shift linkage broken

Hi

I have a 2012 jk unlimited with the penyastar and 5 speed auto.

Had bad luck today and a branch did got stuck between the shaft and shift linkage cable.

How hard is it to repair this?

Do I need to buy a hole new wire all the way or is it only the end part made of plastic and some strange housing thing.

I´m a little bit worried about the metal lever attached to the gearbox, it is bent. Can it be remowed without opening the transmission?

Thanks in advance for help.

WP_20160711_001[1].jpg

Last edited:

Journeyman

Crazy! This happened to another member recently. Completely shut down his new jku. I believe he even had to be towed off the trail and then a tow truck to the dealer.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Hi

I have a 2012 jk unlimited with the penyastar and 5 speed auto.

Had bad luck today and a branch did got stuck between the shaft and shift linkage cable.

How hard is it to repair this?

Do I need to buy a hole new wire all the way or is it only the end part made of plastic and some strange collor thing.

I´m a little bit worried about the metal bracket attached to the gearbox, it is bent. Can it be remowed without opening the transmission?

Thanks in advance for help.

Is this for the transfer case linkage?

http://www.advanceadapters.com/products/715596--heavy-duty-jk-cable-shifter-upgrade/

My biggest concern is the metal lever on the side of the gearbox. It seems to me that the lever ( not sure about the english word for it ) is pressed to a smal pin and you have to open up the oil pan to reach maybee a bolt or something on the inside. Anyone know if that is the case?

The cable is probelry pretty easy to replace but I hope that it is possible to only replace the "end part" and not the whole wire package.

I leraned a lesson today, buy a steelplate to protect the tranny.

I was able to manually move the shift lever on the side of the automatic so I could drive home.

It was not even a trail or something like that. Just a dirt road with high gras and in the gras a branch was hidden. Proberly the branch was a little bit upp tilted and then got stuck and fucked up my belowed jeep. I felt like o shit, down in this mosqito infested "valley" with no possibiity to get a tow truck down there. The road was not hard or tough or anything like that but it was quiet steep down. But after 15 minutes I managed to start the jeep and move the lever to drive position. Scary under the jeep.

Anyone that knows if you have to remove the valve unit inside the auto trans or not to be able to take out the lever shifter plate located left side of trans near the oil pan. There is no bolt to unscrew, it looks like it is some kind of axle with splines.

Very strange if a big part inside box has to be removed just for change this little piece on the outside.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
It's been quite a few years since I've had one apart but I think there is a nut on the inside of the case and you have to drop the valve body to get to it. It's not something that is usually serviced hence the design. As far as automatics go they are really easy to take apart but I wouldn't do it if you don't know what your doing there is a bolt inside the main electrical connector that must come out to drop the valve body.

Can you straighten it where it is?

It's been quite a few years since I've had one apart but I think there is a nut on the inside of the case and you have to drop the valve body to get to it. It's not something that is usually serviced hence the design. As far as automatics go they are really easy to take apart but I wouldn't do it if you don't know what your doing there is a bolt inside the main electrical connector that must come out to drop the valve body.

Can you straighten it where it is?

Maybee I can straighten it out again.

Anyway, soon going to do a oil change and I will ask the service guy to drop the valve body. I have take a look on youtube and it seems to be pretty straight forward. The valve body seems to be a one unit and it seems to be attached with 10 or so torx screws.

My problem is that I have no garage and this seems not to be a work done on my dirt road outside the house.

Since I asked about this I think I should tell the outcome.

The wire was pretty straight forward to change out. Had to take out the center consol to be able to take away the old wire asembly and install the new one.

There where some electric connections to disconnect and 4 screws to remove to be able to lift the center console.

Anyway, it was a couple of hours work and nothing very hard to do.

The lever on the gearbox was straighten out, so do not know if the valvebody has to be removed in order to change the lever but I do know that at least the oilpan has to be removed.

The lever come already pressed on the axle so lever and axle is one piece.

Next time I do a oilchange in the tranny I will be able to see if the lever is just to unbolt or not but for now the original lever works alright, al that was needed was to straighten it out in order to work and perform like it was new.

Top Bottom