Wheeling alone

RolandJKU

You really should take a friend ESPECIALLY if you get lost...that way you can eat your friend if worst comes to worst.:cheesy:

Damn, my friend who eats a lot and would provide so many meals is out of town lol.

I think my biggest concern is the heat. A black jeep in above 100° temps. There are a few easy spots in my little backwoods book I may go check.

I'll turn around before attempting something sketchy

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Damn, my friend who eats a lot and would provide so many meals is out of town lol.

I think my biggest concern is the heat. A black jeep in above 100° temps. There are a few easy spots in my little backwoods book I may go check.

I'll turn around before attempting something sketchy

One thing to consider is I carry a battery booster for phone just in case battery dies. Bring tools. Check out WJCO's build he has got a nice set up in his rig he takes along. I'll even throw a case of bottled water. Does not have to be refrigerated it does the same for you warm or cold.

JeepPeeps

The wife and i go out alone most of the time, we just make sure we can survive 48 hours without help.
When we started doing that the 1st thing i got was a satellite phone with a "holy Shit" button ( a locator button ) and that gives you a much safer feel towards going out alone and the cost is not enough to make it prohibitive and then you can wheel even if you cant find anyone for that trip.
It seems like most of areas we wheel in have no cell service at all.

When we hit the Mojave trail 130 plus miles there is no cell service on Verizon for at least 75 miles of it... you can die out there if you are not prepared with water and communications.

Brute

Hooked
The wife and i go out alone most of the time, we just make sure we can survive 48 hours without help.
When we started doing that the 1st thing i got was a satellite phone with a "holy Shit" button ( a locator button ) and that gives you a much safer feel towards going out alone and the cost is not enough to make it prohibitive and then you can wheel even if you cant find anyone for that trip.
It seems like most of areas we wheel in have no cell service at all.

When we hit the Mojave trail 130 plus miles there is no cell service on Verizon for at least 75 miles of it... you can die out there if you are not prepared with water and communications.

I do the same...always have plenty of water & energy bars/beef jerky etc...and my Delorme Inreach sat communicator

NightFox915

I wheel alone most of the time but I do it towards sun down bring water and energy bars just in case, I take my husky with me she's my companion and loves chasing them bunnies lol oh and I take some personal defense as my 9mm you never know

CastleRockJeep

I go out alone, well small kids. Forrest roads, most cars could do it. I take food and water for everyone as well as jackets and blankets. My biolight stove is always with me, it'll even charge my cell phone. I tell people where I am going and a time that if I'm not back, should catch their attention.

DMF

My neighbor did just that a couple days ago and thought this road was was another way down. 4 other vehicles pass him by on this shelf road, try to help but couldn't pull him out. Later I got a txt from him asking if I could help because I had a winch. We got up there the next day but my little M800 winch wasn't enough to pull his stuck Jeep out. I had my tires chalk and everything but all it did was pull my jeep into his. Well anyways that XJ is still up there.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1468711164.629393.jpg

christov11

learned my lesson the hard way with my first jeep 10 years ago. :thumb:

it was around november. got stuck in the mud for a whole day. I kept trying because if she moves, she can get out. until nightfall when she wasnt budging. She was stuck there for 2 days and given the time of year, the mud froze overnight creating rediculous problems with the starter and alternator.

long story short, a week later I sold the jeep since she was too broken to be worth the fix.... or at least I thought so at the time. (idiot) :icon_crazy:

Even if I had supplies to alst em a few days it still sucked... and I rather not be in that situation again. had to wait 2 days to get a party together and a friend with a suburban was the only one able to pull me out...

wheeling alone: know the trail and be prepared for more than what you could imagine. Prepare for the end of the world and make damn sure people know where youre going and when youre supposed to be back.

Last edited:

Draconianwinter

learned my lesson the hard way with my first jeep 10 years ago. :thumb:

it was around november. got stuck in the mud for a whole day. I kept trying because if she moves, she can get out. until nightfall when she wasnt budging. She was stuck there for 2 days and given the time of year, the mud froze overnight creating rediculous problems with the starter and alternator.

long story short, a week later I sold the jeep since she was too broken to be worth the fix.... or at least I thought so at the time. (idiot) :icon_crazy:

Even if I had supplies to alst em a few days it still sucked... and I rather not be in that situation again. had to wait 2 days to get a party together and a friend with a suburban was the only one able to pull me out...

wheeling alone: know the trail and be prepared for more than what you could imagine. Prepare for the end of the world and make damn sure people know where youre going and when youre supposed to be back.

