TJ a/c problem

Gadget

Caught the Bug
99 4.0 TJ, the air conditioner is still working but only when I have it set on high, it doesn't seem to work on the lower 3 settings, I already tried changing the 4 position fan switch in the dash and that didn't fix it. I would like to fix it before it quits all together and I break down and overpay someone to fix something that's probably simple and inexpensive so I don't have to be miserably sweaty while driving. Anybody familiar with this problem?

WJCO

Meme King
99 4.0 TJ, the air conditioner is still working but only when I have it set on high, it doesn't seem to work on the lower 3 settings, I already tried changing the 4 position fan switch in the dash and that didn't fix it. I would like to fix it before it quits all together and I break down and overpay someone to fix something that's probably simple and inexpensive so I don't have to be miserably sweaty while driving. Anybody familiar with this problem?

See if your blower resistor comes separate from your switch. That is likely the problem if that's the case.

If not, look at all connections for burnt spots and melting, that's usually what happens.

Once you get it working again, feel and smell the blower motor itself to make sure it's not getting too hot and drawing too much amperage so it doesn't cause the issue again.

WJCO

Meme King
No real knowledge of a/c systems, where would I find the blower resister?

I have no idea truthfully. Maybe DrDiesel would be nice enough to throw up an AllData screen shot after he's done with his next set of sliders. I'm sure he's around here somewhere. He usually has info for component location, etc.

ob_tj

The A/C in my 04 TJ hasn't blown cold air since the day I bought it. Thought about having someone fix it. But I learned to live with it. Windows down or top off.

Chad

Glad to hear that! My 04 was doing the same thing last year, blower resistor was a quick and easy fix.

Top Bottom