bottom