I used to be bad about not being able to sleep so I would go out and run trails even at 2 am. A small mud puddle broke me of that. Thing was only about 4 feet across., so no big deal right?. Lol was I ever wrong. At the time I owned a Nissan d21 hard body no lift other than f from the 31×10.50 bfg Baja ATs I put on it. Thankfully I was one to usually take my time when wheeling, and this night it was a very good thing. So I eased my steers into the puddle my Tues tool about a foot in and vanish. Turned out the puddle was very deep. Deep enough to cover my tires and come up over the hood. Feel free to laugh your assess off about now lol. So let's compound one noob mistake with even more, yes it gets better lol. So I an stuck badly abs of coarse what did I not have any recovery equipment at all, not even a shovel, and no one knew I was going lol. I spent from 2 am until 4pm using a large branch to dig myself out. Needless to say I now make sure someone at least knows where I am going and have two tow straps and a cum-along pulleys and rope to make a zdrag lol

mo0s3

I'll do it on easier trails and always bring gear planning on spending the night if something were to go wrong. I typically have 72 hours worth of supplies in the Jeep for most weather conditions.

This ^^^^.
But I would for sure let people know where your going to be !

mo0s3

My neighbor did just that a couple days ago and thought this road was was another way down. 4 other vehicles pass him by on this shelf road, try to help but couldn't pull him out. Later I got a txt from him asking if I could help because I had a winch. We got up there the next day but my little M800 winch wasn't enough to pull his stuck Jeep out. I had my tires chalk and everything but all it did was pull my jeep into his. Well anyways that XJ is still up there.
View attachment 212936

Oh man that stinks. Would be hard to leave a rig up there

Petthefish

The boy and I don't specifically go wheeling alone but the boy and I go hunting and fishing all over the state and in some pretty desolate places google search Oregon Sunstone hunting and you can get an idea where we are lol. We have been where Oregon Idaho and Nevada Meet that was a lonely place.

But we always have a few rules

1 Bring Water and food (((((Lots of Water))))))
2 Paper maps (never trust GPS)
3 Full size spare
4 Self Recovery Gear (shovel and tools)

And most importantly
5 Momma Always knows where we are going and at what point she needs to worry if she has not heard from us.

We always leave a detail map and info of what roads and where we will be going. And Never veer from that without calling momma first
so far God is good and we have not needed her to call in the calvary but if we ever did get into a pickle I know she could help us

CC Dad

One of the biggest mistakes you will ever make is "I thought I could make it." You can challenge yourself when you are out with a group. When you are alone you need to minimize risk. The other day I went out with my 13 year old daughter and the dog. I only put in 4wd once, avoided all the mud holes, and we still got where we were going and had a fun time.

Serg5000

This subject never gets old.
The fact is, it's not always possible to have another rig or rigs with you. Schedules don't always line up. My girl and I wheel alone all the time. Does it make it the right thing to do? Or the wrong thing to do. The answer I have is carry some kind of locating device. Spot. Or inReach. Something you can use to inform others back home that all is well. Or that your in need of some type of help.

Either way. Happy wheeling.

Big Bad Wolf

I had a good laugh out of bringing a friend along to eat :thumb:

I mostly wheel alone, not even a passenger. I have no choice sometimes. I have had to sleep out a night and call for recovery help on numerous occasions. Lessons learned are:

- Pack all you can like everyone here says. Including water and a water filter if possible. Tools and spare parts are great, but don't forget lighting... Headlamps for recovery and hiking are best.

- Tell someone where you are going and when you should be back.
- Bring a communication device but never rely on it. A personal locator are a bonus, PLB's over "Spot" if possible. Make sure it is in reach in the event of a roll over.

Bring hiking shoes, extra clothes and any other survival equipment... the list is vast.

When I crawl on rock I tend to stay within a hiking distance.

Breaking down sucks.. Especialy when there is no one that can pull you out. Learn and check your Rig before each ride.

Just a few suggestions,

Cheers,

Big Bad Wolf

christov11

I used to be bad about not being able to sleep so I would go out and run trails even at 2 am. A small mud puddle broke me of that. Thing was only about 4 feet across., so no big deal right?. Lol was I ever wrong. At the time I owned a Nissan d21 hard body no lift other than f from the 31×10.50 bfg Baja ATs I put on it. Thankfully I was one to usually take my time when wheeling, and this night it was a very good thing. So I eased my steers into the puddle my Tues tool about a foot in and vanish. Turned out the puddle was very deep. Deep enough to cover my tires and come up over the hood. Feel free to laugh your assess off about now lol. So let's compound one noob mistake with even more, yes it gets better lol. So I an stuck badly abs of coarse what did I not have any recovery equipment at all, not even a shovel, and no one knew I was going lol. I spent from 2 am until 4pm using a large branch to dig myself out. Needless to say I now make sure someone at least knows where I am going and have two tow straps and a cum-along pulleys and rope to make a zdrag lol

twinsies :rock:

hahahaha

thardy

Banned
View attachment 212936

Did he ever recover the XJ?

Top Bottom