Simple or not- street pressure

lynchman

I have a new set of 35/17/17 mtr's. trying to factor in all variables to have proper pressure.
1: d rated tire
2: heavy jku , bumpers with tire carrier , sliders (all l.o.d.) winch
3: mounted on stock 7.5 rubi rims
Jeep rode fine with 30 psi, however, after 50 mile trip the tread was noticeably hotter on inside tread by touch. SO , i did the chaulk test .
Results showed hardly any wear on outer lugs. Things improved as i slowly aired down, however at 25 psi there is 3/4 in of non-wear on outermost lugs.
I am concerned with side wall heating up even without tire bulge.
I realize most of the problem is with the narrow rim.
My ? to the forum is at what point is lowering tire pressure counter productive to my setup and should i run a bit higher pressure at highway speed?

Journeyman

I would say there's definitely a possibility that the tires just wear a little quicker in the center because of the narrow factory rubi wheels. I get nice even wear and a nicer ride when my 35x12.5 are around 28-30 psi. I've had a few cold mornings where my pressure drops to 25 psi and I don't really like how the tires handle at those pressures. A little to soft for the hwy and freeway speeds. My tires are e-rated so they should be a stiffer sidewall than your d-rated tires. I would just keep playing with tire pressure until you find the best balance in tire wear and ride quality.

WJCO

Meme King
I run 28-30 with a winch, tire carrier, family of 5, and a bunch of tools. I just rotate them every oil change or sooner, no abnormal wear issues.

Ddays

Hooked
I had to drop all the way to 26 to get an acceptable ride and even wear. The chalk test doesn't lie but you need to be comfortable with the handling too.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
As you mentioned the main issues is with how narrow the stock wheels are with that how wide that tyre is. Not much you can do about that extra 3/4 tread not wearing.

TonyT

Caught the Bug
It doesn't matter what pressure you're running. With that skinny rim, the center of your tread is going to push-out at highway speed and wear faster.

I run the same tire in a 37x12.5R17 on 17x9" wheels. 10-12psi on the trail, 38psi on the roads, Phoenix Area, and I use 10oz of steel bb's inside for balancing. No problems, even wear. I got 45K out of my last set.

Top Bottom